Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.20.1: seatbelts alert sound almost inappreciable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just after installing 2024.20.1, the sound level of the seatbelts alert is very low, almost inappreciable. "Joe mode" is not enabled. Other alert sounds seem unaltered. Resetting the MCU hadn't any effect. My car (M3 2019) is not the only one affected; other M3s in my local Tesla Owners Club, even with MCU3/Ryzen, are also showing the same issue.

No one else has noticed this issue? I'm surprised that no one has already reported it in this forum.

Last edited:
Just after installing 2024.20.1, the sound level of the seatbelts alert is very low, almost inappreciable. "Joe mode" is not enabled. Other alert sounds seem unaltered. Resetting the MCU hadn't any effect. My car (M3 2019) is not the only one affected; other M3s in my local Tesla Owners Club, even with MCU3/Ryzen, are also showing the same issue.

No one else has noticed this issue? I'm surprised that no one has already reported it in this forum.

This issue continues after updating to 2024.20.3.

The alert volume is so low that it's almost imperceptible except in absolute silence. This is clearly a safety problem. Are they trying to provoke a recall? (And the consequent repercussion in the media.)
Have you tried a 2-button reset?
It's not a safety problem, it's just a reminder to do something you should automatically do every time you get in the car.

It's not a safety problem, it's just a reminder to do something you should automatically do every time you get in the car.

Sure it is. Apparently, the NHTSA thinks so too. They already require a warning for the driver, but are proposing expanding that to all seats.

I have young children who I sometimes need to remind to buckle up... and I rely on the car's warning system to alert me. This is why I no longer install software updates. Tesla keeps fidgeting with things that work perfectly fine and breaking them... instead of implementing good manual wiper controls.

Yep - Its just about inaudible.

Has to be an error - I am also surpised no one else mentioned it.
When I posted on the local forum (New Zealand), I just wanted to make sure it wasnt just me - It's not.
Complete car reboot and screen reboot didn't make any difference.

Has to be an error

I feel this way about a lot of software updates, but then they leave it that way.

What I've started to think instead is that the software devs are young, make whatever changes *they personally* want, and there's a lot of turnaround so things are perpetually in flux and flip-flopping.

With so many other things they *could* be working on, why anyone would be touching the volume of a safety-related alert is mind-boggling.

It's called 'agile' software development.
Knock something together and get it out the door quickly and debug later.

There is also a term Release early, release often (RERO).

In either case you get frequent releases and bugs that come and go - hopefully they eventually disappear.

It was probably an accidental change - If you think about each feature in the car as an island that has to get put together with everything else on the globe to make the software release - it's not too surprising that errors get made. More extensive testing = slower release cycles, less testing = faster...

Hope they fix it and make the park assist more reliable too - it seems very flaky when it will activate (and not activate).

I feel this way about a lot of software updates, but then they leave it that way.

What I've started to think instead is that the software devs are young, make whatever changes *they personally* want, and there's a lot of turnaround so things are perpetually in flux and flip-flopping.

With so many other things they *could* be working on, why anyone would be touching the volume of a safety-related alert is mind-boggling.
I still contend that a lot of the people writing the software for these cars don't own a car or drive one. They are therefore unfamiliar with the system.

Reactions: father_of_6