Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Homelink control daughterboard was included and standard on the Gen1 camera switch which allowed you to switch between the front and rear cameras.

I have no idea if this is planned to be included on the Gen 2 board, but I would guess it is.
Well... here I am thinking I’m a smart guy and the smart guys out smarted me. Lol. That is awesome I’m looking forward to see what comes of this. If install is easy enough I want one

Reactions: AZ Desert Driver
Here's where we stand.

The gentleman who originally worked with me on the design and manufacturing has agreed to assist with the manufacturing again. The big problem we ran into was certain parts on the PCB are now obsolete, which is why various PCB makers turned me down for production. The board is now being upgraded with up-to-date parts. So I'll provide news as we progress to production.

Have you had a chance to look at the M3 - the front camera is the first thing I missed!

Have you had a chance to look at the M3 - the front camera is the first thing I missed!

Not yet. I need a Model 3 owner in the Maryland area who’s willing to let me check it out. If they don’t use the same rear camera it may be a problem but I can’t know that until I check out the car.

BTW, the test of the V2 betas will take no time at all. Once I have them it’s a day or two at the most.

I finally got around to testing the new circuit board betas. Sorry to report that the test failed. The rear camera showed fine on the touchscreen but I could not get the front camera to show, even when I plugged it into the rear camera port (which suggests that during the testing something went wrong). And I could not switch between the two. So there's some kind of problem. To track it down I'll have to consult the original designer and do some more testing. But we're on hold for a until I can do some more testing. Hopefully I can do that later today. I was testing a naked pc board, which makes it vulnerable. When I do the next tests I'm going to mount it in the case.

BTW, When I switched back to my original PC board (in the case), everything worked fine, and instantly.

Last edited:
I bought a rear camera to be ready for this front camera switch. I am hoping that the new PCB board will NOT be so modernized as to make my purchased parts obsolete.
Still waiting - still hoping - still scraping the chin of my Tesla on parking curbs.
Give me a scrap of optimism please!!

What is the possibility that this can be turned into a 2-channel dash cam as well?

Zero. Dashcams are cheap enough and do that job very very well. To start from scratch and write homegrown dashcam software (not to mention to engineer the additional hardware/processor/memory/buttons/interface required) is well beyond the scope of a simple forward looking camera which @artsci sells at cost and as a labor of love for the community (as are most of his projects).

Also, the extreme wide angle and below the bumper position of the front camera would not be terribly useful as a dashcam, unless you need a record of all the curbs you won't hit. Yes, the extreme wide angle perspective can be fixed in software. Who's going to write the software to do that?

Zero. Dashcams are cheap enough and do that job very very well. To start from scratch and write homegrown dashcam software (not to mention to engineer the additional hardware/processor/memory/buttons/interface required) is well beyond the scope of a simple forward looking camera which @artsci sells at cost and as a labor of love for the community (as are most of his projects).

Also, the extreme wide angle and below the bumper position of the front camera would not be terribly useful as a dashcam, unless you need a record of all the curbs you won't hit. Yes, the extreme wide angle perspective can be fixed in software. Who's going to write the software to do that?

Excatly, and thanks Hank.