Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 upgrade to a bigger rear screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hm that’s wierd! THe icons on yours looks different. The software just installed the same firmware number as I had as of yesterday: 2023.7.15. I actually initially updated to this version yesterday , and after the screen install today, the update screen showed it was ready to install “New” software, it gave me the same version to be installed as I updated to yesterday…I thought it just need to reinstall to recognize the new hardware model number.

I do have FSD beta and I know the beta folks are behind in the general version numbers so that may be accounts for the slightly different interface? Do you have FSD Beta as well?
Ohhhh yep I believe the fsd beta build is the reason. I am NOT on FSD build.

Reactions: Kitt9000
Screen was completed after 2.5 hours and firmware update. It appears to be working but I have not had time to play with it. No major damage from Tesla except a nick in the bottom of the trim. Having my interior guy come paint and repair the damage. Yes I’m ocd and proud of it 😂. I would point it out to Tesla and have them replace and fix it but I simply do not trust their service people….sadly.
IMG_2739.jpeg

can you guys please share your tesla receipt of having this done. I have tryed and tesla has refused this service to me and i even tryed to just buy it and install it myself and they have refused to sell me this rear screen.

I will try to get this done again and Hopefully with the help of some of your reciepts showing this begine done i will be sucesfull with tesla

Screen was completed after 2.5 hours and firmware update. It appears to be working but I have not had time to play with it. No major damage from Tesla except a nick in the bottom of the trim. Having my interior guy come paint and repair the damage. Yes I’m ocd and proud of it 😂. I would point it out to Tesla and have them replace and fix it but I simply do not trust their service people….sadly.View attachment 947129
Agh sorry to see that. It was dark in my garage, I haven’t even really looked to see if there are any small scratches. Would bother me too, not typically an ocd person, but man my Tesla makes me a little ocd’ish. Glad to see your screen working well too otherwise! They also did not let me keep my screen, by the time the tech told me he was done and gone, he had taken the old screen. I wasn’t surprised after reading the posts here.

Reactions: PreguntsAnswrs
can you guys please share your tesla receipt of having this done. I have tryed and tesla has refused this service to me and i even tryed to just buy it and install it myself and they have refused to sell me this rear screen.

I will try to get this done again and Hopefully with the help of some of your reciepts showing this begine done i will be sucesfull with tesla
I actually attached z_yuri’s receipt snippet to my screen request that was posted which was immensely helpful, thanks to z_yuri for that help!

I will also attached a snippet of my receipt, hope that helps!
IMG_2510.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jnericks and z_yury
I phoned Tesla after I looked up that it is a simple plug and play part to see if they would replace it and sure enough they said yes and set up a mobile visit! View attachment 947348
Awesome, glad they were able to set that up! I think slowly they are realizing it’s a replaceable part, may have greater availability now as well given when I set up a mobile visit, they said they had one already in stock, which surprised me.

Reactions: PreguntsAnswrs
Finally had some time to tinker with the install. Verified plug and play, no firmware flash needed. Just a reboot. Note there is no ground screw location on the new screen; ground it direct to the wire going into the lcd.View attachment 947369
Stupid question but how hard is it to remove the bottom usb cover….since I’m having it replaced, I want to make sure it’s a simple snap off clips part and not a major adventure.

I have to say it’s worth the screen upgrade….huge difference

Stupid question but how hard is it to remove the bottom usb cover….since I’m having it replaced, I want to make sure it’s a simple snap off clips part and not a major adventure.

I have to say it’s worth the screen upgrade….huge difference
Pretty easy. Two parts, first is the bottom cover that pops right out and exposes six T20 torx mounting screws. The trick is to move both of the fronts seats all the way forward & UP! Remove the 3x T20 screws on each side and the cupholder/usb-c assembly should wiggle right out.

My layout is like yours with the big icons and not the ones like Maaz and I am on the FSD beta too.

Totally forgot to mention they would not let me keep my old screen
My layout is like yours with the big icons and not the ones like Maaz and I am on the FSD beta too.

Totally forgot to mention they would not let me keep my old screen.
What was Tesla’s reason they told you that they needed to keep the old screen? I think someone here said they kept it and sold it on eBay to help pay for the newer $650 display. Maybe I read that wrong.

What was Tesla’s reason they told you that they needed to keep the old screen? I think someone here said they kept it and sold it on eBay to help pay for the newer $650 display. Maybe I read that wrong.
This was someone's incorrect assumption about keeping the part and flipping it on the eBay afterwards. The price Tesla is charging for the new screen assumes that you surrender the existing (fat bezel) screen to them after the new screen is installed.

This was someone's incorrect assumption about keeping the part and flipping it on the eBay afterwards. The price Tesla is charging for the new screen assumes that you surrender the existing (fat bezel) screen to them after the new screen is installed.

Has anyone else validated this? I know they told you there was a $1500 "core charge" if you wanted to keep it, but that sounds like total BS to me. Would love to hear if anyone else has come across this?