Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

255/45/20 vs 275/40/20 on induction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, im looking to buy new tires for my induction wheels. I've been looking into alternative sizes and based on my research, 255/45/20 and 275/40/20 are the most common that people tend to put on the wheels.

I know they both fit well without any rubbing and offer a better ride, but may affect the speedometer.

I have the MYLR and was wondering which tires people recommend, I'm having a hard to choosing between the two, mostly on looks. Which do you think looks better in person? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: bobbyjae
Hey everyone, im looking to buy new tires for my induction wheels. I've been looking into alternative sizes and based on my research, 255/45/20 and 275/40/20 are the most common that people tend to put on the wheels.

I know they both fit well without any rubbing and offer a better ride, but may affect the speedometer.

I have the MYLR and was wondering which tires people recommend, I'm having a hard to choosing between the two, mostly on looks. Which do you think looks better in person? Thanks in advance!
Took delivery of a new white on white MYLR a few weeks ago. Am very happy with the car, but always tweak my vehicles a bit to personal taste.
Have been doing a deep dive on this forum and elsewhere to get a quick education and insights.
Many thanks to the TMC community and its vendor supporters; it is a big help and invaluable resource to new users and tweakers like myself.

Currently I have stock Gemini wheels fitted on my MYLR, but am putting Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 275/40ZR20 tires on Inductions in the next few days.
I spoke to many people with experience in fitting the larger tires on the Induction wheels. All felt that they were a big improvement in looks, handling, ride comfort, and rim protection. I'm hoping I agree!

Included in my modest handling and visuals upgrade are:

1) Acceleration Boost upgrade - did this a few days ago, and I like having it on tap when the mood or situation arises.

2) Body color painted wheel arches (will assess looks, and may end up painting all lower black plastics in body color)

3) Custom painted Induction wheelset in Bronze

4) Eibach Pro Kit progressive springs - put Eibach's on my BMW X5M and was very happy

5) 15mm front / 18mm rear wheel spacers - best guess in advance as to sizes, will adjust to taste

I will try to post pics at various points of the installs to give a sense of how the car sits and transforms along the way.

More to come...

Those sounds awesome, please post pics along the way. Curious to see how the tires sit.

My dilemma is choosing between the two sizes.

The white is from user Xansky sitting at 255/45/20

The blue is from user capn00 sitting at 275/40/20.

This is the best side by side I could really find on MYLR.

The 275’s def stick out more and give it a sportier look.

Not sure if anyone had both installed and is able to provide a better comparison in terms of ride quality, and looks.
20211015_133430.jpg
B84E1F20-36E4-454C-8E90-62D890E53649.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Daekwan
I like the look of the 255/45/20 size tires. I have 26k on my Goodyear tires and will replace them in the next few months with Continental DSW06 Plus since I hear they are consistently quieter and more comfortable than Michelin PS A/S 4. I, located in the San Francisco area, so don’t need to worry much about snow.

I like the look of the 255/45/20 size tires. I have 26k on my Goodyear tires and will replace them in the next few months with Continental DSW06 Plus since I hear they are consistently quieter and more comfortable than Michelin PS A/S 4. I, located in the San Francisco area, so don’t need to worry much about snow.
Yeah im in between those and the cross climate 2's. I was leaning towards the cross climate 2's, but don't think they come in the 275/40/20's.

But send pics when you change over!

General rule of them is to keep the speedometer error within 3%. With 255/45 you'll have 3.6% error versus 2.5% with the 275/40. I'm going to go with the 275/40 for this reason, and also because I personally think the wider tires look much better than tires with a taller sidewall! Especially on a lowered car!

Anybody else have experience with both sizes? I am torn on this exact same question but for Continental DW06. Leaning slightly towards the 255/45/20 for lower price and little better ride quality from the larger sidewall. Is there really any discernable difference in this tire at those sizes in terms of ride quality?

I have a set of 20" Uberturbines that I'm debating on putting on our LRY. Even though there are a lot more options in the 255/45/20, I'm kinda debating on sticking with the 255/40/20 size mostly for the roadside assistance. I got a flat and Tesla brought out a spare wheel for me to use. If the wheels are different diameters, I dont think this is an option anymore (should we get a flat while out and about.)

Was hoping to hear more opinions on this. I'm at 33K on the factory Goodyears and Costco just put all its Michelin tires on sale again.. $150 off.

Granted not in a rush. Im currently at 5/32 all around. So can easily go another 5K miles.. probably make it to 40K on the factory tires before they are no good.

Is the jump from 255 to 275 or even 265 enough to prevent curb rash?
Technically nothing is going to prevent curb rash, that said yes the 265 or 275 tire sticks out further from the wheel than the 255. So it will offer *more* protection against curb rash.. than the slimmer OEM size. Tesla uses slimmer sizes because they are more efficient.

Technically nothing is going to prevent curb rash, that said yes the 265 or 275 tire sticks out further from the wheel than the 255. So it will offer *more* protection against curb rash.. than the slimmer OEM size. Tesla uses slimmer sizes because they are more efficient.
Slimmer... technically its called stretch but yea. Stretched setups like Tesla, reduces losses and maxes turn-in response. That's why Teslas feel so crisp on initial turn-in response. However the trade-offs are pretty large in compromised ride quality, reduced curb protection, and much increased chance for wheel damage in large potholes because the aspect ratio is actually even lower due to the high degree of tire stretching.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Daekwan
General rule of them is to keep the speedometer error within 3%. With 255/45 you'll have 3.6% error versus 2.5% with the 275/40. I'm going to go with the 275/40 for this reason, and also because I personally think the wider tires look much better than tires with a taller sidewall! Especially on a lowered car!
Can you post any pictures of the 275/40s on your factory Inductions?

Someone else wrote on their experience with 265/40/20. It is probably the size I'm going with once the stock Goodyear's are through.

bumping this thread for more 275/40/20 pics

Not my car, but these are pictures I took. The 275/40/20 looks AWESOME on the factory sized 20x9.5 wheel. I would agree the 265/40 is probably the most perfect fit.. as 265 is the perfect size for a 9.5" wide wheel. That said 275mm still fits within recommended width specifications for a 9.5" wheel, gives even more cushion & wheel protection.. and most importantly costs $115 cheaper.

If I had the choice between the two.. 275/40R20 Michelin Pilot AS4 would be my choice for a replacing the factory Goodyear F1's on the 20" Induction.

D5C2BA39-07A1-4A81-AC0E-826D5CDEA19D.jpeg

0002C1D7-2E32-4A83-8421-CF61F3D96AC0.jpeg

85E0372B-5829-4786-A5F3-11E1EC474B7D.jpeg

7F159412-FC39-4B6D-A90D-23CABC54F1F7.jpeg

5B329CC6-0AFA-4B2C-A82A-8AD3A13EB294.jpeg