Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

thinking to get x plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2021 MYP with only 7000 miles and started to think if I should get X plaid.
The Y is too plain: no ventilated seats, single screen actually uncomfortable to use to see cars around me, and acceleration of x plaid is very attractive to me (i'm the guy who appreciate acceleration first and tires and mileage second).
So, after watching recent price drops should I get 2023 X plaid or wait till next X major release?
Also I'm not big fan of 6 seat arrangement in X plaid. I would prefer 5 with folded rear seats.

So, after watching recent price drops should I get 2023 X plaid or wait till next X major release?

I suppose that depends on when the next "major release" is, what you consider a "major release" and what pricing may be at that time.

Right now, you can get new existing inventory MX Plaids for $7,500 off which can bring the price down a total of $38,000 versus retail pricing at the beginning of the year. That's like getting over 25% off but who knows where pricing will go from here.

Reactions: y20221229
If you wait for what's around the corner your never going to get there. You're never going to pull the trigger because there will always be a corner to go around.

I went from a 2019 X 100D to a 2023 X Long Range, not the Plaid about almost 2 months ago. I got the 7 seater because the 6 seater doesn't fold down in the middle row. The air cooled seats are R E A L L Y nice. Plenty of storage room. We got MSM color and cream interior.

I wrote up a list of missing software between the 2019 and the refresh 2023. It's somewhere on TMC. They dropped a lot of features that I miss from the 2019. I don't think there are any plans to bring them over to the refresh, after all it's been aver a year since the refresh.

The Ultra RED is a good looking car.

-stew

had a test drive today. It was regular 6 seater X because apparently tesla doesn't offer plaid for test drives.
In summary I wasn't impressed comparing with my current MYP.
Nice to have better interior, ventilated seats, another screen in front, couple cool gimmicks like closing door when you push the brake, but overall I don't see it 50K better than MYP. Restriction to have only 6 seats in plaid doesn't help either.
I'll try to find x plaid and may be it will be more satisfying.

You can get up to $10k discount on existing inventory now. Unfortunately, they don't offer free SC at the moment. But, if you are not relying on SC that much. I think this is a good buy with current discount... I picked up my MXP the end of June promo with $7k discount and 6 years free SC :p

had a test drive today. It was regular 6 seater X because apparently tesla doesn't offer plaid for test drives.
In summary I wasn't impressed comparing with my current MYP.
Nice to have better interior, ventilated seats, another screen in front, couple cool gimmicks like closing door when you push the brake, but overall I don't see it 50K better than MYP. Restriction to have only 6 seats in plaid doesn't help either.
I'll try to find x plaid and may be it will be more satisfying.
The MXP's astounding performance is its biggest differentiating feature (especially for an SUV). For that level of performance alone, I think the MXP is a bargain. But if that doesn't appeal to you, then I agree, it's probably not worth the $50K over a MYP. You can get a M3P with the difference. ;-)

Reactions: preilly44
I came to MP only for performance reason. Obviously it's not on top of luxury or quality in the car world but none of competitors have this level of performance. Now I just need to decide if I agree to have best performance with subpar quality and luxury package.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
I went from 22 Model Y performance to 23 X plaid and have zero regrets. The Y was a great car, the X plaid is better in every way for me. Quieter, faster, better suspension, better stereo, seats, user interface. For me the x plaid was well worth it. I loved the y performance as well. Love the Falcon doors and the yoke too. The x plaid, is a y performance on steroids.

it comes down to whether you value your 3-row family suv being as fast as a 720s, 296.... if you dont then there are better options imo (r1s, bunch of other ICEs). but if you do, x plaid is the only game in town. I wanted that kind of speed for my main car and i couldn't afford owning or maintaining mclaren/ferraris, so x plaid made a lot of sense to me. it also happens to be super practical and have decent driving dynamic in additional to its acceleration. On any highway pull, it's significantly faster than any of my prior/other fast cars like the gt500/r8 v10+.

Last edited:
Reactions: y20221229
first wave of people who was waiting for the first cut will jump on existing inventory and it will be gone in couple weeks. After that Tesla will need another price cut to move X and S before they do major upgrades to those models.

first wave of people who was waiting for the first cut will jump on existing inventory and it will be gone in couple weeks. After that Tesla will need another price cut to move X and S before they do major upgrades to those models.
They just did a major upgrade ~2 years ago (I’ve driven older and newer Xs and the changes are quite profound). They are low volume compared to all their other models, especially CT which will be getting lots of attention for some time. All this to say, don’t hold your breath.