Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21” Aracnids vs 19” Slipstreams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swapped to Aracnids about 6 months ago. The ride is harsher and there is a dip in efficiency of about 5%, but to me, the added performance (grip) and looks are amazing and I would not go back. I also live in GA (Brookhaven) so it is my wheel for the year. I see you are in Newnan. I am happy to meet up with you so you can drive/experience the difference.

Reactions: DIL
Hmm. I was thinking by being lighter slightly that it would have a negligible affect on range. I have a set being installed Thursday.

I believe it has more to do with the rolling diameter than the weight. More power to push the wheels to rotate, which is what causes the reduction in efficiency. There is certainly a decline in efficiency. Having it uncorked also made it worse since I now push my car more with the extra power and the grip of the Arachnids.

I believe it has more to do with the rolling diameter than the weight. More power to push the wheels to rotate, which is what causes the reduction in efficiency. There is certainly a decline in efficiency. Having it uncorked also made it worse since I now push my car more with the extra power and the grip of the Arachnids.

There is no increase in diameter. When going from the 19” to 21” you also go down in tire height so that you end up with same diameter tire. If you stayed with the same height tire as your 19” then you would see an increase in diameter but that is not the case.

Has anyone weighed the 21” tires. I know that on my MX when I went from 20” stock to 22” aftermarket wheels that are lighter than the stock 20” wheels. However, once I added the 22” tire I ended up weighing slightly more than the stock 20” set up bc the 22” tires weighed several pounds heavier than the 20” tires so the savings in weight from the aftermarket wheel was lost once tires were added.

I'm thinking it a greater rolling resistance, but I could be totally wrong.

Arachnid - sorry for the misspelling!

Thanks MBenz! I found a set for an amazing price. So, I think I’m going to try it.

Would any of you who have them wish you had stuck with the 19”?

I got my third referral in and recently chose to get the arachnids delivered to my nearest service center. I’ll give it a shot too and compare with my original non-Slipstream 19”.

hah! Timely thread. My 3rd referral just got their car delivered, so I should be getting my email from referral team for the 21-in arachnids. I just recently powder-coated my 19-in slipstreams to satin black, so don't want to get rid of them so quickly ($800 cost). I will most likely sell my arachnids when they arrive (believe they come with 21in high performance tires + TPMS sensors & include free installation at tesla service center). Such a good referral offer.

I have a poor man's Tesla (75D) and to me, the 21in may be an overkill. They would so much fit the performance Tesla (the P cars that push the tire's limits every day). Just my view! I know many push the limits of the 60/75s every day and deck it up really well!

If you are in bay area, and want to give me an offer to buy my arachnids (I don't know when they arrive though, yet, but likely in Jan/Feb?), may be we can get your car pulled into the tesla shop for installation into your car (rather than mine). I am in the bay area. This is an early offer though, and what if I change my mind after seeing the wheels? :eek:

Since am currently owning 2 Tesla Model S, one with each wheel you mention, I can with certainty state that the 21" arachnids are much louder than the 19" slipstreams.

They do look alot better so that is the tradeoff. The spokes of the Arachnids are not recessed from the lip which makes them exposed to damage.

Hopefully they will last a long time. I inflated to 45psi to provide some protection from potholes. My plan is the keep the car with the arachnids.

"I have a poor man's Tesla (75D) and to me, the 21in may be an overkill. They would so much fit the performance Tesla (the P cars that push the tire's limits every day). Just my view! I know many push the limits of the 60/75s every day and deck it up really well! "

Ha! I'm not sure any Tesla can be qualified in the" poor man' s" category. ;)

75D uncorked to a 4.2 60 is likely Supercar-enough for a set of 21s!

IMG_4568.JPG

I have the arachnids on my S 75 RWD and love them for the looks. Don't notice the ride difference much myself. Here is the effect on my Wh/mi. The "Wheels" trip are all the miles on the arachnids, the "Lifetime" trip was around 290 Wh/mi before getting them put on.

Got them installed and love them. They are slightly noisier, but the handling difference is noticeable and the look is awesome. Not a big difference in ride quality. It's been a bit too cold to gauge change in efficiency, but seems minimal.

Attachments

• Tesla - 1 (1).jpg
    Tesla - 1 (1).jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 118
Can you clarify this?

I'm surprised arachnids are 5% worse than the 19s when they're lighter. I can see turbines being 5% worse (and have on my own car) but arachnids too?

The rotating mass being 5-7 lbs lighter per wheel should help the situation I'd think.

Reactions: Joesage