Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.8 shafted with FSD trial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if there is any truth to this but some folks are saying only newer cars with the AMD chip are receiving the updates. I have a 2020 MY and it just checked for an update and nada. Now I gotta wait another 24 hours to see if tomorrow is any different.
I have a 2017 MS and have it. They are rolling it out in batches to Ensure there are no software, hardware, model issues. It wasn’t a “open the flood gates and pray” strategy. Give it time, All will get a taste.

Reactions: cptnslo
I have a 2017 MS and have it. They are rolling it out in batches to Ensure there are no software, hardware, model issues. It wasn’t a “open the flood gates and pray” strategy. Give it time, All will get a taste.
At least they’re making it so it’s basically 30 days from whenever you get it and it wasn’t like a if you got it at the beginning of April you had until the end of April and otherwise you were *sugar* out of luck

Reactions: Yelobird
At least they’re making it so it’s basically 30 days from whenever you get it and it wasn’t like a if you got it at the beginning of April you had until the end of April and otherwise you were *sugar* out of luck
Spot on! If anything, people should consider a delayed roll out a Plus as it keeps improving daily and they are getting a Better Free view.

Spot on! If anything, people should consider a delayed roll out a Plus as it keeps improving daily and they are getting a Better Free view.
Also a plus for the delayed people is that they are now on 14.X. All the rest of us that got the trial in April are stuck back on 3.25. Not a single 3.25 car on TeslaFi has moved on to anything else. We still don't have the 8.X features or the 14.X features.
In retrospect I'd much rather have been one of the cars stuck on 8.9 in April so at least I'd get 14.X and a newer version of FSD to test anyways. Good things come to those who wait!!

I’m not entitled. I didn’t ask for, nor did I want it. It’s simple, don’t say you’ll do something, then not deliver. That’s the issue most people have. It’s about character, let downs, and lack of follow through. If your significant other promised to do things but never did, at some point you’ll dismiss them as being reliable. They don’t owe you and their promises are as you put it, gifted. Still, at some point the lack of follow through would be a pain point for most. All take, no action.
you sound surprised.

I don’t really care about the silly FSD, I just want the cool updates with trunk, camera notifications on the app, trip progress bar, etc. Even if I thought FSD was nice, it’s not $99 a month nice for me. Stuck on 2024.8.9 waiting for the little stuff🤓 2023 MSP

Reactions: cptnslo
“I didn’t ask for, nor did I want it.” Yet now you’re complaining because you didn’t get it. That IS entitled! If my wife said she would donate her kidney to save my life and didn’t I would be upset. If she said she would clean the gutters I wouldn’t divorce her if it wasn’t done the next

“I didn’t ask for, nor did I want it.” Yet now you’re complaining because you didn’t get it. That IS entitled! If my wife said she would donate her kidney to save my life and didn’t I would be upset. If she said she would clean the gutters I wouldn’t divorce her if it wasn’t done the next day.
I respectfully disagree. I feel entitled is when you feel something is owed but wasn't offered. Key word offered. When offered something, it changes the situation. At this point you have made a verbal contract, which does hold up in court in some cases.
“I didn’t ask for, nor did I want it.” Yet now you’re complaining because you didn’t get it. That IS entitled! If my wife said she would donate her kidney to save my life and didn’t I would be upset. If she said she would clean the gutters I wouldn’t divorce her if it wasn’t done the next day.

Are you saying your 17 MS (which I assume has MCU2/FSD intel atom processor, upgraded cameras) is running FSD v12?

Our 2023 M3 is running FSD/v12.3.6, but my 17 MS with aforementioned specs and paid FSD is running v11.1 (2024.8.9) FSD beta, and my local SC just told me and I quote

“Good morning! Hope you are having a good day as well so for the 2017 Model S I do not believe it would have the hardware to upgrade to FSD v12.3. I asked around my store here and a lot of people where saying the hardware and chip wouldn't let it upgrade.”

… it’s got me concerned of course, but if you can clarify and show what yours is running, I’d appreciate it

Are you saying your 17 MS (which I assume has MCU2/FSD intel atom processor, upgraded cameras) is running FSD v12?

Our 2023 M3 is running FSD/v12.3.6, but my 17 MS with aforementioned specs and paid FSD is running v11.1 (2024.8.9) FSD beta, and my local SC just told me and I quote

“Good morning! Hope you are having a good day as well so for the 2017 Model S I do not believe it would have the hardware to upgrade to FSD v12.3. I asked around my store here and a lot of people where saying the hardware and chip wouldn't let it upgrade.”

… it’s got me concerned of course, but if you can clarify and show what yours is running, I’d appreciate it
Running 2024.3.25 with FSD 12.3.6. Has MCU upgrade to HW3 Intel including updated cameras.

Reactions: spata
Just want to clarify one aspect of updating to 2024.14.6 - does it start the FSD trial right after the software update? I’m interested in the some of the other features but don’t want to start the trial yet as I’ll be away for about 2 weeks.

Also since someone mentioned the merging of stacks from FSD v11 to v12 - did it make autopilot on highways worse? I really like the performance on highways right now with respect to safety and am worried about wrecking it with Tesla mentioning how they replaced 300k lines of code with neural nets

Just want to clarify one aspect of updating to 2024.14.6 - does it start the FSD trial right after the software update? I’m interested in the some of the other features but don’t want to start the trial yet as I’ll be away for about 2 weeks.

Also since someone mentioned the merging of stacks from FSD v11 to v12 - did it make autopilot on highways worse? I really like the performance on highways right now with respect to safety and am worried about wrecking it with Tesla mentioning how they replaced 300k lines of code with neural nets
Yes the second the software update completes you get an email from Tesla and the trial starts immediately. The only way to delay the trial start is to not install.
Be warned, my friend got the 14.6 update pending and was waiting to install for this Friday...well after a couple days of not installing Tesla removed the pending update from his car so he is now stuck again on 8.9. Maybe that will correct itself when he gets home and starts to use the car again but it is a risk. Another forum member reported this happened to him yesterday also.

As for V11 vs V12. FSD is still running V11 on highways. But this isn't the same as AP in a non-FSD car. If you have FSD before and are used to how V11 works then this latest FSD 12.3 won't make any difference. If you are used to how AP works (without FSD) then running FSD on the highway is running different code (V11) and may act differently. But you can turn off FSD in the menu and use AP or TACC instead and that should go back to base code.

Reactions: Asymmetrical
Yes the second the software update completes you get an email from Tesla and the trial starts immediately. The only way to delay the trial start is to not install.
Be warned, my friend got the 14.6 update pending and was waiting to install for this Friday...well after a couple days of not installing Tesla removed the pending update from his car so he is now stuck again on 8.9. Maybe that will correct itself when he gets home and starts to use the car again but it is a risk. Another forum member reported this happened to him yesterday also.

As for V11 vs V12. FSD is still running V11 on highways. But this isn't the same as AP in a non-FSD car. If you have FSD before and are used to how V11 works then this latest FSD 12.3 won't make any difference. If you are used to how AP works (without FSD) then running FSD on the highway is running different code (V11) and may act differently. But you can turn off FSD in the menu and use AP or TACC instead and that should go back to base code.
Thanks for that advice. In that case I’ll probably hold off on installing. Not the end of the world if I have to wait longer to get some of those minor features or don’t end up getting the free trial… from the comments of others so far, it sounds like FSD is not quite there yet. I may as well wait for FSD 12.4 for better comfort or later versions to iron out other minor problems.

And you’re right - I’m currently using AP in a non-FSD car and I’ve learned the limits of what I can and cannot trust it to do.

Do you know if those of us who are paying for FSD will still get the month free as a credit?

Just got my update alert! 22 MS LR
IMG_1695.png

Reactions: byeLT4