Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 hours of Model S Just flawless performance and comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

outdoors

🌲🛶⛺️🏔♻︎🙂
Supporting Member
Did a road trip from Ann Arbor MI to West Palm in 24 hours. 1350 miles

Left at 3am. Arrived at 3:15am. Ok so 15 minutes more than 24 hours.

Hit the following Super Chargers:

Grove City
Charleston
Wytheville
Columbia
Savannah
Kings Island
Port Orange
Melbourne (10 Min) Still no meter. Just wanted to see it without one.

Used abetterrouteplanner. Was very comfortable with 15% as buffer. Longest stop was 43 minutes. Many were in the 18 to 25 min range. Only three unscheduled stops. Kids surprisingly have bigger bladders as they have grown.

Family of four. With Moderate luggage. Inverter plugged in entire time powering two Laptops and other traveling essentials.

Auto pilot was on 85% of time according to me. Wife said she was using it 95%. I was sleeping....so could not verify her account. :D

We had great weather until a bit of rain in SC, and no traffic delays to speak of.

So I guess I share this to say it can be done with ease for a family. Super charging in some of those locations provided the kids places to throw the football around in a hotel parking lot, or just get the silly beans out. You just can't do that at a gas station. I know many people would find a trip like this a horror. I totally understand. Road trips are pretty much my middle name. I did this trip the previous year in an ICE with nothing but cruise control. Just a night and day difference. Much more relaxing.

Had to move the car a couple times as stalls had reduced output. Can't really think of anything negative really. Car performed flawlessly.

So car just rolled over 20k. Its at Tesla Palm Beach getting serviced, and uncorked. Very professional service and sales team.

Best thing was about ten minutes before the end of the trip was a login to my Tesla and a VIN for my Model 3. I have been checking for a couple days straight after seeing the cars lined up in the various Youtube videos. I was so ready for bed. Then I saw that. Was like three espressos at once.

Grove City
Charleston
Wytheville
Columbia
Savannah
Kings Island
Port Orange

Used abetterrouteplanner. Was very comfortable with 15% as buffer. Longest stop was 43 minutes. Many were in the 18 to 25 min range. Only three unscheduled stops. Kids surprisingly have bigger bladders as they have grown.

Family of four. With Moderate luggage. Inverter plugged in entire time powering two Laptops and other traveling essentials.

Auto pilot was on 85% of time according to me. Wife said she was using it 95%. I was sleeping....so could not verify her account. :D

We had great weather until a bit of rain in SC, and no traffic delays to speak of.

So I guess I share this to say it can be done with ease for a family. Super charging in some of those locations provided the kids places to throw the football around in a hotel parking lot, or just get the silly beans out. You just can't do that at a gas station. I know many people would find a trip like this a horror. I totally understand. Road trips are pretty much my middle name. I did this trip the previous year in an ICE with nothing but cruise control. Just a night and day difference. Much more relaxing.

Had to move the car a couple times as stalls had reduced output. Can't really think of anything negative really. Car performed flawlessly.

So car just rolled over 20k. Its at Tesla Palm Beach getting serviced, and uncorked. Very professional service and sales team.

Best thing was about ten minutes before the end of the trip was a login to my Tesla and a VIN for my Model 3. I have been checking for a couple days straight after seeing the cars lined up in the various Youtube videos. I was so ready for bed. Then I saw that. Was like three espressos at once.

I'm glad you had a good trip. I've also found that the Supercharger stops and Autopilot both contribute to a much more relaxed trip.

On Sunday I will embark on a road trip from home to New Hampshire in a Model S 100D. This will be the first time I've taken the trip in a Tesla, so it'll be a good comparison to our Passat TDI, which is the usual road trip vehicle.

Grove City
Charleston
Wytheville
Columbia
Savannah
Kings Island
Port Orange

Congrats! You are in the honeymoon phase. Give it time.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Congrats! You are in the honeymoon phase. Give it time.

I must be. Or have always been a honeymooner. 15 years later my wife swears it's like we first met.

With cars however I have learned to have low expectations. They take a beating. With Tesla I have seen many differences.

If my threads are read you will see I rack up the miles over many years. Lots of towing. Many service appointments with
5 different brands. Dissatisfaction around.

I get it. Time will tell, but can't hide good stuff when I think it is just that.

Honeymoon continues 1/4 Marina Del Ray.

Reactions: DIL
What was the furthest traveled between charge stops and how much was remaining at the stop?

Hit 219 and 222 miles between charges. I kept 15% as buffer. Lowest was 13% on way down.

222 was between home and Grove City OH
219 was between Wytheville VA and Columbia SC
Avg for first trip was 313 Wh/mi. Had unseasonable warm on way down.

Just did the reverse coming home. Had to stop off in Beaufort SC to see a friend for the night. On the way we had a little caravan of new car owners, and expreciend distance travelers juggling the sometimes half working stalls between Kingsland and Santee. Had the pleasure of meeting @Bighorn. What a great forum member, and what a great adventure he is undertaking. Also had a group of local PD in Kingsland STS with all of us.

Side note. If 4 charges work and there are 6 to 7 cars, and more rolling in. If you know what your doing charging wise maybe help long distance road travelers or newbies by maybe doing the math to the next charger rather than build up a bigger cushion. I here ya Tesla should make sure they all work, but it is a new community with some nice people....who could need a hand now and then.

Then the real fun started. Left at 11:00am Sunday. Rolled in at 7:05 this am. Avg was 404 Wh/Mi. Used 12% as buffer. Hit 9% as we pulled in driveway. I thought that was pretty good since we started to get into single digits through VA, and then Grove City OH this morning was -10 and charged the 100D like a champ. Drunks were rolling out of the bar oblivious to our presence as they staggered to their cars toking cigarettes. Our windows were frosted over completely. We are a hard core outdoors family. Sleeping bags wrapped around kids feet. Temp at 60 degrees.

Again. Just great all the way around.

Reactions: Eclectic
Hit 219 and 222 miles between charges. I kept 15% as buffer. Lowest was 13% on way down.

222 was between home and Grove City OH
219 was between Wytheville VA and Columbia SC
Avg for first trip was 313 Wh/mi. Had unseasonable warm on way down.

Just did the reverse coming home. Had to stop off in Beaufort SC to see a friend for the night. On the way we had a little caravan of new car owners, and expreciend distance travelers juggling the sometimes half working stalls between Kingsland and Santee. Had the pleasure of meeting @Bighorn. What a great forum member, and what a great adventure he is undertaking. Also had a group of local PD in Kingsland STS with all of us.

Side note. If 4 charges work and there are 6 to 7 cars, and more rolling in. If you know what your doing charging wise maybe help long distance road travelers or newbies by maybe doing the math to the next charger rather than build up a bigger cushion. I here ya Tesla should make sure they all work, but it is a new community with some nice people....who could need a hand now and then.

Then the real fun started. Left at 11:00am Sunday. Rolled in at 7:05 this am. Avg was 404 Wh/Mi. Used 12% as buffer. Hit 9% as we pulled in driveway. I thought that was pretty good since we started to get into single digits through VA, and then Grove City OH this morning was -10 and charged the 100D like a champ. Drunks were rolling out of the bar oblivious to our presence as they staggered to their cars toking cigarettes. Our windows were frosted over completely. We are a hard core outdoors family. Sleeping bags wrapped around kids feet. Temp at 60 degrees.

Again. Just great all the way around.

Great to meet you and your family! Thanks for the kind words. I’m curious what the average hourly speed is in a 100. I’ve never managed 1200 miles in 24 hours in my 85 though I made 1072 the day I met you despite bad traffic and shared superchargers. The upshot is that an 85 has difficulty doing much better than 50 MPH. Accounting for the time change, you did 54 which is comparable to cross country speed records. Makes sense since your taper is much slower. What do you think the average speed is if you don’t get delayed along the way?

Pardon the addled calculation—you lost an hour going east. I’ve seen others with overly optimistic speeds based on traveling the other direction. I’ll let you answer:)
BTW/-I’m still in the honeymoon phase as well.

On the way down South I have always bypassed Atlanta with success, as in the time is less. Have never really thought about the average speed concept. It truly is a fire drill with the wife and me. Tesla or pre Tesla. Contemplated charging more before Atlanta, as I don't think I can time that city right coming from MI at any hour. Each time abetterrouteplanner told me to take the other route. So I always block Atlanta.

Sometimes I charged one percent more a couple times till I felt comfortable. I could see the graph pop back with efficiency towards end of run to supercharger. Tended to increase speed once I hit 75-80 miles to go, as in I knew I could make it.

I will PM my exact stuff for privacy so you can take a look. 1319 is trip via abetterroutplanner, but due to waze(co-pilot scouts 150 miles out before napping) rerouting on a couple accidents we were at 1352. 24:14 hours by planner. Actual was 24:15.

I would just sit down each time. Look at weather. Give or take a bit. As it warmed. I pushed it more I would say.

Happy to exchange ideas. Have had a lot of various algorithms over the years. The avg speed concept is vital for planning my longer trips. Only hit Atlanta once for the charger check off and was at a long standstill well after midnight. I’ve skipped it ever since. Then they’ve had that major bridge fire since. Sounds like you can do about 10% faster drives.