Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$37500 Chevy Bolt EPA range

37500 Bolt EPA range will be

• less than 160 miles

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • less than 180 miles

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • 200 miles or more

Votes: 48 67.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, really this poll is asking:

Is GM misrepresenting what they plan to deliver in an extremely specific and easily verifiable way? Y/N.

I picked N, because...

...GM isn't Tesla.

as a Nissan Leaf owner and EV enthusiast I wish GM all the best in producing a successful Bolt. however I never cease to be amazed by the short memory and/or gullibility of some people. it's been less than a year since GM's latest scandal:

GM Recall Cover-Up Made Our List of 5 Worst Auto Industry Cover-Ups Ever

and that's only their latest. GM has a long history of cover-ups and mis-representation. I'd be interested in driving a Bolt if it matched GM's promises, but I'm certainly not holding my breathe.

Here's my guess...

Battery capacity: 60 kWh (55 kWh usable)
EPA range: 210 miles
0-60 mph: 6.8 seconds
Base price: $35,875 + $875 destination charge, DCFC optional for $750 (before incentives or gas savings)

Nicely done. Battery is 60 kWh, 0-60 is 6.8-6.9s. Actual price will be $37,500 including destination, and DCFC is optional. Still waiting on EPA range.

Nicely done. Battery is 60 kWh, 0-60 is 6.8-6.9s. Actual price will be $37,500 including destination, and DCFC is optional. Still waiting on EPA range.
The 0-60 was already known to be under 7 seconds and price $37.5k including destination before he posted that. The only new thing we found out today was the battery at 60kWh.

The 0-60 was already known to be under 7 seconds and price $37.5k including destination before he posted that. The only new thing we found out today was the battery at 60kWh.

But the price wasn't actually confirmed until today (it was still "around $37.5k", and he was a bit high on that, but okay), and we didn't know if DCFC was going to be standard or optional.

And the 60 kWh surprised a lot of people who were expecting it to be lower. I still call that a good set of predictions.

But the price wasn't actually confirmed until today (it was still "around $37.5k", and he was a bit high on that, but okay), and we didn't know if DCFC was going to be standard or optional.

And the 60 kWh surprised a lot of people who were expecting it to be lower. I still call that a good set of predictions.

Why the hell is DCFC optional? I wonder if it's something that can be software unlocked later, like the S60s of old.

This puts the "base" Bolt EV capable of L3 up to $38,250 before incentives and the "base" Model 3 is supposed to be $35,000 capable of L3 before incentives. Which one is priced for the masses, now?

And what are the odds GM gives the Bolt EV buyers a level 2 charger for no extra cost, like Tesla does?

And the motor power, 150 kW, and all of the interior and exterior dimensional specs, curb weight, battery made in Korea,....
I'm talking about out of his list of predictions.

The price was listed on the Bolt website before he posted. In fact I believe it was you who gave this link:
http://www.chevrolet.com/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

Here's an article from the January 7th talking about the official price.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-chevrolet-bolt-priced-at-37500-before-tax-incentives/

Some more data points: rumor has it that Bolt will have comparable Cd and frontal area to Leaf (actually ~5% higher). Given that Leaf is lighter by 10%, has 90kW motor and it can go 107 miles on 30kWh battery, Bolt may just scrape it past 200 miles with 60kWh battery if it's tuned to be efficient at low speeds.

In other words, good bye 200mile range when you want >11s 0-60 acceleration, however it's more likely now that I was wrong about the EPA range.

Last edited:
Based on the Cd, frontal area, weight, battery capacity and guessing at a motor+inverter efficiency (88% combined?), I calculated almost exactly 200 miles range at a steady level 65mph, at 68F. Climate control, radio, lights, etc. will eat into that.

No idea how that translates to EPA range though.

Some more data points: rumor has it that Bolt will have comparable Cd and frontal area to Leaf (actually ~5% higher). Given that Leaf is lighter by 10%, has 90kW motor and it can go 107 miles on 30kWh battery, Bolt may just scrape it past 200 miles with 60kWh battery if it's tuned to be efficient at low speeds.

Be careful with claimed Cd numbers. They're about as useful as claimed 0-60 times.