Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Party Tire Rotation Tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Costco has that chart on the wall as well, and the techs are using the impacts to loosen and tighten the lug bolts/nuts right under that chart. :cool:
I see nothing wrong with using an impact to loosen... I even use one to put the lugs on (lightly), but finish up with a torque wrench.

That said, I stopped trusting shops after a near catastrophe. I had a shop put 4 new tires on right before a road trip. I was driving around to pick up some last minute things and heard a humming noise. At the time I didnt know much about cars so I took it back to the shop. Turns out NONE of the wheels had been torqued down. Again, I was ignorant so I just said, "Ok" and they torqued them down. Knowing what I know now, I would have been livid!

I just do my own stuff now, but I like doing it so its not "work" for me.

I see nothing wrong with using an impact to loosen... I even use one to put the lugs on (lightly), but finish up with a torque wrench.

That said, I stopped trusting shops after a near catastrophe. I had a shop put 4 new tires on right before a road trip. I was driving around to pick up some last minute things and heard a humming noise. At the time I didnt know much about cars so I took it back to the shop. Turns out NONE of the wheels had been torqued down. Again, I was ignorant so I just said, "Ok" and they torqued them down. Knowing what I know now, I would have been livid!

I just do my own stuff now, but I like doing it so its not "work" for me.
100% agree on loosening with an impact!!

Update: Local tire shop quoted $30 to rotate my tires over the phone. When I took it in this morning they didn’t charge me. I asked about proper torquing of the wheels and they said they hand tighten at the end per each manufacturer’s spec.

Update: Local tire shop quoted $30 to rotate my tires over the phone. When I took it in this morning they didn’t charge me. I asked about proper torquing of the wheels and they said they hand tighten at the end per each manufacturer’s spec.
that's a cool shop. give them business next time you need something.

I had a Midas shop do a free weld for me decades ago. I was going to pay but the guy said he didn't feel right charging me for the job.

I was just a kid, but that was my go-to shop from then on.

Reactions: Everlast