Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

330 Wh/mile av. over 20K miles. Isn’t it high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is another possible issue...if you generally have shorter commutes in cold weather, that is even worse. For example...lets just toss some numbers in here...if that current trip of 11 miles was all at 60mph, and you had the heat on and lets say it averaged 5kW for the 11 mile commute. The PTC heater max draw is about 7kW, so that is about 83Wh/mile just in heater usage. If I use max draw for 4 minutes and then step it down to a 1kW holding draw, it end up being about 65Wh/mile for the heater.

At 23F I doubt the holding draw for the heat(even at HVAC set point of 68F) would be 1kW, more like 1.5-2kW which would put you to 71Wh/mile. I also don't think that it would start stepping down within 4 minutes with a cold soaked car at 23F.

I think it is a heater usage issue...with the limited information. Seat heaters are negligible, max 50-100watts(1.6 Wh per minute)
I think I got the idea. To be fair, energy consumption page in my car does show higher numbers for climate. I don’t know, how accurate the nominal values are, but usually I get 30-50% of energy used more than nominal (I’m talking about teslas built in energy consumption page, where you can see how much energy being used by various aspects like climate, driving, preconditioning, etc.)

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I think I got the idea. To be fair, energy consumption page in my car does show higher numbers for climate. I don’t know, how accurate the nominal values are, but usually I get 30-50% of energy used more than nominal (I’m talking about teslas built in energy consumption page, where you can see how much energy being used by various aspects like climate, driving, preconditioning, etc.)
Preconditioning the battery for Supercharging uses a TREMENDOUS amount of energy. Do you supercharge often?

Here are two charts taken from my 2022 Model 3 Performance within the same hour. In the first chart I was driving to the Supercharger near the track and in the second chart I was heating the battery while waiting in line to drag race at the track. The line was exceptionally slow that day.

D7AC50D3-3CF0-4675-A53D-006931B95D03.jpeg

C84FC9D5-56AD-4FDD-B460-92DE00C78820.jpeg

If you live in a cold climate the. Being able to garage your car and plug in all the time is critical for maintaining a great efficiency.

I think if you precondition while plugged in that energy won’t factor into your efficiency results. That is key to getting the numbers reported in these charts to look so low.

Preconditioning the battery for Supercharging uses a TREMENDOUS amount of energy. Do you supercharge often?

Here are two charts taken from my 2022 Model 3 Performance within the same hour. In the first chart I was driving to the Supercharger near the track and in the second chart I was heating the battery while waiting in line to drag race at the track. The line was exceptionally slow that day.

View attachment 910709
View attachment 910708

If you live in a cold climate the. Being able to garage your car and plug in all the time is critical for maintaining a great efficiency.

I think if you precondition while plugged in that energy won’t factor into your efficiency results. That is key to getting the numbers reported in these charts to look so low.
Since I live in Russia, we don’t have superchargers here. And by preconditioning I meant turning on the climate after work. The car, however, is kept in warm garage and on the WallConnector over night

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Ow, that’s helpful, thanks!
Btw, do you have RWD or LR/Performance model?
LR with acc boost, along with stock 18” mxm tires. Driving is about a 50/50 mix of city and highway (77 mph typically) and I removed those ugly aero covers. Regardless of outside temp I keep the “fan“ setting at 1 or 2.
Personally I’m quite pleased with my performance but I’m sure the mostly moderate climate and my personal climate mgmt makes a big difference in consumption.

Reactions: Dzhama Omarov