Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22" Wheels effect programmed into the reported range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anymore confirm if the supposedly 15% range hit from the 22" wheels being reflected by the Tesla software? From what I have been reading so far, it seems like the car is agnostic to the effect of the wheels and it is up to the driver to do the mental math. It should have been such a straight forward scaling factor for Tesla to add-on.

Reactions: Softwizard
Except, I'm not sure that the vehicle can sense which rims are installed. Therefore, they would have to give you a way to configure the rims, at which point it's not effortless any longer.

My Cayenne actually have a menu screen for you to enter the tire size used and loading information so the TPMS can provide the correct tire pressure warning. A similar thing should work for the Tesla.

I don't think rim size is programmed into the Trip Planner, but energy screen will show the actual miles projected ... not rated range. That would account for the 22" rims. When charging my X on a recent trip the P90D would charge to the rated range, so no initial adjustment for the 22 inch rims. However, if driving conditions were fairly flat, and 65-70 mph, I could achieve 320w/mile where the rated range and projected range matched. In one case I made 220 miles with 14 to spare from Lexington, Va to Greensboro, NC -- I didn't discount the range due the 22 inch rims, bu was on US highways traveling at 55-65mph. Just keep an eye on projected range in the energy screen...

According to Tesla, the range is based on the EPA estimates with 19" wheels ... subtract 10-15% for 22" wheels. YMMV :cool:

Model X range.PNG

Can anymore confirm if the supposedly 15% range hit from the 22" wheels being reflected by the Tesla software? From what I have been reading so far, it seems like the car is agnostic to the effect of the wheels and it is up to the driver to do the mental math. It should have been such a straight forward scaling factor for Tesla to add-on.

It is NOT reflected in the software. I have a 90D with 22" and when fully-charged, it says 257 (or once 262). I've not gotten anywhere that much... even when I tried to drive slower (very hard to do in this car)

I can confirm that it's not reflected in software after a recent 5-hr trip. Also, normal driving condition (70 mph and above) seems to knock down another 10-15% of your range. I was shocked when my 100% charged battery (251 miles range) only got about 170 miles on my last trip!

I have 20" aftermarket rims, day one 90% was reading 228miles this morning after last software update 2.24.78, I'm seeing in 230 miles. WH/mile avg has also gone down a bit, I set autopilot on 75mph for a daily 90 mile round trip drive. Yesterday, my 15mile avg was close to 324wh/m both directions. Not sure if the rims or the update have anything to do with it, but the increase is welcome. On a side note, I use an app called Remote S, and it shows me the rated range as well as projected range based on my driving style, projected miles are always about 10% lower, if someone with 22" wheels cares to try it and report back, it will probably do the math for you.

Sorry but I'm not clear on what you're saying. Are you referring to the reported max range or actual Wh/mile with the 22" wheels?

Sorry, I'm more brief when typing from my tablet. Yes, we dropped to 20" wheels from 22" wheels hoping to improve range (and towing capacity). Can't speak to the towing capacity, but we have not seen a consistent increase in range (i.e. lower wh/m) that can't be explained by weather changes.

Brief update on this. The inconsistency we noticed MAY have been due to my wife tinkering with the AC. Since the rear AC doesn't come on when just the kids are in their car seats in the captain's chairs (says no rear passengers detected -- a problem in itself), she was manually turning the AC on... In her way. She was actually just turning the rear fan up to max and leaving it there. This COULD have accounted for higher energy usage and why it was less of a problem on milder days (65 range).

It's going in for clear bra, but I'll be curious to see how wh/m changes now that she knows to leave fan on auto and just manually turn air on in the back.

I can confirm that it's not reflected in software after a recent 5-hr trip. Also, normal driving condition (70 mph and above) seems to knock down another 10-15% of your range. I was shocked when my 100% charged battery (251 miles range) only got about 170 miles on my last trip!

My car is showing RM of 208 but the projected range is only 157. In my Model S before, I was able to stay within 10% of the RM so it is really a 15% hit. Now it starts to concern me that 257 RM in a full charge will become 192 and if the Trip Planner in Nav is not accounting for it, I may be in trouble.