Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd HV battery replacement!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, no messing back and forth, they did some remote checks and they have fitted a battery with the wrong capacity. Does that mean from a SR or just a really old poor quality one? Not sure but but they said sorry and will replace it to as it was. They have all the measurements from my last 3 packs and can see what I had and what I now get.

They have 4 weeks to get it fitted before I deploy for the rest of the yearā€¦.
It wont be an SR battery I don't think. the M3P has had at least 3 different sizes of battery since 2019
the original was about 75kwh Panasonic I think and then there has also been an LG of about 78KWh and an 82kwh Panasonic I think. something like that.
With your car being a 2021 it will have been the 78kwh or 82 kwh battery. maybe they fitted a re-con 75kwh. add some moderate degradation and 243 miles at 90% is not a crazy figure.
Its not acceptable though since the warranty terms are the replacement battery should have a capacity at least as good as your original. So that is not to say they could not fit a brand new 75kwh to replace a degraded 82 since they might be equivalent in remaining capacity but doing it the other way around is not really on.

I was on the 82kwh battery from new. To be fair the techs have been great and if itā€™s not for the commute I do, I probably wouldnā€™t have noticed, but I know In the winter getting home with 10% is about normal. Getting home with that in the summer isnā€™t and I wonā€™t make it when the temps drop - not that itā€™s been a particularly good summerā€¦ā€¦

Anyway, fingers crossed for the right pack, with the right range this time.

And his bless the Tessie app - not that Iā€™ve actually needed to show evidence as tesla have it all on file šŸ‘šŸ»

Iā€™ve got the Tessie app which is working well for the data. The current one is the best yet but way below fleet average and more importantly what I had.

Downside to all this, I get it back Tuesday and deploy overseas on weds until the end of the year so wonā€™t actually be able to see if itā€™s any good - but they assure me itā€™s going to be as I had or better this timeā€¦.

Third time lucky then - Hopefully.
Clearly they are now aware your not going to be side-lined or thwarted in your pursuit of getting what you should be entitled to, they have tried twice and it must be getting a bit tedious for them now keep pulling your battery out. You haven't gone away and haven't just accepted It is what it is - Surely Its in their interest to deliver you absolute perfection just to get rid of you.

I have to admire your fortitude and resilience, You are a businesses worst nightmare If they don't get it right, I can imagine the service centre managers fingers crossed your deployment gets extended. Well done you - your an inspiration. - I'm so looking forward to an update some time after your return.

Sooooooooo, battery number 3 is in! They charged it to 80% on sat and the range wasnā€™t great. Today they put it on a fast charger to 100% andā€¦ā€¦..itā€™s no better!

273 miles at 100%. A loss of 43 miles (or 13.3%) if my maths is correct - after 20 months of ownership) I had 280-289 miles at 90% before battery number 1 failed.

Again, my maths, but I am 27k miles into a 120k mile warranty (20 months into an 8 year warranty) and already at half of the requisite loss to qualify for a new battery.

Iā€™ve submitted an FOI request for all of my battery readings and will see what happens but I intend rejecting the latest second-hand, substandard palm off. My mileage and age of the car is almost irrelevant as itā€™s been in for 3 replacements and spent nearly 2 months in the garage so far. I donā€™t want a new car, I donā€™t want an ICE car, I want and love this car. This does (DID) what I wanted and needed.

Unfortunately I deploy overseas tomorrow so canā€™t check this battery until the winter, but I know they donā€™t get better as it gets colder.

Given Tesla donā€™t contend a lawsuit if they are in the wrong, anyone got any thoughts? Iā€™m no lawyer, but I know whatā€™s right and Iā€™ll happily fight for it. šŸ‘šŸ»

Third time lucky then - Hopefully.
Clearly they are now aware your not going to be side-lined or thwarted in your pursuit of getting what you should be entitled to, they have tried twice and it must be getting a bit tedious for them now keep pulling your battery out. You haven't gone away and haven't just accepted It is what it is - Surely Its in their interest to deliver you absolute perfection just to get rid of you.

I have to admire your fortitude and resilience, You are a businesses worst nightmare If they don't get it right, I can imagine the service centre managers fingers crossed your deployment gets extended. Well done you - your an inspiration. - I'm so looking forward to an update some time after your return.
Slightly early update above šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»

Sooooooooo, battery number 3 is in! They charged it to 80% on sat and the range wasnā€™t great. Today they put it on a fast charger to 100% andā€¦ā€¦..itā€™s no better!

273 miles at 100%. A loss of 43 miles (or 13.3%) if my maths is correct - after 20 months of ownership) I had 280-289 miles at 90% before battery number 1 failed.

Again, my maths, but I am 27k miles into a 120k mile warranty (20 months into an 8 year warranty) and already at half of the requisite loss to qualify for a new battery.

Iā€™ve submitted an FOI request for all of my battery readings and will see what happens but I intend rejecting the latest second-hand, substandard palm off. My mileage and age of the car is almost irrelevant as itā€™s been in for 3 replacements and spent nearly 2 months in the garage so far. I donā€™t want a new car, I donā€™t want an ICE car, I want and love this car. This does (DID) what I wanted and needed.

Unfortunately I deploy overseas tomorrow so canā€™t check this battery until the winter, but I know they donā€™t get better as it gets colder.

Given Tesla donā€™t contend a lawsuit if they are in the wrong, anyone got any thoughts? Iā€™m no lawyer, but I know whatā€™s right and Iā€™ll happily fight for it. šŸ‘šŸ»
are you sure about your original range figures. I was under the impression that the M3P had 315 miles of EPA range when new and that is the figure they display in the car which means if your car had 280-289 miles of range at 90% then it had 311-321 miles of range at 100% which is as much or more than it had when new which seems unbelieveable. I would expect at least a 5% drop since that usually happens fairly quickly which would have given you a max range of 267miles at 90%. For reference my well treated M3 LR lost 9-10% in 25Kmiles going from 310 to 280-285 miles at 100% so 255-257 at 90%.
If your battery was faulty maybe the range readings you got before it failed were also misleading?

I am not saying you are wrong about the "new" battery being poor just that the baseline you are measuring it against does not seem quite right so the gap may not be as much as you think.

are you sure about your original range figures. I was under the impression that the M3P had 315 miles of EPA range when new and that is the figure they display in the car which means if your car had 280-289 miles of range at 90% then it had 311-321 miles of range at 100% which is as much or more than it had when new which seems unbelieveable. I would expect at least a 5% drop since that usually happens fairly quickly which would have given you a max range of 267miles at 90%. For reference my well treated M3 LR lost 9-10% in 25Kmiles going from 310 to 280-285 miles at 100% so 255-257 at 90%.
If your battery was faulty maybe the range readings you got before it failed were also misleading?

I am not saying you are wrong about the "new" battery being poor just that the baseline you are measuring it against does not seem quite right so the gap may not be as much as you think.
This is where having TeslaFi (or similar) is useful, as it keeps a record of ever charge received by the car. This information (along with other recorded data) would be good in proving if the replacement battery was not up to scratch!

Slightly early update above šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ»
Well, It all sounds like a bit of a farce, You wouldn't think they would call you to tell you its not good news, the only possibility apart from another duff battery could be -
New batteries need a few charge cycles before they develop their full capacity.
The BMS would be a tad confused as it knew the KWs in and out of the battery they took out but wouldn't know anything about the replacement - so wouldn't be able to reliably predict range, the car may need to be run down to as low a % as you dare and then fully charge it - this way the BMS has a baseline to work from and will monitor just how many KWhrs goes into the battery and therefore able via its algorithms to work out a much better guess of range.
Whilst your away deployed is it possible for someone to run the battery down very low and then put the car on charge with the granny, a nice long very slow charge - so the BMS can have a leisurely time feeding each cell and all done without any excess heat.

My 2020 M3P, admittedly has only covered just a tad over 9000 miles but I did a 100% charge the other day - 295 miles, The car used to read 100% as 296 when i first had it. I've had the display on % since I had the car so looking at miles is something I rarely do.

The BMS would be a tad confused as it knew the KWs in and out of the battery they took out but wouldn't know anything about the replacement - so wouldn't be able to reliably predict range, the car may need to be run down to as low a % as you dare and then fully charge it - this way the BMS has a baseline to work from and will monitor just how many KWhrs goes into the battery and therefore able via its algorithms to work out a much better guess of range.

If that was the case the CAC (calculated amphour capacity) should have been reset in which case the range would have reset to the EPA range when the car was new then BMS would find itā€™s own level again over time.

This can be done to an existing battery too. Could be done to replacement but then it would take a few months or more to find a more representative range for that battery and initially one might think you have a battery with as new range which might be the preferred route for some but then potential for problems 6 months down the line when battery is indeed found to be sub par rather than just reporting a reduced range. Important to remember that displayed range can go significantly up or down over long period of time. Ours once reported sub 280 miles but itā€™s now back around 290 miles give or take a few miles. Itā€™s certainly not a good indicator of battery degradation.

For Tesla to replace the replacement I guess they must have their suspicions on state of replacement battery outside what the mileage display is showing.

Might be pedantic and I might be wrong but the BMS is in the penthouse of the battery. I donā€™t think Tesla take off the penthouse on the battery on a battery swap I.e. the BMS on the battery is the one that came with the replacement battery and the BMS wouldnā€™t be confused. I think itā€™s the car computer that takes the BMS voltage readings and calculates how far the car will travel for the current voltage / SoC.
I donā€™t think Tesla advertised on the UK website using the range of the 82kWh battery - if you got one it was just a perk. Again happy to be wrong on that. If the battery isnā€™t faulty and it meets the normal degradation curve against the advertised range then they might just say no. I.e there is no longer a fault and no breech of contract.