Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

-30C / -23F

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems like it would use an awful lot of energy. Will you be driving during the day?

I've left the car out in -25C and lower for several nights without issue. I think you will be fine, I'm sure people have left their cars in lower temps without issue

That seems like it would use an awful lot of energy. Will you be driving during the day?

I've left the car out in -25C and lower for several nights without issue. I think you will be fine, I'm sure people have left their cars in lower temps without issue
I probably average 50km daily.
Yep the cost needs to be considered. Guess this isn’t needed or best practice for long term battery health.

No; keeping the Tesla Model Y in Camp mode will not warm the battery pack. Charge as your normally do and leave the Tesla Model Y plugged in if possible. I would leave Sentry mode off too so the Tesla Model Y will enter sleep mode. The Tesla Model Y will be fine. Additional time will be needed to fully precondition the Tesla Model Y before driving when you return. Allow 30 to 45 minutes for preconditioning. The Tesla Model Y's battery management system will warm the battery while preconditioning.

• Helpful
Reactions: BudYSir and GtiMart
Things may have changed over the past year(s) regarding the following. The manual for my 2018 Model 3 originally stated to not expose the car to temps below -30C/-22F for longer than 24hrs. Nothing was stated about what would happen if you did. No one, to my knowledge, has confirmed if the car will use the traction battery energy to actively keep the battery cells safe if parked for several days below -22F not driven or plugged in. When the car wakes to top off the 12V battery about every 24 to 36 hours, some cell heating would occur but not much. If the car does use the traction battery energy to actively warm the cell temps to keep them from getting below the -22F safe range, it would probably deplete the energy stored in the traction battery cells fairly quickly. If plugged in, the power source required at temps -22F and below would probably need to be 3KW or greater (just a quess).

You could park in a heated garage. There are 3rd party apps that could precondition the Tesla Model Y according to a schedule. Preconditioning will warm the battery. While parked the Tesla Model Y will not warm the battery.

As others have stated, camp mode will not warm the battery.

The best option is to keep the car plugged in and scheduled to charge daily. Then it will heat the battery as needed. And use scheduled departure for when you are going to leave for a drive.

No; keeping the Tesla Model Y in Camp mode will not warm the battery pack. Charge as your normally do and leave the Tesla Model Y plugged in if possible. I would leave Sentry mode off too so the Tesla Model Y will enter sleep mode. The Tesla Model Y will be fine. Additional time will be needed to fully precondition the Tesla Model Y before driving when you return. Allow 30 to 45 minutes for preconditioning. The Tesla Model Y's battery management system will warm the battery while preconditioning.
What about the door handles? Will they freeze? Will precondition/climate control unfreeze them? (We are going to a snow resort after the new year. First time to leave the car outside in the snow). Thanks!

What about the door handles? Will they freeze? Will precondition/climate control unfreeze them? (We are going to a snow resort after the new year. First time to leave the car outside in the snow). Thanks!
The door handles can freeze. Tesla has introduced a new feature that will unlock, open the door latch mechanism without having to open the door handle using the Tesla app.

The windows can freeze to the door frame and also to the door where the window lowers into the door. A car cover might be best.

Tesla combats frozen door handles with clever new in-app feature

If you have the new phone app feature, that opens the front doors, you could in theory open the doors even if the door handles were frozen in position; however, if the window/door frames are frozen shut the new phone app feature will not solve that problem. I believe you can unlock the car via the app using bluetooth even when either the car or phone has no cell data access. Can anyone confirm the new unlatch feature also works over bluetooth? I would verify this myself but my current version of FSD Beta firmware does not have the new open door feature.

These cars are not fragile like glass. Parking them outside doesn't mean you won't be able to get in. The window "drop" is *strong* when you press the handle. Yes, it's possible to get stuck with a lot of ice, but that's inherent with any car, and we can precondition the cabin on these cars pretty easily.

Precondition for 15min, and watch the windows melt and warm air will come out of the door handles/charge port as well.

Literally nothing special needs to be done to ensure the health of the car. Remember, batteries like being stored cold, they just don't perform or charge well in that state. It's not unhealthy for the battery to be cold, unless it's ridiculously cold, but the car will maintain the battery above a certain temp to protect itself. Being plugged in here is ideal.