Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I note we have a ship alongside Pier 80 in San Francisco - CSAV RIO NEVADO.
She will be replaced with AMBER ARROW which in turn will be replaced with GLOVIS CLIPPER!
What's happening???
You tell us, lol...

I can't imagine they're sending more Fremont cars to Canada...and even if they were, they would send them by truck or train. Much faster and cheaper than a boat.

If they are Tesla shipments, they could be going to almost anywhere in the Pacific Rim, lol

95311CA2-1B48-4A89-8942-E46BB4EDA7D6.jpeg

Yay! Hopefully no strike.

So over in California, it looks like CSAV RIO NEVADO may have delivered something from Japan.
Unfortunately, a contact I have who lives not too far away from Pier 80 won't go near San Francisco anymore regarding it as unsafe - even in daylight, so no chance of seeing what is sitting on the dockside.
The next 2 ships have travelled from down the coast and so are more likely to be picking up and delivering to the Far East.
We shall see.....

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG and navguy12
You tell us, lol...

I can't imagine they're sending more Fremont cars to Canada...and even if they were, they would send them by truck or train. Much faster and cheaper than a boat.

If they are Tesla shipments, they could be going to almost anywhere in the Pacific Rim, lol
Have you any idea how expensive rail transport is in the US?
The only benefit is that demand for west to east railcars is much less than E-W and so some bargaining might be able to be done.
The US railfreight companies are nobody's fools and drive a hard bargain.

Have you any idea how expensive rail transport is in the US?
The only benefit is that demand for west to east railcars is much less than E-W and so some bargaining might be able to be done.
The US railfreight companies are nobody's fools and drive a hard bargain.
Fair point...automakers generally use trains to send vehicles cross-border though. I can't say I've heard of cars being shipped from the US to Canada by sea.

Apparently my leasing paperwork got delayed, and just got told this by Tesla:

We assigned a vehicle on the `24th May which we wanted to deliver on the 13th June. During this time your leasing company did not send leasing authorisation which is what the point in regards to the finalisation of your order refers to. Therefore the vehicle was unassigned from the order. Your leasing company sent leasing authorisation on the 21st June and currently we do not have any more vehicles available.We are at the end of q2 and all vehicles have been assigned, the next allocations will be in Q3 which is July - September. We cannot advise on a specific date as the shipments have not yet been scheduled.

Considering the shipment from China to UK is around 30 days, and the ships for Q3 haven't even departured yet, I guess I'm looking at a minimum of 5 or 6 weeks (being lucky) for my Model 3 :(

Maybe when other websites updated means its a solid date...
As long as the ship is out of range of terrestrial AIS receivers and you don't pay for a satellite subscription, the information will always be out of date.
Our tracker uses satellite data and its free, what is there not to like?

Fair point...automakers generally use trains to send vehicles cross-border though. I can't say I've heard of cars being shipped from the US to Canada by sea.
The other problem with using rail to transport cars is the scheduling - it is wickedly complicated. Unless you have regular departures at set times that have been scheduled by the rail companies you really have no idea when the cars will arrive at the destination. Actually that's a bit of an exaggeration - you have an idea of when the cars will arrive but the bigger the distance the more chance of delays despite priority being given to freight over passenger trains. For the big car manufacturers this is not a problem, since the cars will just be heading for a compound for storage, however timing is everything for Tesla since every car is generally already sold.
In 2019 we saw Model 3s being transported from Fremont to Vancouver by sea.

Good afternoon Mr. Miserable.

Today, a video recorded on June 29 has been released from the south port of Shanghai where a large number of Teslas are seen, I would say that they are all MY. At the same time, a piece of news has come out informing that the Texas Gigafactory will make a 5-day technical stop on the MY assembly line.

In addition to all this, in the next few days two ships will arrive at the southern port of Shanghai, the Morning Margareta and the Grand Sapphire on July 2 and 7, and both have Tacoma as their destination port.

What do you think? Do you think all these cars in the video are to cover the lack of production in Texas?

You can see the images of the port at the end of the video

I leave the video link here, greetings.

Good afternoon Mr. Miserable.

Today, a video recorded on June 29 has been released from the south port of Shanghai where a large number of Teslas are seen, I would say that they are all MY. At the same time, a piece of news has come out informing that the Texas Gigafactory will make a 5-day technical stop on the MY assembly line.

In addition to all this, in the next few days two ships will arrive at the southern port of Shanghai, the Morning Margareta and the Grand Sapphire on July 2 and 7, and both have Tacoma as their destination port.

What do you think? Do you think all these cars in the video are to cover the lack of production in Texas?

You can see the images of the port at the end of the video

I leave the video link here, greetings.

No M3 are being produced at the moment in Shanghai as the lines are being rejigged for the refreshed M3 and so it is no surprise to only see MY. Although it looks like some pre-production models have been produced - you can see them in the fenced-off area at 1:16 in the video. The cars are covered unfortunately.

MORNING MARGARETA is currently lined up to approach into Shanghai South. As I mentioned yesterday, she will arrive in Vancouver on 15 Jul before heading down to Tacoma on 18 Jul.
GRAND SAPPHIRE will arrive in Tacoma on 22 Jul before heading up to Vancouver on 25 Jul.

These are not first shipments to follow this pattern and so I think it is safe to say that it is not associated with any shutdown in Texas. I suspect the cars being offloaded in Tacoma are RWD MY probably destined to the Canadian east coast.

Last edited:
No M3 are being produced at the moment in Shanghai as the lines are being rejigged for the refreshed M3 and so it is no surprise to only see MY.

MORNING MARGARETA is currently lined up to approach into Shanghai South. As I mentioned yesterday, she will arrive in Vancouver on 15 Jul before heading down to Tacoma on 18 Jul.
GRAND SAPPHIRE will arrive in Tacoma on 22 Jul before heading up to Vancouver on 25 Jul.

These are not first shipments to follow this pattern and so I think it is safe to say that it is not associated with any shutdown in Texas. I suspect the cars being offloaded in Tacoma are RWD MY.
Since the Ports in Vancouver are on strike, do you think there is a contingency plan for the VIKING SEA?

No M3 are being produced at the moment in Shanghai as the lines are being rejigged for the refreshed M3 and so it is no surprise to only see MY. Although it looks like some pre-production models have been produced - you can see them in the fenced-off area at 1:16 in the video. The cars are covered unfortunately.

These are not first shipments to follow this pattern and so I think it is safe to say that it is not associated with any shutdown in Texas. I suspect the cars being offloaded in Tacoma are RWD MY probably destined to the Canadian east coast.
Perfect, I had not seen in the programming these boats that had a stop in Vancouver.

Thank you!!