Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

256 GB USB - Any Luck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to use a 256GB USB but it doesn't look like you can format a drive this large using the FAT method which is supposedly required in order to work. That said, I see a ton of recommended USB drives for the sentry/dashcam that are this size. Has anyone had any success using one this large and if so, how did you format it? The car won't recognize it and Windows won't allow a FAT format of a drive this big. I must be missing something here.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Isn't the car itself capable of formatting that device? Did you try that?
Late 2019 when I got my car I used something like 128 or 256Gb too, Windows didn't like it and the car didn't have a format option. I ended up using some other formatting application but I don't remember the name. I just don't think you need to do this anymore.

I am trying to use a 256GB USB but it doesn't look like you can format a drive this large using the FAT method which is supposedly required in order to work. That said, I see a ton of recommended USB drives for the sentry/dashcam that are this size. Has anyone had any success using one this large and if so, how did you format it? The car won't recognize it and Windows won't allow a FAT format of a drive this big. I must be missing something here.

Just format it in the car, or format it exFAT (not FAT32). What you "may be missing" is if you are reading things about separate partions and needing to format it FAT32, thats very old information which hasnt been relevant in at least a year, maybe a year and half or longer.

Just format it in the car, or format it exFAT (not FAT32). What you "may be missing" is if you are reading things about separate partions and needing to format it FAT32, thats very old information which hasnt been relevant in at least a year, maybe a year and half or longer.

Yeah problem is the car doesn't recognize it. Oh well not a huge deal as they included one that seems to be plenty large enough I guess. Thx.

• Funny
Yeah problem is the car doesn't recognize it. Oh well not a huge deal as they included one that seems to be plenty large enough I guess. Thx.
If you are using it for dashcam, you need to create a Teslacam folder on the drive for it to recognize it.
Otherwise you can try reformatting using the car (assuming you don't have anything important in it):
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

the tesla ones are rebadged samsung drives.

01_MUF-256BE4_Front_Titan-Gray041918042018.jpg

i picked up two 256gb ones direct from samsung for my new 2022 m3p and they both have been formatted in the car per usual and work properly. perhaps you have a faulty or knock off thumb stick. have you ran a test on the one you have to make sure its legit?

Reactions: jjrandorin