Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Folks, I'm about to replace my windshield for the 3rd time in 5 years! Rock chip turned into yet another crack. Is the Tesla glass really weak or is this bad luck (I've had Tesla replace the last 2)? I drove a Lexus IS300 for 15 years (250K miles) and only need to replace the glass once!

Should I stick with Tesla glass or try Safelite?

Thoughts?

As far as I am aware, Safelight is going to install the same OEM glass that Tesla installs, you will likely just end up being billed for bogus calibration fees or something that safelight seems to be tacking on to Teslas per some other reports here.

As for your other question, the windshield is large, and the car is pretty aerodynamic, but I dont think the glass is any weaker than any other. its just a big piece of glass and you have had bad luck.

Are you getting the chips repaired quickly after they occur? Any windshield can start to crack from a chip if the chip is deep enough and you get moisture in there that expands. I have never had a crack start from a repaired chip and I've had about 6 or 7 over three cars in the last few years. As soon as they happen I'm filing an insurance claim and setting up an appt to get it repaired, usually with Safelite.

Luckily California doesn't have much moisture to contend with so repairing chips IMMEDIATELY isn't super critical. But I had a windshield tech tell me that if you really wanna lower your chances of having a crack develop, when you notice the chip, put a small piece of clear packing tape over it to help keep moisture out until you can get it repaired.

".......but I dont think the glass is any weaker than any other."
Safelite tech told me that the theory is that Tesla OEM windshields are thinner than others to save weight. They know this cause they have to lug them around and Tesla's are much easier to carry. Also, they routinely break Tesla windshields when using the vacuum machine to repair chips. So much so that they will now warn you that they could break the windshield in the course of repairing the chip and they're not responsible for it. That last part is patently ridiculous, but that's what the guy told me when he recently repaired a chip on my M3 windshield.

Are you getting the chips repaired quickly after they occur? Any windshield can start to crack from a chip if the chip is deep enough and you get moisture in there that expands. I have never had a crack start from a repaired chip and I've had about 6 or 7 over three cars in the last few years. As soon as they happen I'm filing an insurance claim and setting up an appt to get it repaired, usually with Safelite.

Luckily California doesn't have much moisture to contend with so repairing chips IMMEDIATELY isn't super critical. But I had a windshield tech tell me that if you really wanna lower your chances of having a crack develop, when you notice the chip, put a small piece of clear packing tape over it to help keep moisture out until you can get it repaired.

Safelite tech told me that the theory is that Tesla OEM windshields are thinner than others to save weight. They know this cause they have to lug them around and Tesla's are much easier to carry. Also, they routinely break Tesla windshields when using the vacuum machine to repair chips. So much so that they will now warn you that they could break the windshield in the course of repairing the chip and they're not responsible for it. That last part is patently ridiculous, but that's what the guy told me when he recently repaired a chip on my M3 windshield.
I did buy a repair kit from amazon, but I waited too long. Lesson learned. I have Tesla mobile service coming out to replace it.

Reactions: XPsionic
I had Safelite fix a star-pattern chip in my windshield just last week. The only thing visible now is a pinhead-sized dot. It has a lifetime guarantee against spreading.

I’ve had three rock strikes in 50 years of driving. I had to replace two windshields on my (ex)Camry within two weeks of each other. It’s just the (bad) luck of the draw.

I got a chip on my glass the same day I got rear-ended (by another white Model 3 damnit). Instantly went to a (approximately) 14" crack. Need to make an appointment with Tesla: insurance will cover it, but I still have a $500 deductible.

IMG_3827.jpeg

I had windshield replaced on my 2018 Model3 a few weeks ago I. The Tesla shop in my area and I noticed the vin number doesn’t line up and I hear more wind noise when driving. Is this windshield installed incorrectly?

The day I drove the car home from the service center I had the front cap, hood, side mirrors and behind the wheel wells covered with PPF and the windshield was done at the same time. The whole job was $3600. And that was done in 2021. I don’t know what just the windshield would be.

Reactions: lostbrit

Safelite tech told me that the theory is that Tesla OEM windshields are thinner than others to save weight. They know this cause they have to lug them around and Tesla's are much easier to carry fat boy 114 2018-2024. Also, they routinely break Tesla windshields when using the vacuum machine to repair chips. So much so that they will now warn you that they could break the windshield in the course of repairing the chip and they're not responsible for it. That last part is patently ridiculous, but that's what the guy told me when he recently repaired a chip on my M3 windshield.
My insurance has the option of using Safelite. I’d prefer to use them as opposed to going to the Tesla SC as it’s a hassle. Has anyone ever used them to replace the front windshield? If so, how were the results?

My insurance has the option of using Safelite. I’d prefer to use them as opposed to going to the Tesla SC as it’s a hassle. Has anyone ever used them to replace the front windshield? If so, how were the results?
What I found is that Safelite was more expensive than Tesla. While taking the car to Tesla might be more of a hassle, I think it is better for long-term as they know how to recalibrate the cameras. I wouldn't trust Safelite to do it correctly: they might, but if they don't it will be a MCUH bigger hassle than if you had just taken it to Tesla in the first place.

What I found is that Safelite was more expensive than Tesla. While taking the car to Tesla might be more of a hassle, I think it is better for long-term as they know how to recalibrate the cameras. I wouldn't trust Safelite to do it correctly: they might, but if they don't it will be a MCUH bigger hassle than if you had just taken it to Tesla in the first place.
My understanding is that the whole recalibrating thing is a non-issue now. The car does it automatically. But Safelite is still charging big $$ for calibration that is sent to your insurance. That's why they're more expensive. Tesla does not charge for calibration any more, but will not file directly with the insurance company. You have to file your own claim.

Nor sure why the insurance companies are still letting Safelite charge for something that's completely unnecessary.

I cancelled an install with Safelite a few months back due to them insisting on charging a few hundred dollars for a "calibration." No matter how hard I pressed that the car calibrates itself (clearly, by now, they know this is a fact), they still wouldn't relent so I just went to Tesla to have it done. Mind you, the insurance was paying either way. But for me its the principal.

Reactions: GoergeJetson
I cancelled an install with Safelite a few months back due to them insisting on charging a few hundred dollars for a "calibration." No matter how hard I pressed that the car calibrates itself (clearly, by now, they know this is a fact), they still wouldn't relent so I just went to Tesla to have it done. Mind you, the insurance was paying either way. But for me its the principal.
Did you let your insurance company know? The best way to get it changed is for the companies to refuse to pay the charge.

I had the same experience with Safelite charging for "calibration" which I will give them some credit, they do hook up a laptop to the car but it's totally unnecessary but they refuse to let the car leave without calibration. They charge over $350 for the "calibration" and has been a point of contention with me and my insurance company, State Farm only wanting to pay for part of the replacement windshield, having Safelite charge even more for an already expensive replacement windshield just adds salt to the wound and increases everyone's insurance cost. I would suggest everyone stay away from Safelite if at all possible.

Reactions: ODWms