Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 degree camera for parking ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Land Rover is doing it. Basically records the terrain as it goes and then uses that to show what’s under the car even though it’s now out fo the cameras view

But as pointed out the last time someone brought this up- they have low-mounted cameras specifically to do so (in the front grill I think on the Land Rover)

Tesla does not have any forward looking cameras that can see below the hood- so I can see quite a few parking situations where that type of stitching might not work so well.

But as pointed out the last time someone brought this up- they have low-mounted cameras specifically to do so (in the front grill I think on the Land Rover)

Tesla does not have any forward looking cameras that can see below the hood- so I can see quite a few parking situations where that type of stitching might not work so well.
The argument was cameras can’t show you what they can’t see, which I proved has been solved.

not about where cameras are on Tesla’s

The heads up display I REALLY miss, and seems to be a huge miss not having in such a tech forward car. At some point I feel they will have one.

Same here... HUD with the speed limit sign info will be missed. I’m sure I’ll get used to the glance over for speed/NAV, but it’s better to have in the periphery vs having to take your eyes off the road.

The top view camera is nice, specially when you’re pulling into a tight spot, but with the PDC/ultrasonic sensors, one can manage.

Same here... HUD with the speed limit sign info will be missed. I’m sure I’ll get used to the glance over for speed/NAV, but it’s better to have in the periphery vs having to take your eyes off the road....
Musk is pretty anti HUD. Another idea would be to make the rear view mirror a display and using backup camera (lot already offer this but make it larger) and B-pilliar cameras. This would eliminate the blind view we have and could give a panoramic view of side blindspots, kinda like the side mirrors added in. Could even add Speed/Limit/heading/etc in the left side.

Last edited:
The argument was cameras can’t show you what they can’t see, which I proved has been solved.

No, you haven't.

Because cameras mounted at the top of the windshield can not see things cameras mounted on the front grill can- especially low things close to the car.

If you're making a tight turn into a spot for example the high-mount Tesla cameras can't see the ground in front of the car for some distance at all because they can't see through the hood. A grille-mounted camera like in the Land Rover can.

No, you haven't.

Because cameras mounted at the top of the windshield can not see things cameras mounted on the front grill can- especially low things close to the car.

If you're making a tight turn into a spot for example the high-mount Tesla cameras can't see the ground in front of the car for some distance at all because they can't see through the hood. A grille-mounted camera like in the Land Rover can.
That wasn’t the argument

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
That wasn’t the argument

Uh, yes, it was.

Here's the original post again since you appear to have lost the thread-(I removed the OPs tag so he's not bothered by the reply)

the original post in the thread said:
Does the Tesla 3 offer view of front of car to prevent hitting curbs, like the Intelligent Around View Monitor from Nissan or Birds Eye View Monitor from Toyota?

Dan

Tesla doesn't offer that- and can't offer that- because for example the front cameras are mounted at the top of the windshield and so physically can't see below the hood line.

The cars he mentions offer that by mounting cameras low by the bumpers that can see all around the bumpers and wheels of the car. Tesla doesn't have that.

LR "cheats" a bit by having a low-but-not-that-low camera that "remembers" the bit it just drove over but can still easily see the ground right in front of the bumper, just not under it- this is certainly better than nothing (but won't help you when pulling out of a spot if something is under your car that wasn't there when you parked, so I don't love their solution her)

So as I say- If taking a tight turn into a spot the car, unlike a land rover with a much lower mounted grill camera will never see the stuff right in front of the bumper below the hood- so such a view is impossible to offer even using the shifting/view stitching trick LR uses.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Tesla doesn't offer that- and can't offer that- because for example the front cameras are mounted at the top of the windshield and so physically can't see below the hood line.

Tesla can record what windshield camera *was* seeing some time before. This is the same idea as described above for Land Rover. It can then use this info to build proper projection of what is right in front of the car.

And if we think about it... Tesla has a lot of sensor data, in addition to video. It can reconstruct the whole thing in 3D.

What I would task engineers to do is to build not “from the top 360”, but rather a side view magnifying car’s front bumper and obstacle in front of it, ideally displaying if bumper is above the obstacle or not. That would allow parking at a whole new level. I assume sensors have enough resolution and sensitivity to achieve that.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
Tesla can record what windshield camera *was* seeing some time before. This is the same idea as described above for Land Rover. It can then use this info to build proper projection of what is right in front of the car.

Except as I noted- the Tesla cameras are mounted much higher than the Land Rover ones.

They're physically incapable of doing what you ask. When making a tight turn into a spot there will be an area below the bumper the cameras can not and never have seen.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
Except as I noted- the Tesla cameras are mounted much higher than the Land Rover ones.

They're physically incapable of doing what you ask. When making a tight turn into a spot there will be an area below the bumper the cameras can not and never have seen.

I agree - the cameras can't see what they can't see.. that said, if this tweet came true, it would sure help: Elon Musk on Twitter

I don't need a full 360, but being able to see the side of the vehicle would be quite nice for parking situations. Truthfully, this would be enough to remove my better half's objections. One more of the 3 key features she misses from her Buick:

- 360 camera (this would be Good Enough)
- Heated steering wheel (no complaints this winter, surprisingly. Cabin heating in Model 3 is excellent with airflow over the wheel. All "I miss that" statements were pre-purchase.)
- In-mirror blind spot alerts - I agree with this ... no software will add the LED light to the side view mirrors. Turning the display red doesn't do a damn thing for me when I'm craning my neck.

While the cameras can't see it is NOW doing a "virtual" memory display of a cone I own. Noticed this (new) since 40.50.1. As I pull up it still shows the cone even though it is out of sight.

IMG_2970.jpeg

Reactions: SergeyUser
Loved it and used all the time in my xtrail

I would like it to avoid curbing my rims. I rushed a parking job since I had coworkers and was reversing to the parallel park. A nice painted green curb no less.

Everyone is different and use the various features and functions more or less than others. You may find 360 camera not useful, others might find summons to be similar. Some can't live without a 3.2 seconds 0-60, others somehow get by with 5 seconds.

I am curious how Tesla decides which features to work on.