Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Car Seats - Twins due in September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My son will be 3 and I'll have two brand new babies later this year. With that said, I will need 3 rear facing car seats ....and a second job o_O. I currently drives a two door coupe and am looking to replace it asap; optimally with a Model 3.

I've read accounts of 3 car seats installed across the rear bench but haven't been able to find much in the way of actual users with three rear facing installed day to day. Has anyone come across this or better yet has this current set up? Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
I have an eight year old and two six year old twins.

It will be really hard to *safely* install three car seats back there, front or rear facing. Personally I do not recommend putting three back there until they are using backless booster seats.

I have 3 boys (7.5, 5 and 2.5). We have 2 car seats on the outside and then a oldest sits in the middle with a buckle. 3 Across is probably possible but would be a VERY, VERY tight squeeze. You can check out the miFold for the middle seat (your son may be too young for this option though). Better option may very well be the Y (but that means waiting a few more years) or a CPO (certified pre-owned) Model S/X.

I have the radian 3rxt, very narrow which is great. radian car seats are built great IMO and most of the models can do 3 across.

I am a twin, congrats. I also have 3 kids now: 8, 4, and 6month old. The two oldest love my model 3.

Can the model 3 even do rear facing in the middle seat, i thought it was not recommended.

Even if the seats fit, don’t forget the strollers and other extra stuff you will be carrying. A suv or a minivan really is what you will need. Also what if an adult ever has to sit in the back to comfort or calm the little ones? You can’t move your other kid to the front.

Reactions: Scott7
I have one on the way in August and we tried to fit just the rear facing infant seat and it's pretty tight. No way it would fit behind the driver's seat in my case, unless I get uncomfortably close to the wheel. Supposedly the reversible one that we have to get later is even bigger.

I can't imagine three. My plan is this:

We're planning to have two kids. (if the next one happens to be twins then I'll be in your same boat.) Since my wife is shorter than I am I'll put the seat behind her, when the kid weighs enough (regardless of age) we'll turn the reversible car seat around to be forward facing and that one can be behind me.

Reactions: akidesir
Having three kids myself, I would say that it is time to get a Minivan. I have a Model 3 MR and my wife has an Odyssey. I know that minivans have a stigma, but they really are built for the job of carting kids and stuff around. If you are going to try to fit three seats across in the Model 3, the only company that I know of (and used) is Diono. The Radian seats are narrow and built like a tank. They sit lower than other bands so they might hit the back of the front seats when in the rear facing position. They did in my LEAF. However, carting the stuff that babies need in the Model 3 will be really tough.

Reactions: akidesir and Scott7
Having three kids myself, I would say that it is time to get a Minivan. I have a Model 3 MR and my wife has an Odyssey. I know that minivans have a stigma, but they really are built for the job of carting kids and stuff around. If you are going to try to fit three seats across in the Model 3, the only company that I know of (and used) is Diono. The Radian seats are narrow and built like a tank. They sit lower than other bands so they might hit the back of the front seats when in the rear facing position. They did in my LEAF. However, carting the stuff that babies need in the Model 3 will be really tough.
I can second this. We have my model 3 and my wife has the plug in Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid.

Reactions: Big Earl