Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 months into my CPO and I want a new one!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So 3 months ago, I decided to purchase the CPO listed in my signature (with only 10k miles) as opposed to purchasing a new 2017. This decision saved me roughly 3-4k off sales price compared to buying a new one along with getting a better battery and more options such as a Pano Roof and wood trim. It also allowed me to finance less since I would have had to wait until next year to get a tax break. I bought my CPO for $72,500. The only downside to not purchasing new was not getting AP2 and getting the new facelift.

Fast forward and now that same $3,500 difference gets me a 75D battery instead of a 60, glass roof and of course the new facelift, which I actually really like a lot more now than the old front. In addition, AP2.0 has almost reached parity. There is also a $500 New York State rebate now as well. I actually also miss having Sirius built into the car as I find it annoying to constantly use the iPhone app via Bluetooth. I might consider the UFHD if purchasing new. I think a 75 battery would suit me fine since I drive 30 miles round trip on most days.

I love my car, but why do I feel such lust for a new one now? I assume these feelings are very normal when buying a Tesla as they are constantly changing their technology and options but I am curious to see how others have dealt with this? Is this normal? Or am I being completely impulsive? I probably would take a pretty decent hit if I traded it in or sold it privately to buy a new one. My guess is 7k. My car now has 12,600 miles.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
It may be useful to treat Tesla as a phone. You know that technology keeps improving. Just settle on a 2-4 year upgrade cycle and stick with your current car for 2-4 years. Upgrade to the latest and greatest in a few years (but be aware that it is likely that in a few month after your new purchase there will be something even cooler). That is assuming that the Tesla will keep adding features as often as they do now.

@Rogard is right, but best part about this thread is thinking your hit is 7k. My guess not knowing any details... 20-25k

I didn't realize my signature doesn't show from the mobile version. It is a 2015 85D with 10,500 miles, midnight silver, Black nappa leather seats, AP 1.0, pano roof, obeche wood, subzero package for $72,500. It's now 12, 500 miles. 25k hit for driving 2k miles? Wow!

LOL. I might be mistaken but think I read when you were all excited about finding your 85D CPO. Yes, something new always come out after you buy something to tempt you. I'd say remember how happy you were to get your car and enjoy driving it. Roll open the pano window come summer and breathe in the nice air, warm yourself and passengers in the meantime with the subzero package. Not everything has been rolled out for AP2 yet anyway and doubt any real meaningful progress will happen on the FSD front for a while to come (from Tesla or others). At some point down the road you will want "that" new Tesla release and it will make more sense and be more powerful with more cool features. Right now you'd be changing for what? less range and the refreshed nosecone really. A nosecone that you already saw when you chose the 85D. Those that lead happy lives with less stress are those that are happy with what they have. Go have fun driving.

LOL. I might be mistaken but think I read when you were all excited about finding your 85D CPO. Yes, something new always come out after you buy something to tempt you. I'd say remember how happy you were to get your car and enjoy driving it. Roll open the pano window come summer and breathe in the nice air, warm yourself and passengers in the meantime with the subzero package. Not everything has been rolled out for AP2 yet anyway and doubt any real meaningful progress will happen on the FSD front for a while to come (from Tesla or others). At some point down the road you will want "that" new Tesla release and it will make more sense and be more powerful with more cool features. Right now you'd be changing for what? less range and the refreshed nosecone really. A nosecone that you already saw when you chose the 85D. Those that lead happy lives with less stress are those that are happy with what they have. Go have fun driving.

Great advice and I was super pumped to get my 85D and there is not a day that goes by, I don't say what an awesome car. I financed the car with a 6 year loan, and highly doubt I'll see that loan to the end lol

Reactions: SMAlset
BTW mbhforum being a CPO and one with low mileage don't you also get the 4yr/50,000 limited warranty with it and being a 2015, the Free Supercharging for lifetime? Hope you can plan some nice driving trips while you own it and feel good about the free electrons. Like Elon said if you stay with friends and have your meals taken care of you can leave your wallet at home.

As for the nosecone, you don't see it when your driving :D

I just got my car back after having a P85 loaner with the old nosecone. I REALLY dislike the old nosecone. The front is so much better. I do like the rear diffuser (chrome trim) on the older models though.
I had two service loaners early on (P85 and a 60) with the old nosecone, and did love the huge frunk. Since I don't have the HEPA filter or the D I would have preferred to have the larger frunk, mainly for taking pizzas to keep my car from smelling like food.

I just bought my Model S 85 for well under its value 1. because it was a great deal and 2. because I can get an earlier model 3 (if i decide i want one).
I put on a TON of highway miles, autppilot would be a god send for me.. i just couldnt justify 100k. so ill either get a fairly maxed 3, or get a used/cpo 2016 AP2 refresh in a year or two. But for right now, my 85 is great. but you always want more.

Agree with other posters that change is constant with Tesla. That said I have a 2015 85D. It is a great car. Finding one with such low mileage is a lucky thing. I have 41k miles on mine and I'm just approaching the 2 yr mark. Range is important to me and I like the very quick acceleration, and as was noted the option for Sirius. The only choice I would consider is the 100D - and I'm actively considering it, because of the range. Last point - my MSRP was $101k, whereas you picked up the car for $72,500 - an amazing deal. I would say the glass is more than half full for you..

• Love
I had two service loaners early on (P85 and a 60) with the old nosecone, and did love the huge frunk. Since I don't have the HEPA filter or the D I would have preferred to have the larger frunk, mainly for taking pizzas to keep my car from smelling like food.

Funny you mention the pizzas. We tried putting some pizzas we had picked up from ModPizza (their small size) into our 75D frunk and they didn't fit. Our 75D also has the PUP air filtration system which we do really like though.

Yes, I seemed to get a great deal on my CPO. I looked for only a month but it was the only low mileage 15 for that price with the options I wanted and I jumped on it. I didn't mind the nosecone much st first but now I don't like it as much. I haven't taken a long road trip yet but plan on it this summer.

@mbhforum, Enjoy your car, don't always try to have the latest. You took a $10K+ drop the second you drive off the lot, then whatever you feel the depreciation is. That $10K is to resell your car (clean it, advertise it, show it/test-drive-it, risk of car not selling and it dropping in price). This is not unique to Tesla btw (try to buy a car from a dealer then ask what your trade value is in 2 months).

Don't worry about AP2, it's still not up to par to AP1, regardless what others will tell you. Blind spot detection sucks just as bad as it does on AP1, lane keeping is worse, and nothing new is available. Yes, AP2 has the potential to eventually be better, but not there yet. By the time FSD happens (if it ever will for AP2) there will likely be newer and better FSD hw available in new Tesla cars, and also from competitors (have you seen the Nissan self driving demo?)

Bottom line, enjoy your car, really, the new one seems so much better, but it really isn't worth $20K depreciation plus whatever upgrade you want to do (if it's P100D you're talking $80K to upgrade). Your 85D is plenty fast, and doesn't suffer from early battery failures as some Ludicrous owners have reported. Save your money, enjoy your car, don't stress over little things you feel you may be missing.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum