Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, same. I drove a few hundred miles yesterday chasing clear skies for the eclipse and noticed the update come through and thought 'maybe the miles triggered the fsd download?'. Checked the notes and 😔 I really was going to let it do the 50 minute update to try fsd on the way back home haha but saw it was just the typical 'minor fixes'...

Yup, same. I drove a few hundred miles yesterday chasing clear skies for the eclipse and noticed the update come through and thought 'maybe the miles triggered the fsd download?'. Checked the notes and 😔 I really was going to let it do the 50 minute update to try fsd on the way back home haha but saw it was just the typical 'minor fixes'...
Yeah that would have been a nice drive back in FSD to try out.

But I only do updates at my house and never when on the road somewhere else, unless I know there is a service center or I can manage being stuck somewhere a day or two. My nephew had a failed update once and had a tow back to service center. An FSD update would’ve been a calculated risk for sure if I was in your situation haha

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt and byeLT4
I thought FSD would be great on a long trip... Nope, that's not really what it's meant for, it's meant for secondary roads and cities. Regular AP is better on the highway.

FSD kept putting me in the second lane from the right which really annoyed other drivers because while the speed limit was 65 or 70 and I was doing 75-78 (range/ speed compromise), many others were going faster and it would try to move over to their lane all the time. It's like the default. I can see them gaining on me way back in the rear view mirror, but the cars like "I don't want to be in the right lane, people merge here", and it would just move over and people would eventually zoom up on me.

Didn't matter if I had "minimize lane change" on or off, it didn't drive with consideration for faster drivers on the road. I kept having to manually cancel lane changes that I ended up just using regular AP.

I thought FSD would be great on a long trip... Nope, that's not really what it's meant for, it's meant for secondary roads and cities. Regular AP is better on the highway.

FSD kept putting me in the second lane from the right which really annoyed other drivers because while the speed limit was 65 or 70 and I was doing 75-78 (range/ speed compromise), many others were going faster and it would try to move over to their lane all the time. It's like the default. I can see them gaining on me way back in the rear view mirror, but the cars like "I don't want to be in the right lane, people merge here", and it would just move over and people would eventually zoom up on me.

Didn't matter if I had "minimize lane change" on or off, it didn't drive with consideration for faster drivers on the road. I kept having to manually cancel lane changes that I ended up just using regular AP.
Great data point. I never thought of it like that but makes sense and can see that happening. I will have to try it and experience it. Thankfully there is a switch in the menus to be able to just go back to Autopilot and disable the FSD function.