Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Pin Caravan Mains Adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hairyman

Jul 24, 2019
Australia
I currently have a 3 pin 16 amp outlet for charging my A3 etron. Picture attached.

786C0B93-4EB8-4910-A391-6C710F68EB18.jpeg

I was wondering if it would fit this Tesla adaptor cable European CEE 16A 2P+E Blue Commando (Caravan Mains) Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

Taking the cap off for the photo would help
Sorry. I had that up for the ratings written on the socket. It is definitely a 16A 3 pin caravan plug under there! I was wondering if there was a difference between the Australian and the European specs that would pose a risk. The codes are not quite the same.

Attachments

• E64F59DC-A0D0-47EE-ADA5-EE0FC5B667B1.jpeg
    E64F59DC-A0D0-47EE-ADA5-EE0FC5B667B1.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 150
  • 99C32C36-0C69-48F9-805C-603FE57481D1.jpeg
    99C32C36-0C69-48F9-805C-603FE57481D1.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I currently have a 3 pin 16 amp outlet for charging my A3 etron. Picture attached.

View attachment 447312

I was wondering if it would fit this Tesla adaptor cable European CEE 16A 2P+E Blue Commando (Caravan Mains) Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters
Tesla has an official CEE 16A Blue adapter for the Gen2 UMC that is available in Europe. I would inquire with your local Tesla service center to see if you can order it from them. The one from EVSEadapters linked above will also work, but it's an American company so getting it shipped to you will be expensive.

If your e-Tron has a Type-2 inlet (not J1772) then you can use the same charging equipment with a Tesla in Australia & New Zealand.

Tesla has an official CEE 16A Blue adapter for the Gen2 UMC that is available in Europe. I would inquire with your local Tesla service center to see if you can order it from them.

The Tesla CEE 16A Blue adapter tail for the Gen2 UMC that is available in Europe has made it's way into some Model 3's UMC kits and is causing no end of confusion. It is similar in that it is blue and has 3 pins, but it is smaller in diameter to the adapter from EVSEadaptors in America and therefore will not fit CEE sockets used elsewhere in the world incl Australia.

The one from EVSEadapters linked above will also work, but it's an American company so getting it shipped to you will be expensive.

EVSEadaptors in America have a local agent - after currency conversion pricing is similar, but they offer a discount for TOCA members and depending on location domestic shipping would obviously be a lot quicker.

• Informative
The Tesla CEE 16A Blue adapter tail for the Gen2 UMC that is available in Europe has made it's way into some Model 3's UMC kits and is causing no end of confusion. It is similar in that it is blue and has 3 pins, but it is smaller in diameter to the adapter from EVSEadaptors in America and therefore will not fit CEE sockets used elsewhere in the world incl Australia.

EVSEadaptors in America have a local agent - after currency conversion pricing is similar, but they offer a discount for TOCA members and depending on location domestic shipping would obviously be a lot quicker.
You are quite right. I got the 16A version from a US store to suit the 16A 3 pin socket that my etron was using. I have since bought the 32A version along with 20A and 32A 3 phase adaptor cables from evchargers.com.au and the 32A plug is much bigger. The discounts I have had via TOCA with EVChargers and JetCharge have paid for my membership and I must say my local TOCA crew are a very nice bunch.

Wow. That's unfortunate. What is the standard for the Blue Caravan Mains plug that is used in Australia? I thought that the Tesla official European adapters were following IEC 60309. I thought "CEE Industrial" was colloquially the same as IEC 60309. Obviously 16A and 32A versions are different sizes. I can see how there is no point to using 16A Blue Caravan plug because it is not materially different capability from the 15A AS3112 Australian domestic plug.

IEC 60309 - Wikipedia