Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 MYP “Whine” at around 50 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title states, I have this high pitch “whine” of sorts at around 40-50mph, and when hard acceleration, it’s very noticeable. Note, it’s not the normal EV / Tesla acceleration noise. It’s line a faint high pitched hum almost, like a dog whistle sound. Damn near sounds like a “bad ground” feedback through the speakers in the rear.

Anyone else experience this? Would love some feedback.

Again, it’s not the normal sound, and it’s hard to catch on a recording as I tried.

Reactions: MikeR99
As the title states, I have this high pitch “whine” of sorts at around 40-50mph, and when hard acceleration, it’s very noticeable. Note, it’s not the normal EV / Tesla acceleration noise. It’s line a faint high pitched hum almost, like a dog whistle sound. Damn near sounds like a “bad ground” feedback through the speakers in the rear.

Anyone else experience this? Would love some feedback.

Again, it’s not the normal sound, and it’s hard to catch on a recording as I tried.

I tried to record the sound as well, but couldn't. I think it's just too high frequency for the mic. I also think this is coming from beneath the rear seats in the "doghouse" or whatever they call it. I don't get it until about 70mph, but it is annoying. There is a YT producer that took his back seat out and put in some additional noise canceling material that he said killed the sound. I've been trying to find that video for a week or so. Haven't found it yet, but if I do I'll post it here.

Might or might not be related to this...

Reactions: Madsen203
I'm not sure if that's what you hear, but I can hear my front engine much louder than the rear engine on my dual motor. The front motor typically only gets used under hard acceleration. However, recently I've seen it used more (using ScanMyTesla) when the roads are slippery. Once the car has detected some slippage at the back, say under regen, it starts using the front motor even in low accelerations and regen.

Hi all,

I chased something similar for a while. Wasn’t penthouse seal, insulating that area didn’t help much.

The short and simple solution was to tighten up the ground strap doe the rear drive unit. This is behind the driver rear wheel in the arch of the wheel well. It’s a 10mm bolt. It comes “tight” from factor but you can get another full turn out of it or so and it will eliminate 80% of what you’re hearing. All I have now is a notable wine at 37 and 74 mph which I think is natural harmonics from the motor.

I’ll try to find my thread about this and the linked solution I had.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Hi all,

I chased something similar for a while. Wasn’t penthouse seal, insulating that area didn’t help much.

The short and simple solution was to tighten up the ground strap doe the rear drive unit. This is behind the driver rear wheel in the arch of the wheel well. It’s a 10mm bolt. It comes “tight” from factor but you can get another full turn out of it or so and it will eliminate 80% of what you’re hearing. All I have now is a notable wine at 37 and 74 mph which I think is natural harmonics from the motor.

I’ll try to find my thread about this and the linked solution I had.
Look at post #10

This took care of the annoying sound. It took all of 1 minute to find, tighten, and open a cold beer. With 19” Gemini wheels, you can access through spoke of wheel with cap removed. The other wheels will require you to sneak in under the car behind the wheel or better yet remove the wheel.

Might or might not be related to this...

I didn’t see you post this. This is where I found the same solution. Anyone with a 10mm wrench can do this. Doesn’t take half a brain.

After reading all over the net, it appears the DU might be a little loud and sending feedback into the speakers. Having it checked out the 15th. Well see and Ill inform when I know more.
any update? i believe i am having a similar issue. at around 50mph+ it starts when maintaining speed or accelerating. Its not very loud but the high pitch frequency of the whine over time is irritating. Sounds like its coming from the front passenger side.

I think I'm having the same issues. I brought it up to Tesla Service (along with a few other issues) and they said it's a rear drive unit issue. They offered to replace it for free. However, it took 3 weeks for me to get my car back because it's been waiting on the part to arrive.

Picking it up today, hopefully it fixes the issue!

Reactions: MikeR99