Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Phase Charging in US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having an awful time trying to search this, because Google thinks it is being helpful showing me thousands of results of 14-50, because its mind reading algorithm thinks that I must be making a mistake, even though I am typing "15-50" in quotes.

So I can't find anything ready made for that. It's a very uncommon type of outlet. It might be possible to build something that could work for that. The specifications for those kinds of outlets say 250V 3 phase, and it is three hot pins and a ground. But I am not sure what the voltage would be between two of the hot pins, since there are a couple of ways to do 3 phase. If you can measure with a volt meter what the voltages are between two of the hot pins in the outlet, that might show what could be done with that.

Upvote 0
There is some discussion here of creating your own adapter cable:

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I have a 15-50 3 phase plug at work. Is there any adapter I can use to connect my mobile charger for my model 3?

Like @skriefal and @Rocky_H mentioned, this is uncommon but possibly doable. Would just need to see line-to-line voltage to be sure; likely to be 208V if I had to guess, but that's only guess.

If that proofs out, what I'd probably do (and again, I'm NOT an electrician, don't play one on TV ...) is build an adapter from the 15-50 to a 6-50.

Then use a 6-50 adapter for the Tesla charger like this:

So you'd essentially be building your own adapter from these and some 6ga wire:

6-50 is an outdated connector in that it's two hots and no neutral, which is why I'd choose it. It's not suitable for any 120V loads. Technically, you COULD also do this by converting to a 14-50 and leave the neutral pin unwired. IMO (and just IMO) that's asking for trouble -- I'd, personally, rather use the older 6-50 plug where nobody would expect a neutral to be available.

@Rocky_H - curious your thoughts on using the 6-50?

Upvote 0
Wonderful, @skriefal finding that thread on it.

And yes, @dmurphy . That's basically what I was going to get to, but hadn't spelled out the rest of my thought process. Checking voltage between two of those hot pins will probably be something like either 208V or 240V, and either of those will work perfectly fine for the Tesla system as if it were a 6-50. And I do agree that is simpler and safer to just do those three pins to a 6-50 than trying to do this a 14-50, where you will have an empty neutral or more chance of connecting to the wrong thing when building it.

Upvote 0