TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

3.0 Battery Sold Out

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Frisco-Dad, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Frisco-Dad

Frisco-Dad Member

I was browsing the Tesla website, and I noticed the site says that the 3.0 battery upgrade is sold out. Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade Has anyone heard anything about this? I hope Tesla has plans to re-stock.

upload_2018-11-6_10-33-23.png upload_2018-11-6_10-33-23.png

2. Roadster

Roadster Member

End of an era. That would mean everything Roadster related is sold out.

Tesla | Roadster

3. mark273

mark273 Member

ARE YOU SERIOUS ALREADY!

4. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

Hmm. Since they are sort of building these as they go, it seems unlikely they are sold out permanently. Additionally, there must be something available, since many of us pre-bought our first replacement battery and have a contract that guarantees we can replace our battery with a new one (original capacity) as far as 10 years out from our purchase. Having bought my car new in June 2011, that still gives me nearly 3 years...

5. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

We for see how is first to rebuild a battery pack with S-cells

6. backmost

backmost Member

Damn, I'm so glad I picked up a 3.0. Sad to see the Roadster store come to an end. I remember years back in college when the Roadster started deliveries and browsing the store. At the time I laughed at the possibility of owning a $130k plus car. Only took 10 years and luckily used prices were much more affordable!

Oh well, if it means Tesla is finally cutting the cord (pun intended) at least we all have each other.

• Like x 3
  7. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

I agree. There are still battery replacement obligations that need to be fulfilled. Maybe they're studying the longevity issues as well and coming out with a "3.5" battery? Who knows?

I'd be surprised if it's permanently sold out, but it's also quite possible.

I never got the 3.0. I had thought about it a few months ago, but the longevity thread gave me pause.

Can someone Tweet Elon about this? I'm not on social media.

• Like x 1
  8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I think most of you are jumping to unrealistic conclusions. I agree with @ViperDoc and @shrink. It doesn't say "Permanently sold out". It says "out of stock" which sounds more temporary to me. I suspect they've got everybody working on Model 3 production and will get back to 3.0 packs when they get some breathing room and perhaps sort out the longevity issues. The reason you know this is only temporary is because Tesla has a lot of contractual replacement obligations.

• Like x 1
  9. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

Today it’s model 3, next year the model Y and then the 2020 Roadster. The battery cells we have are old tech that probably have not been made for years. The 3.0 even as a replacement would be equal to the original. The question is what are they doing to the inverter/bsm/PEM to allow the car to use the larger capacity pack. The model s master BSM has already been emulated allowing stock tesla slaves to be controlled. I have no idea what type of can bus the roadser is using but if I can put tesla slaves on a Chevy volt pack to power a p85 unit I’m sure finding out what they do to the PEM and reverse engineering tesla modules to fit in the available space is possibly not only a way forward but also may be a path to upgrading power output.

10. Roadster

Roadster Member

11. Roadster

Roadster Member

12. da2ny

da2ny 2010 Roadster Sport Twilight Blue #913

My real concern is if they will no longer support the battery on a seven year-old model, why would I buy a new S, X, 3 or Y and expect them to support the car? It is an even greater problem in that there are no aftermarket parts for Teslas. We are totally dependent on Tesla for parts and service, and then they leave us in the lurch after only 7 years. Hopefully we are wrong, and they will be providing battery and other support on a continuing basis. BTW, I can still get parts for my 1976 Jaguar.

13. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 10.07.59 PM.png
    Back to "Out of Stock" now. Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 10.07.59 PM.png

I was assured by a Service Manager that since I put my $5K down earlier, I'm still in line to get one.

14. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

That page is working again now.

When I was at the Pomona Service Center about 2 weeks ago, I saw 7 roadsters in the back. That means there are still quite a few being serviced right now and I expect more will come. As others have said, maybe they're working on a Roadster 3.5 pack but that's doubtful.

Same here...I remember drooling over the Roadster in college when I was driving a simple clunker back then....now I have a car faster than a Roadster.