TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

Discussion in 'Model S' started by artsci, May 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Here's where we stand.

The gentleman who originally worked with me on the design and manufacturing has agreed to assist with the manufacturing again. The big problem we ran into was certain parts on the PCB are now obsolete, which is why various PCB makers turned me down for production. The board is now being upgraded with up-to-date parts. So I'll provide news as we progress to production.

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 3
  2. Blu Ludicrous

Blu Ludicrous Member

I would definitely like to purchase one of these, how would I do so?

3. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

it has been said "either have patience or become one". Not sure where I am!!

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

When production begins we’ll post that information.

• Like x 2
  5. Thmsmcl

Thmsmcl New Member

This is great news, I learned about series 1some time back, I have regretted missing out on that ever since.

Tonight I found this thread re V2.0, well done guys thank you. Looking forward to sending you money in return for something that seems well worth the value

• Like x 1
  6. Execdec

Execdec New Member

Count me in! I’d like one when they are available. Thank you.

7. AZ Desert Driver

OK Artsci - is been 6 months since you first teased us with this switch. I know you have more important things to do...but can I hope for a Christmas Present?

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Hate to be negative but Christmas is out of the question. I haven’t even received the two test PCBs and we can’t even think about production until those are received and prove to be operable.

• Informative x 1
  9. David.85D

David.85D Member

Christmas 2018 for sure then :p

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Seems like our clock for the camera switch operates on Tesla time:)

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  11. AZ Desert Driver

I might have to learn how to predict where the front bumper is -the old fashion way. Maybe with metal curb feelers!! Whiskers under the mustache ? and they will be grey ones, from ageing. [too much snark?]

12. AZ Desert Driver

First of the year - 6 months of banging curbs. Tell me there is SOME progress!!!

13. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I hope so too. I want to have a spare. just in case.

14. whitex

whitex Active Member

Any way to connect an HDMI or DVI video source instead of a second camera? I would love to just connect my phone to it to display on the big screen (or half of it).

15. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

WhiteX, if you go back and read the two or three threads (each one about a year's worth of posts), you would get an idea of the efforts and research that went in to trying to find an alternative way to get a video feed or image into the cockpit. I watched and read for more than a year as artsci and his team worked to make this all happen. This started when the S did not have parking sensors. I could have stopped once parking sensors were offered, - but it did not. I had parking sensors and installed anyway after it was available. Its the best mod I have done to my S. I've done several. Back to your question in one answer - No. Not to anyone's knowledge that has worked on, installed or tinkered with the current method.

You can try some wireless and wired solutions, but I am confident you are not going to interface to the main screen.

• Like x 2
  16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The two test boards should arrive in a few days. Once successfully tested, production will begin. Assuming all is well, they should be available by March at the latest.

• Like x 1
  17. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Will you be able to test against those $40 Tesla rear camera on Amazon? Do you have one of those?
    I can test if you wish, or send you one of the camera to test.

18. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Supporting Member

@artsci if I can make a suggestion. They make a device that allows homelink to control a cars exhaust valve. My brother is getting it installed on his Alpha Rameo Guilia QV. Maybe this is a good way to control the cameras and it’s integrated into the screen. Almost factory. Anyway just a suggestion.

19. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

A Homelink control daughterboard was included and standard on the Gen1 camera switch which allowed you to switch between the front and rear cameras.

I have no idea if this is planned to be included on the Gen 2 board, but I would guess it is.

20. AZ Desert Driver

I'm still looking forward to WhatEver comes out of these smart guys. Saving just one curb rash on the chin is worth...well its worth something!

• Like x 1