Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220v splitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think of buying the 220v, 4 wire, 14-30 NEMA dryer splitter (y dadpter 14-30P Plug, Dual 4-Pin Receptcle Splitter)from EBAY for about 70.00. That way i don't have to un plug and plug the 220 NEMA extension cord in. Gotta make sure that no one will use the dryer the same time.

I picked up one of these to use behind the dryer...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K2FHT23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
giving me plug-in for the dryer to keep plugged in, and a 14-50 for the Tesla charger that I can plug in and out without worrying about causing the wall plug to get loose from too much use. I just set the car to use max 27amps to keep from blowing the 30amp breaker and haven't had an issue yet.

You should *never* be charging at over 24 amps on a 30a circuit per the 80% rule for continuous loads (well technically it is the 125% rule, but you get the idea).

• Love
Reactions: Runt8 and Rocky_H
Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO looks good.
The ordering configuration on their website looks kind of confusing, where you pick the version of Buddy you want, based on what outlets it has. And then you go select the upgrade to the Plus AUTO as a separate item that you add to your cart, and then check out with those two "items".

Oh, and I would never recommend getting one of them like they have that splits a 30A dryer outlet into a 30A and 50A outlet types. That is just inviting problems. Only get one that splits it into two 30A outlet types. It's fine if it's switching between 10-30 and 14-30. Those are effectively the same for car charging, so whatever you have a Tesla plug for is fine.

Think of buying the 220v, 4 wire, 14-30 NEMA dryer splitter (y dadpter 14-30P Plug, Dual 4-Pin Receptcle Splitter)from EBAY for about 70.00. That way i don't have to un plug and plug the 220 NEMA extension cord in. Gotta make sure that no one will use the dryer the same time.

Depends how often you use it, but at least you have the circuit breaker. For $70 you could have added a new breaker and outlet.

Reactions: RScottyL