Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

360 degree camera for parking ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Tesla 3 offer view of front of car to prevent hitting curbs, like the Intelligent Around View Monitor from Nissan or Birds Eye View Monitor from Toyota?

Dan

No it doesnt have those. Thats one of those features that is really nice when you get used to it. I had surround cameras on my 435, and my wife has them on her X3M40. Those and the heads up display are the things I miss the most. I got used to not having the surround cameras (again dont / didnt need them just was nice to have, especially since my 435 was an M sport model and would sometimes scrape cement blocks if I wasnt careful).

The heads up display I REALLY miss, and seems to be a huge miss not having in such a tech forward car. At some point I feel they will have one.

Nope. Jeeez how bad can a person be at parking to need all of that. Lol

Love the back up camera though.
Jeeez how bad can a person be at farting that they need a fart app for that?:eek::D:D

Also rewind to 1995 and...Jeeez how bad can a person be at parking that they need a backup camera?;)

Better to have it and not NEED it than want and not have. After all it has all the hardware and even inexpensive cars from Chevy (including the Bolt) have it. It is just simple software in Tesla's case.

With all the cameras on the Model 3 it is not that hard for Tesla to create a birds eye view. Come on Tesla. It’s not so much to ask.

Yes, it is a lot to ask, since it's physically impossible based on where the cameras actually are and where they are aimed on Teslas.

Cars with the overhead 360 view have fisheye cameras in the lower bumpers/fenders pointing downward.... not at the top of the windshield, fenders, or b pillars pointing outward at other cars/road ahead.

Just take a moment to think about where the front cameras are for example. It can't show you a picture of things it can't see.

Reactions: Big Earl
true... but if they let us use the live view on the side cameras (the ones used for teslacam), I’ll bet there’d be a whole lot less people posting about curb rashes...

I have the settings for the mirrors tilting down when in reverse, but it’d still be cool if they let us have live views on the cameras

Does the Tesla 3 offer view of front of car to prevent hitting curbs, like the Intelligent Around View Monitor from Nissan or Birds Eye View Monitor from Toyota?

It does have ~360 degree ultrasound, however. It shows a nice little diagram of where obstacles are and shows the number of inches* to the obstacle.

* I assume it will show distances using other units if that is your choice.

Related but rhetorical and extremely speculative question.

Will we see (and does HW3 support) real time actual 360º video in the driving screen instead of animation (of course the Tesla would still be an animation)? This would certainly get rid of the dancing cars.:D

IMG_0925.jpeg