Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 M3P EPA est milage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there listed driving parameters around what led to the 304 EPA estimate milage (i.e. was it perfect driving conditions and not using any excess energy such as ACs or is that you avg typical condition?). The reason I ask is because I just saw the new report that dropped yesterday stating hot weather can reduce range by up to 31%. I live in Louisiana so the estimate is about 25% for me. My daily commute is 140 miles round trip and if I'm not charging past 80%, that puts me in a very tight spot. Starting to regret my pre-order of the M3P if that 304 listed milage is absolutely perfect conditions.

Reactions: Msicario
Are there listed driving parameters around what led to the 304 EPA estimate milage (i.e. was it perfect driving conditions and not using any excess energy such as ACs or is that you avg typical condition?). The reason I ask is because I just saw the new report that dropped yesterday stating hot weather can reduce range by up to 31%. I live in Louisiana so the estimate is about 25% for me. My daily commute is 140 miles round trip and if I'm not charging past 80%, that puts me in a very tight spot. Starting to regret my pre-order of the M3P if that 304 listed milage is absolutely perfect conditions.

Its "EPA test conditions:

Based on the other "study" from Recurrent, I would not recommend anyone pay too much attention to data coming out from them as I find their information deceptive.

Be that as it may, I wouldnt expect to lose "up to 31%" from hot weather, but would expect to lose that amount from COLD weather. I also would not expect to get anywhere near 304 miles range unless your commutes are at roughly 50ish miles an hour.

With both of those being said I cant see you having much problem with a 140 mile commute. No idea where " if I dont charge past 80%" is coming from, as that is not some magic percentage (below 60% is kind of a magic percentage, and you are not going to be charging under that for your commute).

Just charge to what you need for your commute. If thats 80% or 90% to feel comfortable with range left when you get home, then do that.

Install a reflective roof cover such as:

This considerably reduces the need for AC in the summer and I can attest to that.

I get the EPA combined range when cruising at about 60-65mph with moderate AC use and this will drop to about .7x the EPA rating at ~80mph.

You can increase range considerably by installing (after market?) 18in wheels and tires.

Last edited:
I'm new to EVs - everything I've read on this forum was that the performance models should not be charged past 80% (to limit degredation) unless it is one off events of known road trips.

You have gone too far down the battery rabbit hole. Charging to 80% vs 90% does virtually nothing to limit battery degradation. The 80% thing is a forum thing that has been circling around here for years, and proven wrong but people still repeat it.

If you really want to limit degradation you need to charge under 60%., but if that is not viable for you the car isnt going to fall apart if you charge to what you need to do to make your commutes.

Search for posts by user @AAKEE if you want the data behind that high level explanation. In any case, you are not going to get the EPA range of 304 unless you drive like the EPA cycle, which almost no one does (so it should be ignored by most people). Your 140 mile round trip commute should be able to be made by a model 3 P in virtually any circumstance, provided you charge to a sufficient level before you leave.

Cold weather has more of an impact on your driving range than hot weather, unless you're in 110+ constantly? And that is mainly because the car has to run the AC to cool the batteries down constantly. Batteries actually like hotter temps so I really don't think your range will drop that much.

The EPA test cycle got a little more harder this year. It's usually a mix of highways and city driving but at slower speeds than what normal people do.

I too fell for the great EPA deception 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well that isn't an option lol. Of the 140 round trip miles, ~100 of them are interstate driving and 30 of them are country backroads with no one else on the road. I'd say the speed limit is under 50mph for ~1% of my drive

From past tests, you can get over 90% of EPA range in perfect conditions at 70mph. So 304 x 90% x 80% = 218mph. If you go 80mph, probably wack another 10-20% off and you are around 170 miles (charging to 80%). There is no harm to battery to go low charge (like 5% or even less) so you have plenty of room.

Keep in mind, the new EPA range is even more accurate than prior estimates so it may be much better than what i'm stating. I've done 200+ miles doing 80+ mph on highway doing trips so I wouldn't worry at all.

Reactions: Msicario
From past tests, you can get over 90% of EPA range in perfect conditions at 70mph. So 304 x 90% x 80% = 218mph. If you go 80mph, probably wack another 10-20% off and you are around 170 miles (charging to 80%). There is no harm to battery to go low charge (like 5% or even less) so you have plenty of room.

Keep in mind, the new EPA range is even more accurate than prior estimates so it may be much better than what i'm stating. I've done 200+ miles doing 80+ mph on highway doing trips so I wouldn't worry at all.
Correct in your assessment 👍🏻 You said 80mph+ the plus meaning under 85 🤣😂

• Funny
Reactions: Apprunner
Well that isn't an option lol. Of the 140 round trip miles, ~100 of them are interstate driving and 30 of them are country backroads with no one else on the road. I'd say the speed limit is under 50mph for ~1% of my drive
The speed limit is a maximum, not a minimum. You're allowed to go slower if you want. I understand not wanting to, but it is an option. I always find these comments funny. You choose to go faster but it's a choice, and you can slow down if you need the range.

Reactions: Rocky_H