Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 dual motor - are both motors used all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The answer to the torque question is in mh4k's link.

But I'm not sure what you mean by better regen braking. It works very well in our single-motor Model 3, so I'm not sure how it could be improved. If it isn't enough, you just hit the brake; if it were stronger it wouldn't be so smooth to drive.
The RWD SR has more limited regen. The AWD uses the front motor to regen which gives you more power than just the rear motor regen.

The only time the front motor engages Regen, is when the m3p is set in track mode. I tested this and recorded it the other day. M3lr only does rear motor regen
LOL, that's not true. Basically what you're saying is that the LR can't use the front motor to regen. So a perfectly fine motor that CAN do regen but Tesla for some weird reason doesn't use it. OK...

Track mode keeps the motor on but the regen is the same as the LR. Both motors are used in the LR and P.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
LOL, that's not true. Basically what you're saying is that the LR can't use the front motor to regen. So a perfectly fine motor that CAN do regen but Tesla for some weird reason doesn't use it. OK...

Track mode keeps the motor on but the regen is the same as the LR. Both motors are used in the LR and P.
Sam1 is correct. Regen is only on the rear motor. However, the front motor can be used for retardation, but it doesn't regen. Subtle difference.

Reactions: hcdavis3 and Sam1

It is absolutely correct information, here is a readout of the data recorded directly from the car (not an assumption, but an actual measurement).

Sam1 is correct. Regen is only on the rear motor. However, the front motor can be used for retardation, but it doesn't regen. Subtle difference.

Could it be because of the different types of electric motors being used? Maybe the front one gets hot easier or is less efficient, or something...I don't know enough about the motor technologies to assume why they program it like this.

Base Model 3: $40,000.

Second motor $9000, fool self-driving $10,000, red instead of white $2000, white interior so you can spend your time cleaning it $1000, rear seat heater rip-off $300, big-penis wheels $1900 for a stiffer ride... Total: $24,200.

That's an extra 60%, or the price of a Subaru - which is an excellent car.

The base model kicks *serious* arse. I've driven a lot of cars, and none comes close to being as much fun to drive.

Base Model 3: $40,000.

Second motor $9000, fool self-driving $10,000, red instead of white $2000, white interior so you can spend your time cleaning it $1000, rear seat heater rip-off $300, big-penis wheels $1900 for a stiffer ride... Total: $24,200.

That's an extra 60%, or the price of a Subaru - which is an excellent car.

The base model kicks *serious* arse. I've driven a lot of cars, and none comes close to being as much fun to drive.
Everyone has different needs and wants. Base model that's 25% slower accelerating and has about 25% less range, and slower charging, is something a lot of people don't want to deal with. But it may be fine for you.

And the second motor is $6k.

Welcome to the forum; don't believe every bit of information you read online (especially marketing statements/terminology). And the M3P doesn't have better traction over the M3LR.
@Jegga51 was absolutely correct in every word of his post. The 3P has better traction than other models in the vast majority of the world thru the vast majority of the year. I'd even bet that the vast majority of 3P owners enjoy better traction all year round. But everyone knows that. The point he was really trying to add was more on-topic - that the 3P uniquely utilizes the front motor to improve rotation (if that's something you want to "improve"), which is absolutely correct as well.

@Jegga51 was absolutely correct in every word of his post. The 3P has better traction than other models in the vast majority of the world thru the vast majority of the year. I'd even bet that the vast majority of 3P owners enjoy better traction all year round. But everyone knows that. The point he was really trying to add was more on-topic - that the 3P uniquely utilizes the front motor to improve rotation (if that's something you want to "improve"), which is absolutely correct as well.

Oh boy, here we go again with a Tesla Stan trying to split hairs. He said specifically that "The Performance model turns up the wick, not just with better traction, but by using the motors in tandem for better rotation." The performance does not have any systems that give it more traction than the dual motor non-P. End of story.

• Funny
Everyone has different needs and wants. Base model that's 25% slower accelerating and has about 25% less range, and slower charging, is something a lot of people don't want to deal with. But it may be fine for you.

And the second motor is $6k.

It was $9000 when we ordered our Model 3 over the summer. And it's not 25% slower, it's much faster than you should ever accelerate on the road.

If you want to pay $9000 (not $6000) to save a few minutes of charging time on long trips, I won't stop you. Same with $2000 for red. Just let me and PT Barnum know first so I can buy some Tesla stock and get rich off you.

But seriously. Are you really going to mansplain me that people have different needs and wants? SERIOUSLY?! Does it really require deep levels of subtlety to get the cue that I'm just being snarky and kidding around?

Wait. I just re-read what you wrote. "Some people don't want to deal with...". Wow. Breathtaking.

It was $9000 when we ordered our Model 3 over the summer. And it's not 25% slower, it's much faster than you should ever accelerate on the road.

If you want to pay $9000 (not $6000) to save a few minutes of charging time on long trips, I won't stop you. Same with $2000 for red. Just let me and PT Barnum know first so I can buy some Tesla stock and get rich off you.

But seriously. Are you really going to mansplain me that people have different needs and wants? SERIOUSLY?! Does it really require deep levels of subtlety to get the cue that I'm just being snarky and kidding around?

Wait. I just re-read what you wrote. "Some people don't want to deal with...". Wow. Breathtaking.
Actually it is, 0-60 on the standard model is 27.59% (we can carry that out to whatever decimal point you would like) slower than the dual motor (5.8 seconds to 4.2 seconds). As for your statement on people's' needs and wants, you said the base model kicks ass, that's because it's your opinion. However, there are tons more that think a slow car like that, "doesn't kick *serious* arse". I don't like getting into specifics, but since you said it was not 25% slower, I wanted to correct that and say it is slower than 25% slower. But there's nothing wrong with that, people buy different cars for different reasons.

The performance does not have any systems that give it more traction than the dual motor non-P. End of story.
Uh, yes it does. No one said anything about "systems" and few of us are concerned about traction on ice, but yes, a Performance model has more traction than any other variant the vast majority of the time.

And to be clear, I'm referring to a 3P, not a P- or LR+ or whatever - an actual P model which is generally and currently only available with the "traction upgrade package".

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Sam1
Right, and my point is that the standard one already takes off way faster than anyone should ever go on public roads - even going up a hill.

It's the way you put it I'm squabbling over, not your maths! :)

"faster than anyone should ever go on public roads" is also your opinion. I bet John Force thinks a 1.2 second 0-60 mph on the street is still too slow.

Also, it's not that there's no value in all-wheel drive and the extended range, it's the price I'm kvetching about. For $6000 we might even have done it, but now that we have the car I don't miss it.

Same with red, or a white interior - if you like that, great, but $3000 feels like sodomy (not that I'm intimately familiar with how it feels, in case anyone is worried).

Big wheels... well, okay, but big wheels means smaller tires, right? I personally would rather not have a stiffer ride than the car already has. It doesn't bother me, but for passengers who aren't fully able-bodied it can be a little uncomfortable.