Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 MX Plaid Interior Noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
MX Plaid, FYI, reminds me of the Grinch movie, Noise Noise Noise Noise. Just finished removing every plastic fantastic panel in the rear cargo area and felt taping it all. Trim on the gate around the window had some tacky foam inside that went against the metal paint, squeaking over every bump. Taped it all. So quiet now I get to hear the seat backs creaking on the second row seats now......when will it end. I am going to figure out how to remove the seat backs next and tape them where they are needed. Perhaps I should order another roll or two tape since I am on the 3rd roll now. Maybe Tesla could include 4 or 5 rolls of felt tape with each car they sell. I have worked on many cars and the assembly of the interior on these cars are really bad. I am going to rename the car "Plastic Fantastic" Thanks to the performance and other things we like and I can get some of the noises out we may actually keep it....

thats like me lol
ever creeking sound I must investigate. I know the falcon doors itself creak due to the design but I finally figured out the squeaking from the doors touching the trim near the side of the seats using felt tape. but now i hear knocking sounds near the dash hahaha

Reactions: kriskros91
thats like me lol
ever creeking sound I must investigate. I know the falcon doors itself creak due to the design but I finally figured out the squeaking from the doors touching the trim near the side of the seats using felt tape. but now i hear knocking sounds near the dash hahaha

For what it's worth, neither our current 2023 X, nor our 2016 X, had creaking from the falcon wing doors.

For my 22 Plaid, only 2 sound issues thankfully: First is the FWD release cable touching the speaker in the door, moved that and it was fine. 2) the door FWD when closed actually touches the trim panel in the back, which caused a squeaking sound over rough surface. I used some of these automative felt tape on the trim and it's been happy ever since.

I just received a 2023 X and facing similar FWD issues, wish me luck as I go hunting.

1. I will check the door trim (gummi or felt tape per above)
2. release cable touching the speaker

anything else I should be thinking about? I went to service center, they drove me in a center X and said see, hear the same noise? It's spec... haha

Fixed my falcon wing doors, but good grief...this car rattles from everywhere. Is there an end to this? It's driving me crazy.
Order a large roll of felt tape and get access to the service manual so you and remove all the trim pieces and tape them where they go together. It will help a lot. It is hard to believe these cars have been out for 7 years + and this is the crap Tesla expects us to put up with. Perhaps they are doing this to get people frustrated enough to stop buying these models, then they can blame lack of demand when they want to stop building them? Just say'n

Order a large roll of felt tape and get access to the service manual so you and remove all the trim pieces and tape them where they go together. It will help a lot. It is hard to believe these cars have been out for 7 years + and this is the crap Tesla expects us to put up with. Perhaps they are doing this to get people frustrated enough to stop buying these models, then they can blame lack of demand when they want to stop building them? Just say'n
Sigh. Looks like the next few weekends are going to be dedicated to this.

thats like me lol
Did you figure out where the dash noise is coming from? Mine creaks a lot. Especially if you run the A/C. My guess is it is from the ducting around and above the driver display. Not sure how to get to that.

Just picked up a 2018 MX 100D and have been living this rattle/knock/squeak nightmare. Disassembled the liftgate trim and of course broke a panel (PN 1037902-00-G), used a ton of this same felt tape, but still all sorts of noise.

One in particular drives me crazy, and is not a rattle or squeak, but rather a clunk or plastic knocking sound similar to what I would imagine being a cable harness connector tapping down on a trim piece, somewhere behind the passenger 2nd row captain chair or perhaps right near the 3rd row vent. My wife sat back there and of course I ran over a rough road but it never happened. She gets out, drives me around, nothing. Next day I'm driving alone to work and the thing comes back. It doesn't need a rough bump to make it click or knock, just gravity from dips and anything that puts downward g-forces on the car. This is why I think it's either a cable connector that's loose and dropping down to hit trim, or perhaps a piece of trim that has broken or missing ubell clips. However, I've been back there beating and hitting on every piece of trim and cannot replicate it without driving.

How does one get access to the service manual? I have the parts catalog online and will be replacing all of the rattling trim on the liftgate as besides the piece I broke, there are missing clips and several broken pins on each piece of trim, probably due to the service center digging around in there to replace the liftgate cinch actuator mechanism (you'd think they'd replace trim if they broke off pins or clips...).

Just picked up a 2018 MX 100D and have been living this rattle/knock/squeak nightmare. Disassembled the liftgate trim and of course broke a panel (PN 1037902-00-G), used a ton of this same felt tape, but still all sorts of noise.

One in particular drives me crazy, and is not a rattle or squeak, but rather a clunk or plastic knocking sound similar to what I would imagine being a cable harness connector tapping down on a trim piece, somewhere behind the passenger 2nd row captain chair or perhaps right near the 3rd row vent. My wife sat back there and of course I ran over a rough road but it never happened. She gets out, drives me around, nothing. Next day I'm driving alone to work and the thing comes back. It doesn't need a rough bump to make it click or knock, just gravity from dips and anything that puts downward g-forces on the car. This is why I think it's either a cable connector that's loose and dropping down to hit trim, or perhaps a piece of trim that has broken or missing ubell clips. However, I've been back there beating and hitting on every piece of trim and cannot replicate it without driving.

How does one get access to the service manual? I have the parts catalog online and will be replacing all of the rattling trim on the liftgate as besides the piece I broke, there are missing clips and several broken pins on each piece of trim, probably due to the service center digging around in there to replace the liftgate cinch actuator mechanism (you'd think they'd replace trim if they broke off pins or clips...).
The service manual: Tesla Model X 2015-2024 Service Manual

• Love
Reactions: acoburn73