Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3,500 mile adventure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 85D. Now with 5,800 miles ODO.

Last few weeks I traveled from Saint Petersburg Florida, to Franklin Tennessee, to Novi Michigan. My return trip took me through Canada to northern New Jersey, then back to Florida.

Total electricity used- Just over one megawatt-hour. Trip total 3445.3 miles. Total cost of electricity $16.00. (That I paid for).

Stopped at 22 supercharger's and home charged four times. Never had any anxiety related to range. Lowest I had the battery was 9%.

Like other have mentioned, the sweet spot for distance between supercharger's is 100-150 miles. The short stops were close to 20 minutes, longer charges up to an hour. Average stop time was roughly 35 min. I tried to charge to 150% of actual miles required when time allowed. That crept down as I gained more confidence. Average speed with all daytime stops was 50-55 mph. I then used this number to gage a days trip time.

Weather was generally good and my Wh/mi averaged about 310. So rated miles were always close. Speed traveled was 75 mph on outbound trip, closer to 70 return through the northeast. Actual speed varied by construction, etc.

When stopped to eat is when I charged for the longest. This allowed me to skip the next supercharger generally.

On outbound trip, I used the autopilot 80%. My trial ended on return trip and this was sorely missed. Autopilot usage allowed a quick text or a burger with far less hassle than without it.

I didn't use tesla trip planner, I just planned the next stop during charging. Was very simple. On the return, I did plot out and use EVTrip planner but this wasn't really needed.

Like others mention, not all supercharger's are equal. I found the supercharger's at Tesla service centers the least convenient. For instance, the supercharger at Brentwood @0600 was not by anything open. I walked a mile to Starbucks and charged to 95%. I needed this because my next stop was nearly 200 miles away. Also, the supercharger in Chattanooga is at the airport and it was essentially closed except for restrooms. Also a bit tricky to find. Never waited for a supercharger. Usually 0-2 cars charging when I arrived.

For routes I was unsure of, I used an app called inRoute. inRoute

It tells me wind, rain, temp, elevation, and curviness for the route at the time you travel it. I mainly used it for elevation. Wind speed didn't seem to affect range much.

So in summary, this is the future. The trip was uneventful and fun. Another bucket list check box!

Looking to travel from Mass to Yellowstone then back through Utah, Denver, and St. Louis on way home. Did you find superchargers fairly easily? Using autopilot 80% on way out, but not on the way back?? Why? Autopilot will certainly help long distance travel safety and fatigue. Thanks so much for your post !!!!

Looking to travel from Mass to Yellowstone then back through Utah, Denver, and St. Louis on way home. Did you find superchargers fairly easily? Using autopilot 80% on way out, but not on the way back?? Why? Autopilot will certainly help long distance travel safety and fatigue. Thanks so much for your post !!!!

Like stated , my autopilot was a trial. I didn't purchase the option since I'm leasing.

Supercharger's are really easy. Pull in and plug in. Read through other posts on charging and helpful details. Have fun!

You should have enabled AP and have that priced into the car before leasing. Then you will only be paying for the portion of the lease payments and not the residual.

Of course at that time you probably didn't know how good is AP. Test drives don't do justice.

You should have enabled AP and have that priced into the car before leasing. Then you will only be paying for the portion of the lease payments and not the residual.

Of course at that time you probably didn't know how good is AP. Test drives don't do justice.

I hear ya. I would consider if they lowered the price for AP purchase enabled after purchase. My next S will certainly have it since I'll be able to roam the country easier then. As it stands, if I did these road trips every year, I'd certainly break the 36,000 lease barrier.