Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Wheels now on Performance Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read from another post that 21" is 245:

The 19's are 255/50 or 245/45 with Goodyear's Eagle Touring
The 20's are 255/40 or 245/45 with Goodyear's Eagle F1
The 21's are 245/45 with Pirelli P Zero's (ttothejizay has their own post on this)

Ayy, thanks for quoting me.

Alright, this should be the last info update I make regarding the Model Y tires.

Tire Rack now has the Model Y in its database and that gives me the final measurements.

The 19's are 255/45.
The 20's are 255/40.
The 21's are 255/35 in the front and 275/35 in the rear.

However, I'm still unsure as to what tires will come from the factory, but judging with Tesla's configurator, it's probably the ones I listed.

EDIT:
u/gundarx beat me to it.
Model Y tire specs published : teslamotors

Reactions: IdaBish
Archon :p

Judging from tirerack’s tire options for the 21” setup, only one tire is offered and that’s the Michelin PS4 summer tires. I have a feeling this would be the OEM tire and would make sense as Tesla already procures a similar tire for the P3D and they can work with them to have Tesla acoustic foam in there as well.

Hello
A newbie here. I have a MY Performance on order but like many of you here don't like the 21 inch wheels and the loss of range. Tesla would not comment on if the 20 inch induction wheels would be an option, so I downgraded to the LR + Induction wheels. Do they not want my money? feels like im giving up a more expensive wheel

Do you think people would do a direct swap 21's for 20's? Also will the 20 inch induction fit the performance with the larger brakes?

Reactions: rklip
Hello
A newbie here. I have a MY Performance on order but like many of you here don't like the 21 inch wheels and the loss of range. Tesla would not comment on if the 20 inch induction wheels would be an option, so I downgraded to the LR + Induction wheels. Do they not want my money? feels like im giving up a more expensive wheel

Do you think people would do a direct swap 21's for 20's? Also will the 20 inch induction fit the performance with the larger brakes?
I would highly recommend you put the performance option back on there. It would be stupid not to. You’re not just losing the 21in wheels but you are also losing the bigger performance brakes, Chrome paddles, up graded suspension, spoiler and top end speed. You are paying the same price for less goodies. Makes no sense. Get the performance option and pop on some model 3 20in performance wheel on. That’s what I’m gonna do ;) and sell the 21in for cash back

Last edited:
[…] You’re not just losing the 21in wheels but you are also losing the bigger performance brakes, Chrome paddles, up graded suspension, spoiler and top end speed.

Actually, depending on what you want, the suspension might be downgraded - as in less ground clearance. Some people might not want that.

I'm really curious what the final specs will be, and the actual differences between the two versions.

I would highly recommend you put the performance option back on there. It would be stupid not to. You’re not just losing the 21in wheels but you are also losing the bigger performance brakes, Chrome paddles, up graded suspension, spoiler and top end speed. You are paying the same price for less goodies. Makes no sense. Get the performance option and pop on some model 3 20in performance wheel on. That’s what I’m gonna do ;) and sell the 21in for cash back
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but wouldn't having the answer to these two questions solve for why a lot of folks are actively downgrading, myself included as well....1) Whether the 20" Inductions fit over the Performance brakes, and 2) Will Telsa allow MYP+ orders with the 20" instead of the 21's? Now that I'm seeing the 21's are not only summer rubber, but also possibly staggered, how ridiculous. They didnt even do this on the M3P+ which is the actual sportscar, not a CUV. Solid that absolutely no one at Tesla appears to know anyone in the northeast or midwest.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but wouldn't having the answer to these two questions solve for why a lot of folks are actively downgrading, myself included as well....1) Whether the 20" Inductions fit over the Performance brakes, and 2) Will Telsa allow MYP+ orders with the 20" instead of the 21's? Now that I'm seeing the 21's are not only summer rubber, but also possibly staggered, how ridiculous. They didnt even do this on the M3P+ which is the actual sportscar, not a CUV. Solid that absolutely no one at Tesla appears to know anyone in the northeast or midwest.
I was referring to the model 3 performance 20’ wheels, not the 20’ model Y induction wheels.

Looks like performance brakes fit with the induction wheels.

FD74FC6C-79C4-4504-BB7C-0D40F7E17EF6.jpeg

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Are the Model Y wheels 8.5", 9.0", or 10.0" wide rims?

Saw Model 3 Performance Grey 20" set for $1500..I was wondering if these 20×8.5 wheels are same spec that can be used for Model Y.

Yup, I have seen posts/pictures of what looked like 20"x8.5" Sport wheels on Model Y.

Can anybody confirm these specs (20x8.5) are rated for Model Y?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Are the Model Y wheels 8.5", 9.0", or 10.0" wide rims?

Saw Model 3 Performance Grey 20" set for $1500..I was wondering if these 20×8.5 wheels are same spec that can be used for Model Y.

Yup, I have seen posts/pictures of what looked like 20"x8.5" Sport wheels on Model Y.

Can anybody confirm these specs (20x8.5) are rated for Model Y?

Thanks.

The stock Model Y wheels run on 255 series tires, so ~10 inches wide.
The sports wheel you've seen on the Y's were probably from the prototypes; black sports on a Red and Blue yeah? They were also upsized to 255.

To me the 21’’ Überturbine and 20" Induction wheels both look pretty similar except a center cap (color). The 21" look good to me on midnight silver. Is it safe to say if you now want the performance you now need to purchase the performance-upgrade? Originally the upgrades came with the performance, that was what it meant, now we have a performance ultra at the same cost? I think I will take the free upgrade and do not need the range in summer. Was thinking I will purchase 19" winters which should up the range, when I need it, if it is just the wheels that lower it? Would they be dropping batteries on the upgraded version to drop weight and increase speed or will 19 Gemini's bring you back to the 315 mi range?

Was thinking I will purchase 19" winters which should up the range, when I need it, if it is just the wheels that lower it? Would they be dropping batteries on the upgraded version to drop weight and increase speed or will 19 Gemini's bring you back to the 315 mi range?

If the 2020 Performance Model 3 is anything to go by, it is just the wheels. Most likely you will be able to select 19” wheels for your wheel configuration on the screen in the car, and your max range as displayed in the car will go to 315 rated miles (with a change in the constant of course, so as to keep available energy exactly the same).

Note that currently the 280 miles is just estimated, not EPA estimated so the number may change. But the energy in the battery is almost certainly exactly the same in both trims.

Thanks again for your help Al. 21" summer slicks it would be then with estimated 280 mi range. With 19" winters for 315. As soon as we get the official word and that understanding. We assume eventually someone will contact us, answer all our questions and want us to send them a bit of cash to do so. As soon as we get a few more SC's up here I think that my math anxiety will fad. Looking forward to it; so Tesla if you are listening call already :cool:.

There is the remaining question about whether Tesla made swapping between these two options painless (unlike Model 3)... same offset, clears calipers, etc.
Right now the wanta be performance (LR AWD +) without the performance upgrades but at the same price comes with 19" Gemini so I though they would fit but you are right. Originally the performance came with 20" so we would assume the 255/40R20 will fit for winters? Time will tell but I purchased the performance and am happy staying with it for obvious reasons.

Last edited: