TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

Discussion in 'Model S' started by artsci, May 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Supporting Member

Well... here I am thinking I’m a smart guy and the smart guys out smarted me. Lol. That is awesome I’m looking forward to see what comes of this. If install is easy enough I want one

• Like x 1
  2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Even if the install isn't "easy" (which it is) -- it is by far the best thing you can add to a Model S (and likely MX, but I'm not sure that's been done yet).

• Like x 1
  3. rbergquist

rbergquist S946 - VIN 1017 & M3 2327

Have you had a chance to look at the M3 - the front camera is the first thing I missed!

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Not yet. I need a Model 3 owner in the Maryland area who’s willing to let me check it out. If they don’t use the same rear camera it may be a problem but I can’t know that until I check out the car.

BTW, the test of the V2 betas will take no time at all. Once I have them it’s a day or two at the most.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. SCP85

SCP85 Member

Interested in this! Please pm when you have switches available

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I now have the V2 betas. Will test them this weekend and report results here.

• Like x 5
  7. Spartan53

Spartan53 Member

Please PM me I really have been waiting for this switch kit!

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#148 artsci, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    I finally got around to testing the new circuit board betas. Sorry to report that the test failed. The rear camera showed fine on the touchscreen but I could not get the front camera to show, even when I plugged it into the rear camera port (which suggests that during the testing something went wrong). And I could not switch between the two. So there's some kind of problem. To track it down I'll have to consult the original designer and do some more testing. But we're on hold for a until I can do some more testing. Hopefully I can do that later today. I was testing a naked pc board, which makes it vulnerable. When I do the next tests I'm going to mount it in the case.

BTW, When I switched back to my original PC board (in the case), everything worked fine, and instantly.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. garybixler

garybixler New Member

Artsci
    How do I go about purchasing this V2 unit?
    Thanks Gary

• Disagree x 1
  10. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Gary, you're in the right place. We'll find out when it's closer to a ready to buy product, there is some re-engineering that needs to be done.

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Will run another set of tests this weekend.

• Like x 1
  12. garybixler

garybixler New Member

Thanks so much Chaserr.
    Gary

13. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

Were you able to get to a second round of testing? I'm hoping you will be able to overcome any obstacles to getting the second generation board working! Best of luck.

• Like x 1
  14. baglunch

baglunch Member

Is there a way to make sure I'd be able to get in on the next batch? Deposit, etc.?

15. SCP85

SCP85 Member

Also in for updates

16. Exiom

Exiom Member

What is the possibility that this can be turned into a 2-channel dash cam as well?

• Like x 1
  17. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

I bought a rear camera to be ready for this front camera switch. I am hoping that the new PCB board will NOT be so modernized as to make my purchased parts obsolete.
    Still waiting - still hoping - still scraping the chin of my Tesla on parking curbs.
    Give me a scrap of optimism please!!

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Zero. Dashcams are cheap enough and do that job very very well. To start from scratch and write homegrown dashcam software (not to mention to engineer the additional hardware/processor/memory/buttons/interface required) is well beyond the scope of a simple forward looking camera which @artsci sells at cost and as a labor of love for the community (as are most of his projects).

Also, the extreme wide angle and below the bumper position of the front camera would not be terribly useful as a dashcam, unless you need a record of all the curbs you won't hit. Yes, the extreme wide angle perspective can be fixed in software. Who's going to write the software to do that?

• Like x 2
  19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Excatly, and thanks Hank.

20. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Supporting Member

Interested as well