Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

264 miles not update from 256

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That a boy, please do;)

Hope the moderators don't allow trolls posting here and erase the false info, otherwise the whole forum will be a joke, just like the joke above which provided intentional false info on a software update from Tesla. If a topic is believed to not be appropriate or worthless just delete it and don't let trolls make a joke out of it, or the forums integrity will go down the drain. Just my 2cents worth. Thanks

May have been sarcasm... also the Tesla doesn’t necessarily always charge to exactly the same number of miles for a given charge level setpoint. So some variation would be expected (though 4 miles is on the high side, it still depends on several confounding factors like temperature, time since charge complete, etc.)

Reactions: baton and dhrivnak
May have been sarcasm... also the Tesla doesn’t necessarily always charge to exactly the same number of miles for a given charge level setpoint. So some variation would be expected (though 4 miles is on the high side, it still depends on several confounding factors like temperature, time since charge complete, etc.)

After reading the post few times wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or if pipestem was being serious so I just decided to delete the post. I have made $3,500 miles on my car and the battery has been charging pretty much at the same level give or take a mile above or below for the same %.

Last edited:
Take this for what it’s worth…
I heard this recently, but I can’t remember the source. The EPA is the one who rated it at 264, not Tesla. It is probably based on an EPA standardized track or route.
If so, this would not be the first time that Tesla has understated the range that EPA rated their vehicles.

Reactions: baton
Buddy we just want to get accurate readings on our battery charge. We depend on these readings and they should be accurate. Not much to ask is it? Or according to you as long as the gage is in the ball park area it’s okay? Or why have a gage at all, we already know the battery’s capacity - it changes nothing!

Elon himself announced the 4 mile increase to the whole world. Pretty important for the customer, don’t you think?

Please don’t try to give a lecture that the update changes nothing on the actual battery range. Yes we know nothing
It’s actually not all that important. Unless you drive it in a very precise way, you aren’t going to get 256 or 264. What you will get is to drive until the battery is drained. He did not increase the size of your battery. So the distance you can drive that car has not changed.

Sorry

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Buddy we just want to get accurate readings on our battery charge. We depend on these readings and they should be accurate. Not much to ask is it? Or according to you as long as the gage is in the ball park area it’s okay? Or why have a gage at all, we already know the battery’s capacity - it changes nothing!

Elon himself announced the 4 mile increase to the whole world. Pretty important for the customer, don’t you think?

Please don’t try to give a lecture that the update changes nothing on the actual battery range. Yes we know nothing

No one should be considering even 10 miles into their expected range calculations, much less 4. There are FAR too many variables at play to assume you can get that type of accuracy.

Personally, I use a margin of error of 10% when traveling...and even that is cutting it close when factoring in all the possible variables.

• Helpful
No one should be considering even 10 miles into their expected range calculations, much less 4. There are FAR too many variables at play to assume you can get that type of accuracy.

Personally, I use a margin of error of 10% when traveling...and even that is cutting it close when factoring in all the possible variables.

Nothing to disagree there or with posts above! The reply (where you quoted me) was after I was accused of trolling, We just wanted to know if the software update reflected the EPA rated change. That's what this topic is all about. Everything else here is irrelevant to me.Thanks.

Last edited:
C76E0238-B268-4B57-8128-4F14497B69B7.jpeg
Pretty interesting extensively detailed data here...
Especially between other Model 3 variants with different wheels ...
No Mid Range though...
Plug Your Ride Tesla Podcast

Podcast
Episode 103: 75s Go Away TOMORROW

Last edited:
2nd charge still enhanced. 236, was getting 232 or 233. (90%). Was very cold btw, 17F, when I disconnected.

I'd be careful about drawing too many conclusions from this. I'm not saying the software hasn't been updated (though if I had to bet, I would bet that it hasn't), but there are just too many factors that play into the number that it gives you. If it's exceedingly cold all the sensors that measure voltage/current/etc. into the battery may display some non-linearity with temperature (or even a linear dependence on temp) and the final answer, when they decide the battery is "done" at the desired charge level, might result in a different number of miles. State of Charge monitoring is pretty difficult, and getting it extremely consistent over a 100 degree temperature range does not make it an easier problem.

Keep in mind that % to miles is not always the same. For example, for a degraded pack, my understanding is that it will always show a 100% charge when it is 100% charged according to the charging system. But that same pack will NOT necessarily show the original "310 miles" that the pack originally had. (One of my arguments for using miles rather than %...) This is because the maximum usable capacity of the 100% charged pack has decreased with time. Temperature can have a similar effect, though exactly what will happen, I have no idea (certainly a cold pack has reduced energy available).

If everyone reports the same, well, then we know Tesla has updated the Wh/mi constant on the LEMR.

Keep in mind that % to miles is not always the same. For example, for a degraded pack, my understanding is that it will always show a 100% charge when it is 100% charged according to the charging system. But that same pack will NOT necessarily show the original "310 miles" that the pack originally had. (One of my arguments for using miles rather than %...) This is because the maximum usable capacity of the 100% charged pack has decreased with time.
Yes, this is true, and people sometimes tend to forget it. It's still going to say 100% full, even if the capacity is down 10 or 20 rated miles later in its life. It's easy to think that it's converting % to rated miles because that's what you can see when you toggle the settings, but it's really converting between a measure of kWh (that it isn't displaying) and rated miles.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Thanks for confirming.

So: Percentage only shows the portion of your "full" energy (whatever that may be) remaining, while miles tells you the actual energy remaining in the pack (after multiplying by the appropriate Wh/mi constant - but this is really just a unit conversion so you can just think of miles as energy).

This is relevant to this thread, because for a given charge setpoint %, different cars at different temperatures will give a different number of miles when charged to that %, since the amount of energy in the pack is different at a given % for every car (though the difference may be small - in some cases less than a mile).

Version 2018.50.5 c9323af, same as everyone else I believe. Nothing extra in the release notes. I'm not making any grand claims, just reporting interesting observations. As a software RnD director, I can tell you we don't put everything in the release notes.

Also, that whole conversation about degradation and car-to-car deviation is a bit oblique, the car only has 1052 miles right now. Most MR are probably similar. We're on the efficient frontier, man. Besides this is not a comparison of cars, but a comparison of before and after of one car.

Version 2018.50.5 c9323af, same as everyone else I believe. Nothing extra in the release notes. I'm not making any grand claims, just reporting interesting observations. As a software RnD director, I can tell you we don't put everything in the release notes.

Also, that whole conversation about degradation and car-to-car deviation is a bit oblique, the car only has 1052 miles right now. Most MR are probably similar. We're on the efficient frontier, man. Besides this is not a comparison of cars, but a comparison of before and after of one car.

I didn’t rule out a software update modifying the Wh/mi constant! I have no idea! But, were all charges done at exactly the same temperature?

Just drive it. I went through this whole thing when I first got my car too. Just drive it, plug it in and charge it to something 90% or under. Learn how weather, temps (heater/AC) and most importantly speed impact your range for road trip or very long commutes. Otherwise, just plug it in and drive it and you will be a much less concerned tesla owner. I know because I"ve already come out the other side. :p

Thanks for the info. I have version 2018.50 7e49f8a. It seems like I don't have the latest software release / update. I believe new software release should come up automatically. Perhaps it doesn't go to all the cars in US simultaneously. I have no idea why there is a discrepancy, but at least there is a clue.

I didn’t rule out a software update modifying the Wh/mi constant! I have no idea! But, were all charges done at exactly the same temperature?

of course not; you already know that; however, the fact that they all ended up at 233 or 232, despite a large temperature range that includes the post-upgrade charges probably eliminates external temp as a significant term; however, cannot go back in time for more trials.