Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

240volts @ 10amps charge possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! That is amazing!

So how do you charge control the Lithium batteries? I would assume off the shelf stuff would not be setup for that? Most charge controllers are built for lead acid...

Also, what battery string voltage are you running?

I will post a different thread later on today with details. It will be titled: Boondock Power Storage for M3...something like that.

Charging efficiency decreases for lower charging power, so you may not want to lower the amperage too low if the total energy consumed matters to you. I've seen efficiency vs. amperage data on one of the Tesla forums, but I can't find it right now.
@moonfresh

240v is more efficient than 120v. Total power will determine efficiency it may be that 8A is more efficient than 10A, he'll have to test every 2A. Since he wants to stay at or under 10A he only has to test 3 options

* 6A
* 8A
* 10A

One of those will be most efficient. Likely 10 or 8 but you'd have to test to see. But really the difference in efficiency between the 3 is almost nothing. I wouldn't waste a ton of effort testing if 10A works. I also wouldn't hesitate to step down to 8A or 6A if you feel like it for any reason. Use whatever level you want.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Wow! Impressive!

So does that mean the grid is available, but you just don't normally use it? This is an interesting scenario. I would say this is an expensive way to charge the car! Panels + battery and inverter and all!

So in an optimal world you would take solar and just put it straight into the car (avoiding losses putting the power into what I presume are lead acid batteries and then pulling them back out). But the car is not really set up to handle this.

One interesting option would be if someone made a unit that could vary the pilot signal to the car to vary the amps of charge to only charge during solar production hours. (though you may not have the car at home at the right time of day for that)

But that is not the question you asked:

I wonder if getting a NEMA 6-15 adapter for the UMC Gen 2 would make sense so that even if you accidentally forgot to crank down the charge amps it would only pull 12 amps. That, or install a wall connector and crank it all the way down to the lowest setting of 12 amps.
If M3 charging setup is like MS, once one sets the charge rate it will remember that limit for that location, and always charge at the reduced rate there until charge rate is again manually set. Charge rate at other locations would go to default settings.