Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 phase charger but Tesla only uses 2 phases

capcave

Oct 29, 2020
London
I have a 3 phase charger at home that go up to 22kw. I had not bothered logging into the charger to see what it was doing until recently when my Model S started flaking out on the charging (charges for 2 seconds, turns off, charges for 2 sec, turns off etc). Logging in on the Tesla app it claims 3 phase at 19A, Logging into the charger it's telling me that only 2 phases are running. I have Renault Zoe as well - charging on that runs on 3 phases as expected so the charger seems fine. Just wondering if the Tesla has lost a phase and I need to get it replaced?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201029-212850.png
    Screenshot_20201029-212850.png
    659.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20201029-212920.png
    Screenshot_20201029-212920.png
    228.8 KB · Views: 28

Ande

Jul 28, 2017
Norway
The Tesla charger sucks at this.
The truth is that if you charge at for example 16A then it will load L1 with 16A , L2 and L3 with only 8A , so you get a little more power than a o e phase 16A, but no real 3 phase.
And yes, the app lies about it.
I've told Tesla like thee years ago.

capcave

Oct 29, 2020
London
Sort of defeats the object of putting in a 32 Amp spur not that I use more than 7kw most of the time. I'll log a warranty claim though and see what happens :)

Ande

Jul 28, 2017
Norway
Yes, that would be interesting.
And yes, that defeats not only 32A , but reduces charging power for all who installed 3-phase charging equipment.

Tomilett

Jun 21, 2018
UK
It does depend what on-board charger you have.
In the early days (2014 to??) in the UK (I think EU the same but not sure and certainly not sure about US) you could choose between a single charger or a dual charger. The single charger could do 16A x 3 Ph (11kW ish) and the dual charger could do twice that (22kW, the full amount you're hoping for. This is what I have on my 2014 and can confirm I can charge 22kW AC from 3phase 32A).
This single/dual option was later replaced with an uprated single charger which could manage 16kW I think - I guess this is 23A 3ph or perhaps it doesn't necessarily load the phases equally).
Even still - 8kW seems pretty low as a max on 3ph, so perhaps one phase isn't working as designed! But depending on your on-board charger you may not ever be able to get 22kW, maybe if all phases were at 19A you'd get 12, which would indicate you have an "old" single charger setup?
Your voltage does seem quite low though - I only have single phase at home but it doesn't go below 230V at 32A, are you a long way from a transformer/is the charger a long way from your distribution board?

Tomilett

Jun 21, 2018
UK
I just noticed your "nearby superchargers" suggests you're in France, not London per your profile - perhaps that is the reason for the lower voltage?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC