Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 inch tires and replacement after 12-15,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadster rear tires- I just put on my third set of rears after 12k so lasting about 6k miles. Still on the first set of fronts. (AD07s)

Model S- rears will need to be replaced at 12k, i.e. this month. Right at the bars now, fronts look great. (Continentals)

My experience with replacing (expensive) Roadster rear tires every 5-6K miles is precisely why I opted for the 'no-cost downgrade' to 19" wheels on my Sig S. It's not just the expense, but the hassle.

Besides, I happen to like the looks of the 19's. No accounting for taste, right? :biggrin:

I'm right there with you stevezzzz, I got the 19s for the same reason, although we have been getting about 12,000 miles on our standard Roadster tires for our version 1.5. This last time we were at 13,000 miles on the Roadster rears and not at the wear bars yet.

Unreal... I get at least 40K miles out of my tires on my Camry (plenty more if I rotate regularly). I hope to God the Gen III doesn't work like that - because I'd hate to have to spend $800-$1000 up to twice a year after figuring all the expenses I *wouldn't* have converting from an ICE to an EV.

Unreal... I get at least 40K miles out of my tires on my Camry (plenty more if I rotate regularly). I hope to God the Gen III doesn't work like that - because I'd hate to have to spend $800-$1000 up to twice a year after figuring all the expenses I *wouldn't* have converting from an ICE to an EV.

I also had a similar reaction when I first started driving cars with performance tires with big rims. I have driven less than 5000 miles on the car (which has the Michelins) so far but I've already priced out the replacements. It would be great to get 20000 but not counting on it. Has anyone installed or used the Pirelli P Zero Nero? Or perhaps any opinions on the alternatives as listed on the screen capture from tirerack.com

Attachments

• TireRack 245 35 21.png
    TireRack 245 35 21.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 970
IMO, any YR or ZR rated tire will give you comparable performance and wear. Maybe you could save a few $ with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires, but they're only VR rated, so I would be concerned about stopping distance and wouldn't want to use them for aggressive driving. If you're okay with that, and if you're one that never accelerates faster than you would have in a Camry, maybe it would work.

Otherwise, the Tesla's high acceleration, braking and weight are all reasons it has the YR/ZR rated tires.

IMO, any YR or ZR rated tire will give you comparable performance and wear. Maybe you could save a few $ with the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires, but they're only VR rated, so I would be concerned about stopping distance and wouldn't want to use them for aggressive driving. If you're okay with that, and if you're one that never accelerates faster than you would have in a Camry, maybe it would work.

Otherwise, the Tesla's high acceleration, braking and weight are all reasons it has the YR/ZR rated tires.

I agree that it makes sense to stick to the YR or ZR rated tires.

- - - Updated - - -

I just broke 5k and I'm on wear bars in the rear - rotated them to the front so they should last a little longer. I have the P85 and I drive it everyday like I stole it.

I'm a little more like 4sevens above, I think I drive the second getaway car right behind 4sevens.

I'll have to check the tires closely (since I'm also near 5K), because I may be in the same situation.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had the hankook ventus on our 911 and cayenne the past few tire changes and will not use another tire again. Fantastic tire. Cheap, but great performance. And at least double the miles on a 911 than the Porsche "n"rated tires.

capt601, thanks for the feedback on Hankook Ventus. I don't think I would have gone with those but based on your feedback. I may give those a try at some point. I'm sure Michelin's are great tires but there's such a price range from the Michelin PS2 ($535) to the Pirelli's ($339) to the Continentals ($288) and Hankooks ($186). In other words, I think capt601 is confirming that I could go through a couple of sets of Continentals or Hankooks and get more mileage out of those two sets than out of one Michelin set (and still catch up with 4sevens in his stolen P85). But if my line of reasoning is completely flawed, please help me....

Negative Camber in the Rear and Expensive Tires

My wear is now under control.

With respect to tire choice, I really do not like the idea of forking over $500 or more per tire. That being said, my test drive was with Conti's and my car was delivered with Pilots. The car feels much better with the Pilots which gives me pause trying another tire.

Someone at Tesla Decided to Put Michelin Pilots on My New Model S P85 and.....

wow... thanks lolachampcar. I went through those previous threads that I had managed to elude, where you all went into some real depth about tire choice and the effects on tire life from the Tesla negative camber in the rear.

I think I will try some different tires and see if I fall into the sophisticated driver or not. My guess is I won't be able to tell the difference between the different ZR or YR rated tires.

wow... thanks lolachampcar. I went through those previous threads that I had managed to elude, where you all went into some real depth about tire choice and the effects on tire life from the Tesla negative camber in the rear.

I think I will try some different tires and see if I fall into the sophisticated driver or not. My guess is I won't be able to tell the difference between the different ZR or YR rated tires.

Oh, I think if you had the opportunity to try identical cars with different tires one after another, you'd be able to tell the difference -- at least on some level (road noise, maybe ride smoothness). But yeah, new tires almost always ride and sound better than the worn tires they're replacing.

FWIW (basically nothing), I use Michelin Pilot Sports on my non-Tesla cars and prefer them over other brands. Next, I like Goodyear and I don't have a preference beyond that. I really don't like Bridgestone, but again, it's just my experience on a small sample of cars.

Oh, I think if you had the opportunity to try identical cars with different tires one after another, you'd be able to tell the difference -- at least on some level (road noise, maybe ride smoothness). But yeah, new tires almost always ride and sound better than the worn tires they're replacing.

FWIW (basically nothing), I use Michelin Pilot Sports on my non-Tesla cars and prefer them over other brands. Next, I like Goodyear and I don't have a preference beyond that. I really don't like Bridgestone, but again, it's just my experience on a small sample of cars.

I liken this to coffee (at least for me). I know when I have a really bad cup of coffee but can't really tell the difference between good and great. Same thing with tires. I put a cheap pair on my Saab once and could tell the difference immediately. Slightly inferior pair, not so much.