Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M/Opticoated MS: suggestions for washing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey need some help. I opticoated the car, optiglassed the windows. I'm located in Montreal and it's winter so the red MS looks greyish at the end of any highway drive. Do you have suggestions for washing the car?

Method/products/etc? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to car aesthetics.

The MS is the first luxury vehicle I really take care of... I want to do it right. :)

Many people here recommend Optimum No Rinse. I bought their No Rinse and Wax from Amazon and just used it for the first time yesterday. Worked great, although I wasn't dealing with the sort of grime you get from snow and slush.

I ran mine through a touchless wash first to get the heavy stuff off and wash the undercarriage, then hand washed using the two bucket method and the ONR product.

I also bought grit guards for my buckets and a couple of nice wash mitts, and microfiber dry cloths from the Chemical Guys on Amazon.

Heres a few tips from a non professional:

1. Use a foam gun to soak your car in soap and have it clean off most of the grime without the need for wiping.

2. Use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax (ONR) in a spray bottle. Doing one panel at a time, spray the panel, wait a minute or so for the chemicals to do their work, and very gently wipe off (i suggest watching a youtube video on this method. Doing it wrong can cause scratches).

The important thing is to use as little contact as required. Let the soap/chemicals do most of the work.

Products:
Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax
McGuires Gold Class soap
Microfiber towells (washing)
Micro fiber waffle weave towell (drying)

Also, a lot of scratching can come from drying. Dont use an old towell or t-shirt to dry. Dont "scrub" the car dry with the towell.