Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M IR Tint vs LLumar IRX Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m running my AC 4° warmer now with tint and temperatures are much more consistent. Great buy. 5/5 stars.
I have a question…. due to the nature of the vehicle obviously when you close a door the window slightly rolls down and then back up. I noticed the corners of my tint are all fudged probably because it’s inevitable I open my doors even without. Rolling the wi does down. We have two kids , bah. Nothing I can do I guess

I have a question…. due to the nature of the vehicle obviously when you close a door the window slightly rolls down and then back up. I noticed the corners of my tint are all fudged probably because it’s inevitable I open my doors even without. Rolling the wi does down. We have two kids , bah. Nothing I can do I guess
I hope I don’t see that. If I do, I’ll take it back. Probably related to it not curing before leaving the shop. The guy who did the work put some lamp on the doors to let them cure just for this reason before letting the car go back to my hands. I had work done yesterday and opened the doors a dozen times today and it still looks good from what I can see.

Llumar IRX: 15% front, 30% back and rear, 80% windshield, 50% roof
20211015_152644b.jpg

I hope I don’t see that. If I do, I’ll take it back. Probably related to it not curing before leaving the shop. The guy who did the work put some lamp on the doors to let them cure just for this reason before letting the car go back to my hands. I had work done yesterday and opened the doors a dozen times today and it still looks good from what I can see.
Now you should feel better considering I paid marginally more and got apparently 10x worse service 😂😂🤌🏻🤌🏻

I have a question for you and everyone else on this thread who may have gotten their windshield tinted.

I am going to post photos tomorrow in the daylight but guys, I’m furious. And before I act preemptively I’ll ask you guys.

My windshield tint has like 3 large gaps from a poor cut as well as one squeegee “mark” that will never go away and some bubbles that may actually go away. One part of the tint near the rear view mirror the dude literally used some sort of “sharpie” to color in where he did a poor job cutting.

What irks me is the poor quality of the cut. After I found several things wrong with the windshield I called the shop politely and asked why there’s sharpie on my Windshield and the gaps from a poor cut the guy went off on me. I asked for that portion of my money back (I spent 1,000 on this tint) and the guy lost it.

First off I actually saw the guys schedule. He had a model 3 and a model S to tint that same week. He claims he does a lot of them. He also said this particular car is a pain to tint. Not only did he not offer my my money back but he said even if I asked him to re do it he would say he doesn’t want to because it’s apparently soooo hard to tint a Tesla. So can you guys confirm this? If I’m overreacting I’ll show you the photos. My other truck has a tinted windshield and it’s perfect. I Told him this also and he said “oh different car different car the Tesla is a PITA”.

👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

I have a question for you and everyone else on this thread who may have gotten their windshield tinted.

I am going to post photos tomorrow in the daylight but guys, I’m furious. And before I act preemptively I’ll ask you guys.

My windshield tint has like 3 large gaps from a poor cut as well as one squeegee “mark” that will never go away and some bubbles that may actually go away. One part of the tint near the rear view mirror the dude literally used some sort of “sharpie” to color in where he did a poor job cutting.

What irks me is the poor quality of the cut. After I found several things wrong with the windshield I called the shop politely and asked why there’s sharpie on my Windshield and the gaps from a poor cut the guy went off on me. I asked for that portion of my money back (I spent 1,000 on this tint) and the guy lost it.

First off I actually saw the guys schedule. He had a model 3 and a model S to tint that same week. He claims he does a lot of them. He also said this particular car is a pain to tint. Not only did he not offer my my money back but he said even if I asked him to re do it he would say he doesn’t want to because it’s apparently soooo hard to tint a Tesla. So can you guys confirm this? If I’m overreacting I’ll show you the photos. My other truck has a tinted windshield and it’s perfect. I Told him this also and he said “oh different car different car the Tesla is a PITA”.

👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻
That sucks! I have a very tiny bubble and tiny piece of debris in the tint. Not noticeable while driving—only while washing the car from the exterior. I’m so sorry to hear about this. :(

Reactions: jebinc
That sucks! I have a very tiny bubble and tiny piece of debris in while washing the car from the exterior. I’m so sorry to hear about this. :(I
I’ll post photos tomorrow. I’d like you guys to see. The funny thing is , I tinted my other truck in some dudes garage in the hood. And he did a terrific job. Here I pay pay top dollar for the Tesla and get crap job and service. Amazing. I’m out $1000

It was a place in Jersey. As much as I want to blow them up I don’t know. I’m at work but as soon as I’m home I’ll post photos.
It was a place in Jersey. As much as I want to blow them up I don’t know. I’m at work but as soon as I’m home I’ll post photos.
S
You would be doing a disservice by not mentioning the place you got your tints done. What if another member went there and got another bad experience? Your post will help other members in this forum!

Tech, who has 30 years in the business and is rated the top llumar tech in the west, states tinting the roof just isn’t worth it and won’t do it. Given it already comes with IR heat rejection properties, you won’t get much from tint.

It took 2 months to get in with this guy. In part because I rescheduled my first appointment that was 6 weeks out initially to the next available.

I'm taking delivery soon, where did you go to get the Formula 1 Stratos?

Where did you get them done?
It was a place in Jersey. As much as I want to blow them up I don’t know.
Small claims court?
Here’s the photos. It’s hard to get the phone to see it perfectly but I did my best job. My question is to you guys is this normal or acceptable? He also mentioned some kind of special sharpie meant for tinting? Never heard of the but he’s got some balls if that’s a lie because he stood by that.

The one with my hand over it is kind of hard to see but that’s the squeeze mark where he bent the film. It’s never going away.

Attachments

• FB412752-527E-4096-ACF4-C70A52BFD22A.jpeg
    FB412752-527E-4096-ACF4-C70A52BFD22A.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 1B2F30CE-EB01-4936-B82F-E724790C5D10.jpeg
    1B2F30CE-EB01-4936-B82F-E724790C5D10.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 281
  • C8C01372-8570-4514-A21D-34F7B8EBFAD6.jpeg
    C8C01372-8570-4514-A21D-34F7B8EBFAD6.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Disagree
Reactions: 101dals
It was a place in Jersey. As much as I want to blow them up I don’t know.

Here’s the photos. It’s hard to get the phone to see it perfectly but I did my best job. My question is to you guys is this normal or acceptable? He also mentioned some kind of special sharpie meant for tinting? Never heard of the but he’s got some balls if that’s a lie because he stood by that.

The one with my hand over it is kind of hard to see but that’s the squeeze mark where he bent the film. It’s never going away.
That’s looks like Stevie wonder tinted your car. Some amateur work! I would go back and demand a refund and run and go elsewhere!

That’s looks like Stevie wonder tinted your car. Some amateur work! I would go back and demand a refund and run and go elsewhere!
Ugh. The guy was a “SB” if you know what I mean. I politely called and said hey man listen not to be mean but. XYZ as shown. And he just hit me with anger and excuses. Ughhhh. He told me if I wanted to re do it he’d rather give me my money back …so I said give me that portion back. And heels snorted on the phone and said well we’ll youd have to come here and I’d take off the tint for me to give you the money back. I don’t even want these psychos touching my car.

Ugh. The guy was a “SB” if you know what I mean. I politely called and said hey man listen not to be mean but. XYZ as shown. And he just hit me with anger and excuses. Ughhhh. He told me if I wanted to re do it he’d rather give me my money back …so I said give me that portion back. And heels snorted on the phone and said well we’ll youd have to come here and I’d take off the tint for me to give you the money back. I don’t even want these psychos touching my car.
Get them removed and your money back and make an appointment with Sams tints!

Reactions: Tes-londa
Get them removed and your money back and make an appointment with Sams tints!
Dude the sad thing is I’ve went to cheaper places and got better service. Heck one time I went to a guy at his house off the books and he did an incredible job. This time I said I’m gonna spare no expense and got the worst most expensive tint ever. It’s supposed to be LLumar IRX

You could always remove the front tint yourself, and take the balled up bunch of tint back with you? And you have a product to return to them, without them having to touch the car. And then you can take your money back and go elsewhere.

Reactions: 101dals
Got Formula 1 Stratos tint installed today. 50% on all the clear glass and 40% on the rear glass.

Tech, who has 30 years in the business and is rated the top llumar tech in the west, states tinting the roof just isn’t worth it and won’t do it. Given it already comes with IR heat rejection properties, you won’t get much from tint.

The tint looks outstanding. I went darker on the windshield (50%) vs 70% as I wanted the gray rather than the blue look. I dig it. Driving home in the dark (metropolitan) wasn’t an issue. Maybe more so for super dark, no natural lighting areas. Can’t wait to test it out tomorrow! Will update with photos as well.

It took 2 months to get in with this guy. In part because I rescheduled my first appointment that was 6 weeks out initially to the next available.

Interestingly enough, the car is quieter on the highway with the tint—I think it helps reduce some of the sound bouncing / reflecting properties. I bet a sunshade would help that even more so.
I wondered if the sound would be improved with tint. The rear passenger and trunk glass are SO thin, then 50% of the interior being glass does create an echo effect. Especially when talking on the phone.