Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OUTSTANDING. Thanks so much (and to you too, #kdday): I appreciate how much time and effort such a video requires. You have helped many of us. I'm hopeful that others will use your video as a springboard to demonstrate the installation of other add-ons that build off of the CAN Bus kit.

AP1 and pre-AP are the same.

@BearBu has a nice guide for his HDMI interface that shows the location: Installation Guide for Pre-AP_&_AP1.pdf

You can also see it in the old install guide here: https://ev-cpo.com/cams/Camera_Instructions_V2.pdf

Basically, just remove this panel (it just pops up; held in with plastic automotive clips), then find the blue wire at the back (The larger one).

Credit @BearBu for this image:
LHD_Driver_side.jpg

Attachments

• LDH Driver side.jpg
    LDH Driver side.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: BearBu and Akikiki
On my car it seems the most logical place to mount the camera is either on the top or bottom (preferred) of the front license plate. The bottom of the plate is 13" above the ground. Is that sufficient or does it need to be higher, at the top of the plate?

upload_2019-1-17_21-58-49.png

Also in the instructions it mentions an optional camera bracket but the OpenEVSE site does not show such a part available. Suggestions?

upload_2019-1-17_21-55-6.png

On my car it seems the most logical place to mount the camera is either on the top or bottom (preferred) of the front license plate. The bottom of the plate is 13" above the ground. Is that sufficient or does it need to be higher, at the top of the plate?

View attachment 369738

Also in the instructions it mentions an optional camera bracket but the OpenEVSE site does not show such a part available. Suggestions?

View attachment 369737

Where did you see that camera bracket? Is there one available somewhere?

New AP2 install video finally uploaded! It's long (I didn't do a great job editing :/), but I broke it down into hopefully helpful bookmarks:

01:10 - Remove Frunk Trim
02:48 - Fish Front Camera Wire
06:13 - Removing the HSD Connector Housing
06:40 - Fish HSD Cable Through Door Panel
08:05 - Frunk Cable Management
09:36 - Mount Front Camera
10:34 - Route HSD Through Door Gasket
12:40 - Remove Glovebox
17:03 - Route HSD Cable Over APE
18:40 - Install CAN Bus Interface
20:32 - Remove MCU Cubby
22:05 - Connect +V GND R to Camera Switch
24:06 - Connect HSD Wires to Camera Switcher
28:05 - Install Remote 27A Battery
29:49 - Pair Remote to Camera Switcher
30:34 - Add Remote to Homelink
32:04 - Reinstall Glovebox
35:12 - Reinstall Interior Trim
36:35 - Reinstall Frunk Trim

Thanks @robby for the help filming the CAN Bus Kit segment!

@appleguru @artsci

Just wondering if you plan to record a video of the install for AP1 cars. This seems to have been requested many, many times and was perhaps planned, but I'm not clear if this is still happening. There now appear to be 2 recent videos for AP2 cars.

Would just request a simple yes or no, so I can either wait to start the install on my Model S AP1 car or try to piece it together from the various old videos and pdf files in this thread (none of which are super clear, by the way).

Thanks!

@appleguru @artsci

Just wondering if you plan to record a video of the install for AP1 cars. This seems to have been requested many, many times and was perhaps planned, but I'm not clear if this is still happening. There now appear to be 2 recent videos for AP2 cars.

Would just request a simple yes or no, so I can either wait to start the install on my Model S AP1 car or try to piece it together from the various old videos and pdf files in this thread (none of which are super clear, by the way).

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don’t own an AP1 car, so cant do a video for one. Happy to help put one together if someone wants to share footage (or even help install/film if you live nearby)..

But in short, no, I have no plans for an AP1 video at this time. We’re here to help you though, and perhaps you can document as you go to make it easier for others!

Unfortunately I don’t own an AP1 car, so cant do a video for one. Happy to help put one together if someone wants to share footage (or even help install/film if you live nearby)..

But in short, no, I have no plans for an AP1 video at this time. We’re here to help you though, and perhaps you can document as you go to make it easier for others!

Understood. Thank you very much for all of the effort on this - excited to install it. Putting it off until spring now that it is sub zero in Chicago!

Understood. Thank you very much for all of the effort on this - excited to install it. Putting it off until spring now that it is sub zero in Chicago!
I have an AP1 MX and the panels are different than the AP1 MS. I need to secure my camera on my license plate frame and once this is done I will take the panels off looking for the junction between the rear camera and MCU. Hopefully it will be the same as the MS but who knows.

Has anyone done a AP1 MX that can let me know where I might find that split?

I have an AP1 MX and the panels are different than the AP1 MS. I need to secure my camera on my license plate frame and once this is done I will take the panels off looking for the junction between the rear camera and MCU. Hopefully it will be the same as the MS but who knows.

Has anyone done a AP1 MX that can let me know where I might find that split?

AP1 MX camera connection may be under the center console... if so, hopefully it is accessible from the right hand side by only removing the carpeted closeout panel... fingers crossed.