Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 upgrade to a bigger rear screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had made an appt for this as well! And they said they have the exact part in stock (the part number mentioned in this thread), and they offered a mobile appt for installation this morning. Still waiting for the tech but will definitely check if it’s the new part before they do anything. Hopefully will go smoothly. Totally agree that I worry something could get scratched while they work, always that fear. 😬

Saw the new rear appliqué and I’m tempted to change mine out….not sure if it’s a plug and play part? Anyone do this yet?
IMG_2732.jpeg

The mobile technician still working on the screen install about 45 mins now. Hopefully things are going ok. I work from home but tethered to my computer currrntly so can’t watch him as he does it. 🤞🏾 I did verify the part number mentioned in this thread and the screen indeed looks to be with thin bezels. Surprised they had this in stock when I made my appt.

Thanks cali_doc for that update that the car firmware may need updating. I’m not sure if this tech has done a model x screen replacement before so will check w him re possibly updating software if screen doesn’t turn on or give issues.

Hi Cali_doc,

I was wondering when they said they had to update the software, was the screen not showing up with anything on it prior to this? The mobile tech just left and said also the software needs to reinstall, as of now the screen was turning on but no content was coming up. I’m hoping the reinstall will be the key.

Hi Cali_doc,

I was wondering when they said they had to update the software, was the screen not showing up with anything on it prior to this? The mobile tech just left and said also the software needs to reinstall, as of now the screen was turning on but no content was coming up. I’m hoping the reinstall will be the key.
Ok, the reinstall firmware did it! When started the car, I had to tap to turn on the new rear display. But all good and mobile service did a great job getting it installed.👍🏾

IMG_2507.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2506.jpeg
    IMG_2506.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Love
Reactions: z_yury and Maaz
Weird that’s the software they reinstalled it to.
The new rear screen media icons look like this
View attachment 947026
Hm that’s wierd! THe icons on yours looks different. The software just installed the same firmware number as I had as of yesterday: 2023.7.15. I actually initially updated to this version yesterday , and after the screen install today, the update screen showed it was ready to install “New” software, it gave me the same version to be installed as I updated to yesterday…I thought it just need to reinstall to recognize the new hardware model number.

I do have FSD beta and I know the beta folks are behind in the general version numbers so that may be accounts for the slightly different interface? Do you have FSD Beta as well?

So this is not plug and play? If i'm able to source this 2023 screen what exactely do i need to do besides take out my old 2022 thick bezel screen and install this newer thin bezel screen.
As far as I can tell, it does look like it’s essentially plug and play. Since I had to go back to my house to do some work on my computer, I was not present for the install, but the tech literally just brought the new screen for me to verify (without any other hardware around it), then proceeded to take off the old screen (he had to remove some of the rear console in the back around the screen from what I could tell before leaving him to do the job) and put this one in. The back of the new screen from what I could see had just a one place to plug in a cable. I think the software to be re-installed doesn’t seem anything new, my guess it just needs to reinstall to recognize and register this new screen hardware model number. The actual install took the guy maybe 30-40 mins.

Perhaps someone can elaborate better, more technically so.