Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$37500 Chevy Bolt EPA range

37500 Bolt EPA range will be

• less than 160 miles

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • less than 180 miles

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • 200 miles or more

Votes: 48 67.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitold

Aug 10, 2015
NM
Just looking at the shape (hatchback), weight (3500lbs) and estimated battery capacity ~55kW I just don't see that range (>200 miles) and price (37500) will go together.. In your opinion, how much EPA range will $37500 Chevy Bolt have? I think it'll be fun to see at the end of 2016 who was right :biggrin:

I think $35700 Bolt will have range of 160 miles.

There's EPA range and real-world range.
- The MS 60 had a 209 mile range and it's _much_ heavier.
- Overall range is 55% city 45% highway
- Highway testing is at relatively low speed, except for one part of a test, which also includes acceleration from low speed to 80mph.

If GM is saying at least 200, it'll be at least 200.

Real world highway range is a different matter.

I think it will be 200 EPA (or slightly above). Even if it has to be exactly on the dot, I think GM will do that. The goal was clearly 200 so I think they will do everything to do that. I don't think GM will go back to the early days where the number was an optimistic non-EPA number (like Leaf at "100 miles" vs 73 EPA and Volt at "40 miles" vs 35 EPA).

The Volt mileage rating used something like 260 Wh/mile. Drop the ICE in exhange for more battery and I don't think 200 miles is out of the question at $38k.

55kWh at even $400 per kWh is only $22k, and it's certainly not that expensive today.

Side note: I hypermiled my 2012 Volt to nearly double the 35 mile rated range (EV mode only) on normal roads with minimal effort. I was doing a commute that was 64 miles each way, and had 240V J1772 available at the destination. 2 out of 5 days of the week I could do it without using the ICE in exhange for maybe 5-10 minutes added commute time. If the Bolt is just as efficient that would be sweet. I've not been able to get similar results with the Model S.

Honestly if the Bolt had access to the supercharger network or one like it... Model 3 would certainly be late to the party. But it's far less useful without fast charging.

Last edited:
It's going to be at least 200 miles EPA. Mary Barra just stood in front of this giant screen:

gm-shows-off-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-with-200-mile-rang_2xba.640.jpg

The Bolt web page says it:

2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet

The claimed range for the 2016 Volt was 50 miles. EPA is 53.

Your poll needs more categories above 200 miles.

Yes, really this poll is asking:

Is GM misrepresenting what they plan to deliver in an extremely specific and easily verifiable way? Y/N.

I picked N, because...

...GM isn't Tesla.

-rimshot-

ducks and runs.

I am so sick of them throwing the "30k" around. It's $37k!

After rebate pricing is BS in ads. Especially when there isn't even an asterisk or anything on GMs signage

They have the asterisk in the actual ads and on their website. She didn't use one during the presentation, because she was there and she could just say it.

[SUP]3 [/SUP]Priced as low as $30,000 after federal tax credit. Net price shown includes the full $7500 tax credit. $37,500 MSRP including DFC with tax credit from $0 up to $7500. * Tax, title, license, dealer fees extra. Actual savings from the federal government depend on your tax situation. Consult your tax professional for details.

And I won't even mention Tesla's infamous "$59,500 after incentives and gas savings (but not including destination and documentation - that's extra)." :)

There's EPA range and real-world range.
- The MS 60 had a 209 mile range and it's _much_ heavier.
- Overall range is 55% city 45% highway
- Highway testing is at relatively low speed, except for one part of a test, which also includes acceleration from low speed to 80mph.

If GM is saying at least 200, it'll be at least 200.

Real world highway range is a different matter.

The Bolt looks like it has potato aerodynamics compared to the S60. I bet they do the same trick as the i3 and have skinny tires to get higher range.

Additionally, EPA ratings don't come out until it's a production car, right?

It uses the same tires as the Gen 2 Volt. 215/50R17 Michelin Energy Saver.

The official EPA ratings won't be out until much later this year, possibly just before deliveries start. But GM does the testing and submits results to EPA, so they'll have unofficial EPA ratings before then.

Does anyone know where GM is on the expiration of the tax credit? I assume that all previous Volts including the 2017 models to come this Spring will count agaist that number.

So far, the total Volt, ELR, and Spark EV numbers as of 12/31/2015 is 95,077

They're almost halfway there before the reduction.

This is compared to the Roadster, Model S, and Model X numbers totaling 65,414