Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024; Tesla's Tipping Point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, this year is a disaster. Bad decisions made in previous years ( not preparing alternative battery production to the 4680s and not working on a conventional truck and a smaller/cheaper vehicle) plus the leader’s antics have all combined to get us where we are.

Now it looks like it’s robotaxi or bust.

It’s such a shame as without Elon the EV revolution will not be where it is.

Now it looks like the adoption of EVs will be slower overall, the Chinese will dominate outside the western world and the uptake in America and Europe will be slower due to tesla not having a greater range of vehicles which will have pushed the established players.

Last edited:
Yep, this year is a disaster. Bad decisions made in previous years ( not preparing alternative battery production to the 4680s and not working on a conventional truck and a smaller/cheaper vehicle) plus the leader’s antics have all combined to get us where we are.
Not looks like it’s robotaxi or bust.

It’s such a shame as without Elon the EV revolution will not be where it is.

Now it looks like the adoption of EVs will be slower overall, the Chinese will dominate outside the western world and the uptake in America and Europe will be slower due to tesla not having a greater range of vehicles which will have pushed the established players.
When you make up information like that it certainly does seem bad.

You seem to be misunderstanding my post, or I’m misunderstanding yours.

You said "Then why are other EV manufacturers sales better or as good as previous."

I said "It’s easy to have “increased sales” when your market position is a rounding error compared to the established players." clearly talking about "other EV manufacturers" like you were.

You responded by saying the Model Y is the best selling car in the world (this is where you lost the thread).

Last edited:
Reactions: drb3333
You seem to be misunderstanding my post, or I’m misunderstanding yours.

You said "Then why are other EV manufacturers sales better or as good as previous."

I said "It’s easy to have “increased sales” when your market position is a rounding error compared to the established players." clearly talking about "other EV manufacturers" like you were.

You responded by saying the Model Y is the best selling car in the world (this is where you lost the thread).
I did misunderstand yours, sorry.

But wasn't the Model Y a decimal point the year before? And not on the list the year before that?

The Mach E is a great car but has similar software niggles, charging limitations, and other blaring signs of a gen 1 release. I really wanted to like them both but after a more than fair shot and extended analysis we bought a Y. It’s really the superior car in just about every way right now, for better or worse.
I spent some time in the Mach E as it was my primary choice as first EV. Dealership even let me have one of 'em for an entire day. I feel the build quality is better than a MY. The seat material feels like you paid for it as opposed to these vegan seats in Teslas. Aren't all cows vegan anyway? The design is more visually interesting. Drives well enough (no worse than an MY). It's an EV (amongst a few I've tried) that is least appliance feeling. All of 'em seem to devoid of any good steering feel. Might as well be a super quick minivan for all I care.
That said, it is a 1st gen attempt based off on a Ford Escape platform. The space utilization is behind the MY and Ioniq5 by quite the long shot. The rear door button access feels unsafe for kids. Its interface while large is quite laggy. Android Auto kept crashing. For tech, Tesla is a few miles ahead of the legacy EV makers. There are lot of smoke and mirrors being played by the dealerships. This annoys me quite a bit. Hate the tactics played. Tesla is a fresh take streamlining the buying process I think.

I came away feeling the legacy makers are a bit half-hearted with BEV. Ford is pivoting to PHEV. They stopped MachE production in March/April. I have not decided yet. Thought I share my take on this car.

What’s made up? Cybertruck is the ultimate Elon ego disaster. The rest of the lineup is getting stale rapidly and there’s no real updates in sight.

“Robotaxi” is going to be a close second on the Elon ego disaster rankings.
Where's the disaster? Aside from so many people begging for one?

If you are talking about the max range drop ONLY on the Beast, then what manufacturer has ever shown a prototype and delivered on it 100%. Actually it seems to be rare that they ever show a prototype that makes it to the market.

There is a relatively big issue for Cybertruck owners. They have to put up with crowds of people and being run off the roads with people looking at the truck.

Where's the disaster? Aside from so many people begging for one?
Word is they're cutting shifts and reducing line output so there are not so many people "begging" for one. It's going to be a sales disaster once they sell through the handful of grown-ass men that want to cosplay Blade Runner. It just isn't a long-term viable product in the market. It's a gimmicky joke.

There is a relatively big issue for Cybertruck owners.
I heard... apparently there's a stop sale because the accelerator pedals fall off and wedges to the floor at WOT? ;)

I spent some time in the Mach E as it was my primary choice as first EV. Dealership even let me have one of 'em for an entire day. I feel the build quality is better than a MY. The seat material feels like you paid for it as opposed to these vegan seats in Teslas. Aren't all cows vegan anyway? The design is more visually interesting. Drives well enough (no worse than an MY). It's an EV (amongst a few I've tried) that is least appliance feeling. All of 'em seem to devoid of any good steering feel. Might as well be a super quick minivan for all I care.
That said, it is a 1st gen attempt based off on a Ford Escape platform. The space utilization is behind the MY and Ioniq5 by quite the long shot. The rear door button access feels unsafe for kids. Its interface while large is quite laggy. Android Auto kept crashing. For tech, Tesla is a few miles ahead of the legacy EV makers. There are lot of smoke and mirrors being played by the dealerships. This annoys me quite a bit. Hate the tactics played. Tesla is a fresh take streamlining the buying process I think.

I came away feeling the legacy makers are a bit half-hearted with BEV. Ford is pivoting to PHEV. They stopped MachE production in March/April. I have not decided yet. Thought I share my take on this car.
Very similar opinion to yours here. 👍

I REALLY wanted to like it. Some of it I thought was amazing. But when we added everything up it just didn't work for us.

Reactions: gt2690b
Word is they're cutting shifts and reducing line output so there are not so many people "begging" for one. It's going to be a sales disaster once they sell through the handful of grown-ass men that want to cosplay Blade Runner. It just isn't a long-term viable product in the market. It's a gimmicky joke.

I heard... apparently there's a stop sale because the accelerator pedals fall off and wedges to the floor at WOT? ;)
You are jumping at a lot of conclusions here.

I'm pretty sure that no one said that they are cutting volume, just the production line time, by a few hours. At this point in ramp-up, it is quite possible that that they put out even more next week than they did last week.
So maybe it will be a sales disaster when they sell though the reservations. But since that's a few years away...
And it's already anticipated that it will outsell the Model X or Model S this year.

Let me pass this grown-ass men over to the Cybertruck forum, can you give me your address so that the women over there will let you know the reality? You may not be aware, but women make up a big chunk of pickup sales.

Yes, there is a production issue right now, it's brand new and resulting in a halt of deliveries. But take a look on the Internet for gas pedal issues and you'll see some major recalls from Toyota, Mercedes, Volvo over accelerator issues.

I'm sorry that you are so upset that you can't afford one. Jealousy is a painful experience.

And it's already anticipated that it will outsell the Model X or Model S this year.
What you see as a positive sign for CT I can only read as a very ominous one for the S/X. The market is done with them and there is no replacement on the horizon. The US is obsessed with midsize 3 row crossovers and Tesla doesn’t have one people want - the Y is WAY too small and the X is somehow complicated, gawdy, expensive, AND terribly dated at the same time.
You may not be aware, but women make up a big chunk of pickup sales.
If CT driver demographic is not well north of 80% male I’ll eat my hat.

I'm sorry that you are so upset that you can't afford one. Jealousy is a painful experience.
… and here’s the tell of a true Tesla apologist. If you have a different opinion and don’t blindly toe the Elon/company line you’re clearly a poor, a short, or just envious and angry at the well-to-do ElonHuffers.

I’ve paid Tesla a few multiples of a CT at this point on a new Model S, Model 3, Model Y, Powerwalls, and solar. To say I’m invested in the ecosystem would be an understatement. The fact that people like me are concerned should be a concern.

What you see as a positive sign for CT I can only read as a very ominous one for the S/X. The market is done with them and there is no replacement on the horizon. The US is obsessed with midsize 3 row crossovers and Tesla doesn’t have one people want - the Y is WAY too small and the X is somehow complicated, gawdy, expensive, AND terribly dated at the same time.

If CT driver demographic is not well north of 80% male I’ll eat my hat.

… and here’s the tell of a true Tesla apologist. If you have a different opinion and don’t blindly toe the Elon/company line you’re clearly a poor, a short, or just envious and angry at the well-to-do ElonHuffers.

I’ve paid Tesla a few multiples of a CT at this point on a new Model S, Model 3, Model Y, Powerwalls, and solar. To say I’m invested in the ecosystem would be an understatement. The fact that people like me are concerned should be a concern.
The S/X are in a different market. They are in the luxury market where car sales are much lower. Look at Mercedes, they slid down in the market just to increase sales.

Take a trip to Texas and see who drives the pickups.