Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220 volt outlet in the garage already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So an electrician just came by and saw that I already have a 220 volt outlet in the garage all ready to go. I also bought a Tesla wall connector for charging my model Y. So what are my options here:
1. Hard Mount the wall connector directly on top of the outlet, what Tesla recommends?
2. Use a plug to connect the wall connector from the outlet and then charge my car, this way I can use the outlet for other things as well?

Leaning towards option 2, is that safe?

So an electrician just came by and saw that I already have a 220 volt outlet in the garage all ready to go. I also bought a Tesla wall connector for charging my model Y. So what are my options here:
1. Hard Mount the wall connector directly on top of the outlet, what Tesla recommends?
2. Use a plug to connect the wall connector from the outlet and then charge my car, this way I can use the outlet for other things as well?

If you add a power plug to electrical equipment (in this case the Tesla Wall Connector) where the manufacturer specified that the equipment is to be hard wired then it is a violation of the electrical code. That said, many people have done this with the Tesla Wall Connector.

The Wall Connector requires (2) 120V leads and an earth ground. Not all 240V receptacles have a ground connection.

The Wall Connector needs to be set for the correct amperage for the 240V circuit. A mismatch between the maximum circuit rating and the Wall Connector settings will cause an electrical fire. I.e. if the 240V receptacle is for an electric clothes dryer (30A) then the Wall Connector must be set for less than or equal to a 30A circuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: thinktwice

If you already have a 220v outlet I will use that. Check out which NEMA type it is and compare it to the charging rate for your Car provided in the tesla website. that should give you enough information to decide whether to install the wall connector or stick with the existing outlet.

Yeah the amperage is really important. In addition to safety it makes all the difference in how quickly you can charge. I have a 60 amp circuit at home and can charge at 12KWh/hour, while my parents have a 30 amp plug I use when I visit them and it charges at 6Kwh/hour.

Don't forget the amperage is important as well. I have a 30 amp, 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage that I just keep the mobile connector plugged in to at all times. It charges my Model S at ~18 miles per hour, which is plenty for my needs.
If you go the NEMA 14-50 route with the mobile connector, it's best not to keep plugging/unplugging it from the outlet.

If you’re going to use that circuit for your wall charger then please, PLEASE, keep it as a dedicated circuit. I am an electrician and I can’t stress this enough. If you need a 240v for a second source then call back that guy to have him/her do it correctly. Do not split/share the receptacle with anything else.

Reactions: DanDi58

See which outlet it is, and get the adapter from Tesla. The max the car will get from the wall charger is 48 Amps, the included charger will go up to 32 Amps, which is fine. It will charge overnight, and you save lot's of $$
Plugging in the Wall Connector can be done, but you are likely to not gain any benefit.
Feel free to PM me, I would look at your photos. I am nearby in Lincoln, and happy to help.
Try to ping out what the size of the breaker is to your outlet.
Here is a chart of NEMA outlets-Which one is it, and how big is the breaker? NEMA Plug Charts | Americord | NEMA Configurations

All great info above, just to elaborate a little more, typically the NEMA receptacle spec defines the amps, i.e., an N6-50, the 50 indicates the max amps for the circuit, but like @Kairide said above, his N14-50 is a 30a.

We have a N6-50 receptacle, on its own circuit, with a 50a breaker, and our EVSE has a max charging amperage of 40. The ROT is to run at about 20% less than the rated circuit spec (so 40 on a 50, or 24 on a 30, etc.)

Did the electrician mark/label the box to show what breaker is on the 220?

For reference (just using the Tesla "plug guide") on the NEMA receptacle/plug specs:

1099345_0.jpg

Reactions: Kairide

Adding a pigtail to the Wall Connector is another potential fail point. Plus, there wouldn't be a temperature sensor in the plug like there is in a Mobile Connector. You also probably want to avoid constant unplugging/plugging with a 240v outlet as that'll likely loosen the connection over time and cause overheating, unless you have an industrial grade outlet.

I would think you’d want to know the wire gauge before you install the wall charger. I’ve got a 50 foot run of 6 awg wire. Wall charger works great.

I had a electrician install a 220 outlet for my model s tesla. The car will not charge. Is the issue single phase vs double phase or what is the mistake electricians make when installing a 220v for tesla charging. When connected, there is no confirmation that I am connected.

I had a electrician install a 220 outlet for my model s tesla. The car will not charge. Is the issue single phase vs double phase or what is the mistake electricians make when installing a 220v for tesla charging. When connected, there is no confirmation that I am connected.
Please provide more information if you want someone to help diagnose what may be wrong.

Are you using the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector with the optional NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter?

Is the circuit breaker for the charging circuit in the On position?

What lights appear on the Mobile Connector?

Did you try flipping the breaker off and back on. It is possible that it is partially tripped? If you have a multimeter you should read 240v in that outlet.
I don't have my Tesla yet but my garage and the Tesla charger is ready.

Attachments

• Tesla Wall Charger in Garage IMG_7810.JPG
    Tesla Wall Charger in Garage IMG_7810.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 819