Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30 miles/day vampire drain with updates 10.1 and now 12.1 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After downloading the 10.1 operating system last week, and through today even after downloading 12.1, I'm experiencing battery drain of 30+ miles per day. Never had that happen before. Sentry mode not on, climate control off.
I hear a small hum from the frunk area but can't tell the source - obviously some system burning through the volts doing something, but I have no idea. (It's a LR rear wheel drive only, so no front motors to blame.)

Thoughts?

A few things possibly? Do you have any 3rd party apps polling the car? Also, if you have summon and the option to keep it in standby mode enabled (I think that’s what it’s called but could be worded differently) that’ll definitely cause vampire drain.

Sounds like you might still have the wake up bug, keeps the car up and polls it every minute or so. 30 mile drain is excessive. I might see 1 mile if that per day. The newest update 2020.12.1 was suppose to fix that.

Fred

I'll try that - works with every other computer on the planet, I suppose. Will take until tomorrow to see the results.
Rebooted last night - 9 miles down this morning, so vampire drain is proceeding unabated. I have no outside apps on the car, and confirmed that A/C-heat are off and no security running. Running out of ideas.

Hate to call in for service because that would mean driving across town, but can't ignore this kind of drain.

Things to verify:
  • No external apps (stop checking your phone, disconnect 3rd party API sites like TeslaFi etc.)
    • I noticed my car had this happened when I signed up for a 3rd party site. I was able to disable 3rd party access by changing my Tesla account's password which resets all API access.
    • I still use TesalFi as they're really good about putting the car to sleep but some other sites are REALLY bad.
  • Sentry Mode disabled
  • Cabin Overheat Protection disabled
  • Sentry Standby Disabled
Make sure car door is closed as well as anything else that might cause the vehicle to stay "on". Reboot the car one last time to make sure.

After verifying all that and the car is still draining, then I'd call service.

Things to verify:
  • No external apps (stop checking your phone, disconnect 3rd party API sites like TeslaFi etc.)
    • I noticed my car had this happened when I signed up for a 3rd party site. I was able to disable 3rd party access by changing my Tesla account's password which resets all API access.
    • I still use TesalFi as they're really good about putting the car to sleep but some other sites are REALLY bad.
  • Sentry Mode disabled
  • Cabin Overheat Protection disabled
  • Sentry Standby Disabled
Make sure car door is closed as well as anything else that might cause the vehicle to stay "on". Reboot the car one last time to make sure.

After verifying all that and the car is still draining, then I'd call service.
Three more things to add to your list are:

1. Turn off Summon
2. Turn off “Keep Climate on”
3. Turn off Data Sharing

with the ones mentioned above and these 3, I lose zero miles to maybe 1 mile per day.

Note: that Smart Summon became the latest problem.

Fred

SOLUTION FOUND (?): After contacting Tesla service on the app, they simply accessed the vehicle remotely and discovered that the Maps upgrade in 10.1 hadn't loaded properly - "stuck" was the technical phrase, I think. They were able to stop the maps upgrade program and reload it, all in about 45 minutes. Problem solved (knock wood) - I'm going to monitor it overnight to verify, but it looks like the roughly 1 mile/hour drain has already stopped.

Kudos to Tesla service, and to the basic idea of being able to access the car & fix the programming remotely.

• Love
Reactions: Jedi2155
SOLUTION FOUND (?): After contacting Tesla service on the app, they simply accessed the vehicle remotely and discovered that the Maps upgrade in 10.1 hadn't loaded properly - "stuck" was the technical phrase, I think. They were able to stop the maps upgrade program and reload it, all in about 45 minutes. Problem solved (knock wood) - I'm going to monitor it overnight to verify, but it looks like the roughly 1 mile/hour drain has already stopped.

Kudos to Tesla service, and to the basic idea of being able to access the car & fix the programming remotely.
Awesome, glad it was an easy fix.

Fred