Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3.0 Battery Sold Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was browsing the Tesla website, and I noticed the site says that the 3.0 battery upgrade is sold out. Roadster 3.0 Battery Upgrade Has anyone heard anything about this? I hope Tesla has plans to re-stock.

upload_2018-11-6_10-33-23.png
upload_2018-11-6_10-33-23.png

Hmm. Since they are sort of building these as they go, it seems unlikely they are sold out permanently. Additionally, there must be something available, since many of us pre-bought our first replacement battery and have a contract that guarantees we can replace our battery with a new one (original capacity) as far as 10 years out from our purchase. Having bought my car new in June 2011, that still gives me nearly 3 years...

Reactions: AtAge19
Damn, I'm so glad I picked up a 3.0. Sad to see the Roadster store come to an end. I remember years back in college when the Roadster started deliveries and browsing the store. At the time I laughed at the possibility of owning a $130k plus car. Only took 10 years and luckily used prices were much more affordable!

Oh well, if it means Tesla is finally cutting the cord (pun intended) at least we all have each other.

Hmm. Since they are sort of building these as they go, it seems unlikely they are sold out permanently. Additionally, there must be something available, since many of us pre-bought our first replacement battery and have a contract that guarantees we can replace our battery with a new one (original capacity) as far as 10 years out from our purchase. Having bought my car new in June 2011, that still gives me nearly 3 years...

I agree. There are still battery replacement obligations that need to be fulfilled. Maybe they're studying the longevity issues as well and coming out with a "3.5" battery? Who knows?

I'd be surprised if it's permanently sold out, but it's also quite possible.

I never got the 3.0. I had thought about it a few months ago, but the longevity thread gave me pause.

Can someone Tweet Elon about this? I'm not on social media.

Reactions: Brando and ICON
I think most of you are jumping to unrealistic conclusions. I agree with @ViperDoc and @shrink. It doesn't say "Permanently sold out". It says "out of stock" which sounds more temporary to me. I suspect they've got everybody working on Model 3 production and will get back to 3.0 packs when they get some breathing room and perhaps sort out the longevity issues. The reason you know this is only temporary is because Tesla has a lot of contractual replacement obligations.

Today it’s model 3, next year the model Y and then the 2020 Roadster. The battery cells we have are old tech that probably have not been made for years. The 3.0 even as a replacement would be equal to the original. The question is what are they doing to the inverter/bsm/PEM to allow the car to use the larger capacity pack. The model s master BSM has already been emulated allowing stock tesla slaves to be controlled. I have no idea what type of can bus the roadser is using but if I can put tesla slaves on a Chevy volt pack to power a p85 unit I’m sure finding out what they do to the PEM and reverse engineering tesla modules to fit in the available space is possibly not only a way forward but also may be a path to upgrading power output.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
My real concern is if they will no longer support the battery on a seven year-old model, why would I buy a new S, X, 3 or Y and expect them to support the car? It is an even greater problem in that there are no aftermarket parts for Teslas. We are totally dependent on Tesla for parts and service, and then they leave us in the lurch after only 7 years. Hopefully we are wrong, and they will be providing battery and other support on a continuing basis. BTW, I can still get parts for my 1976 Jaguar.

That page is working again now.

When I was at the Pomona Service Center about 2 weeks ago, I saw 7 roadsters in the back. That means there are still quite a few being serviced right now and I expect more will come. As others have said, maybe they're working on a Roadster 3.5 pack but that's doubtful.

Damn, I'm so glad I picked up a 3.0. Sad to see the Roadster store come to an end. I remember years back in college when the Roadster started deliveries and browsing the store. At the time I laughed at the possibility of owning a $130k plus car. Only took 10 years and luckily used prices were much more affordable!

Oh well, if it means Tesla is finally cutting the cord (pun intended) at least we all have each other.

Same here...I remember drooling over the Roadster in college when I was driving a simple clunker back then....now I have a car faster than a Roadster.

I thought the 3.0 pack was using S/X cells? Shouldn't be a shortage of those. I agree w/ @hcsharp it's probably just no one available to build the packs.
no, LG Chem supplied battery cells - I don't know the format of the cells.

Suspect one of the conversion/electrification shops might take on a project if you have the money.
EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits
And the Roadster forum is the place to find other owners.

I think all the Roadster packs and S/X (so far to date) all use 18650 cells, but Roadster electronics weren't compatible with the Panasonic style S/X cells.
I think perhaps Roadster 3.0 pack uses Samsung or LG cells with somewhat more capacity than the original Roadster cells, but not as much as S/X cells.
Consider it unconfirmed, but I recall hearing something about S/X cells can drop to a lower voltage (for more capacity) than the Roadster electronics could handle.

Model 3 and Powerwall use the new larger format cells. People seem to think that S & X may someday switch to the new 2170 cells. Y / Semi / Pickup will also likely use them.

I thought the 3.0 pack was using S/X cells? Shouldn't be a shortage of those. I agree w/ @hcsharp it's probably just no one available to build the packs.
No, the cells are not currently ones used in any Tesla, in fact, there is evidence that the exact cells never been used in a vehicle of any kind. (Similar ones, yes, but not exactly the same.) A bit scary in that regard, since small changes in chemistry can have effects years down the line, for example, the infamous silicon anode issue on the 90 kwh S & X.

Last time I had my Roadster in for service (last spring), the person I talked to said Tesla had "one guy in the back of the factory building them". Maybe he's on another assignment, or ?

I wanted to share a local friend's experience with this issue. He recently went to the service center to reserve an R80 pack, as his battery failed. They said they'd locate a pack and get back to him regarding placing the deposit. Two days later, he told me an email came back stating the R80 pack is out of stock, there is no longer an option to place an order for it, and there is no estimate on timeframe. They said they'd let him know when they find more info.

Two weeks later, and he apparently got another email stating they found him an original battery pack (53kWh) and it'll be arriving in 2-3 weeks.

So at least there's THAT. At least there's a somewhat quick replacement option. From what it seems like, I hope they're re-engineering the 3.0 pack (in their very, very limited spare time) to address the rapid degradation from time, instead of mileage/charging habits like normal batteries.

I wonder, does anyone have a dead sheet? I’m still pondering about the PEM upgrade, I’m now wondering if it’s jut a calibration algorithm to be able to put the new range in an analogue format. I mean if the cells are lithium Ion with a higher mah should the car care. It doesn’t care if I put my 18 inch rims on, or if I put snow tires on, why would it care what cells are making up the pack, unless the algorithms were designed for the specific cell you would never get the increased range showing on the display, however you would regain your original range and possibly still have it for a lot longer. I’d love to get my hands on a dead sheet to see if it’s doable