Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 MSLR with "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED". Not Sure What to Do.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I bought a 21 Model S LR Refresh from a dealer out of state. Im having it shipped to me as I type. I Carfax'd it the day I bought it and it was clean. Today I noticed that on 7/7, it was given a title that stated it was NAM. I inquired with the dealer and they stated that the prior owner screwed up putting the wrong mileage on the title.

The vehicle has 12,020 miles on it (I saw in a pic and via Facetime) but the state that issued this title shows 12,600. So, thats where the NAM comes in. So stupid... LOL.

My question is, 1, is this fixable, and 2, can I do it from my home state? The dealer stated they would do what they can on their end, but in case they are full of it, Im looking for experienced answers/comments. I told them if they couldnt rectify it, Id be looking to revisit some sort of reimbursement.

Sadly, Its my car now so hope this plays out ok.... ugh....

Last edited:
In a year or two, will 600 miles +/- matter?
No, but that branded title will adversely affect the value for years to come, the same way a salvage title would. Every time a history report is pulled, the first thing the buyer would see is a large warning saying the vehicle has an odometer discrepancy/true mileage unknown.

This has to be corrected first with the DMV in the state that issued the NAM title, who may reissue the title with the branding removed. At that point you will have to reach out to Carfax/Autocheck to have this corrected in their database. This should/must? be done before the title touches another state as I can only imagine it would become more difficult at that point.

It doesnt matter now. But that tag on the title sure does! Thats the issue.

No, but that branded title will adversely affect the value for years to come, the same way a salvage title would. Every time a history report is pulled, the first thing the buyer would see is a large warning saying the vehicle has an odometer discrepancy/true mileage unknown.

This has to be corrected first with the DMV in the state that issued the NAM title, who may reissue the title with the branding removed. At that point you will have to reach out to Carfax/Autocheck to have this corrected in their database. This should/must? be done before the title touches another state as I can only imagine it would become more difficult at that point.

Well stated. This is the masterplan, and exactly what a friend told me just now that owns a dealership. He stated this should be an easy fix seeing the year, make, and low mileage. Hope this plays out quickly though!

The DMV checked the wrong box "Not Actual Mileage" in 2014 and after 5 years, in 2019, the Marin County, CA owner couldn't sell it because no one wants to touch a fraudulent odometer car. He went to the DMV and they did correct it including at CarFax but they said they could not correct it at National Motor Vehicle Title Information System, (NMVTIS) claiming it's a private company. So he had to go to the news to get DMV to correct it at NMVTIS too. After that he could sell his car fine:

The DMV checked the wrong box "Not Actual Mileage" in 2014 and after 5 years, in 2019, the Marin County, CA owner couldn't sell it because no one wants to touch a fraudulent odometer car. He went to the DMV and they did correct it including at CarFax but they said they could not correct it at National Motor Vehicle Title Information System, (NMVTIS) claiming it's a private company. So he had to go to the news to get DMV to correct it at NMVTIS too. After that he could sell his car fine:

Perfect example as well. My question… why did he wait 5 years to fix it?

Reactions: pilotSteve
Tesla will probably say the warranty is invalid too because the mileage is not correct. Require the seller to fix the issue before you accept the car.

I think this is a major issue. Tesla does not really support vehicles with titles that aren't clean. Would suck to have your supercharger access disabled over something this stupid.

Tesla will probably say the warranty is invalid too because the mileage is not correct. Require the seller to fix the issue before you accept the car.
I think this is a major issue. Tesla does not really support vehicles with titles that aren't clean. Would suck to have your supercharger access disabled over something this stupid.

100% it would. Only makes sense. At a minimum, it would make the process hell to prove or whatever.

So, better news, it seems like a simple fix and could have been a clerical error by the county DMV that issued the title. I spoke to someone at the issuing states DMV and they stated the dealer just needs to file a "letter of correction" with some images, etc., and seeing its a newer car, etc., should be fixed on the spot at the DMV. Fingers crossed.

Entire issue... original seller put "12,600" instead of "12,006". SHEESH! HA

UPDATE: Tesla is writing something up to submit to the DMV stating that the odometer was not tampered with. Also, they are stating that seeing they can confirm this, the warranty stays intact.

Next, the original seller wrote a correction affidavit and got it motorized stating that they messed up on the odometer reading on the title.

Seeing its a 2021 vehicle and very low miles, and the odometer shows that issue is being "rolled up", I dont think they will have an issue voiding the title and issuing a new one. Time is the issue it appears.

Fingers crossed and send your good vibes! Next week Im hoping for clarity on this.

FINAL UPDATE!

It took some time, a lot of effort, and the ability of an amazing sales person who I am truly grateful for but success!

Im happy to state that my 2021 Tesla Model S was issued a clean, non-branded title today, and the old branded one was deleted.

So, yes, a NAM title can be fixed... Im proof of it. Sweet!

Screen_Shot_2022-08-12_at_3_05_29_PM.png