Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd row seats folded down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the topic of 3rd row folded down, my new (recall-approved) seatbacks expose the conduit and material from the rear when folded down and the cargo tray is not at the "flush" level. Is this what others see? In this photo, my cargo tray is at the "low" level.

View attachment 177315
Mark, is that taken from the rear. Could you fold down both 3rd seats and take a picture from the rear hatch looking in.

Here you go. With and without the false floor in place. Happy to meet and show you in person if you'd like.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here you go. With and without the false floor in place. Happy to meet and show you in person if you'd like.

View attachment 177382 View attachment 177383
No problem, I'm thinking of going with the 6 seat configuration and wondering why you could see the cables. Now I understand that was without the floor installed. It still seems like they would finish off the bottom part that shows when the floor is removed. I might take you up on the in person part, since we have never actually been able to sit back there.
Thanks,
Merrill

Reactions: madodel
DS has it as default if order 75D, but never see it in person :-( waiting and wanting to have 90D with most basic coil suspension (aired so expensive to repair or replace like the Benz), 5 sets.
I understand that but Tesla has not yet delivered ANY 5 seaters. Nor have they delivered any coil suspended versions. You can read the uproar on the coil suspension only being available for the 5 seat 75D's in another thread.

View attachment 177382 View attachment 177383
I can now see the difference from the pictures I saw earlier. I think the carpet on yours wraps down the back more than earlier versions. Hopefully that keeps the backing from folding up.

Last edited:
I can now see the difference from the pictures I saw earlier. I think the carpet on yours wraps down the back more than earlier versions. Hopefully that keeps the backing from folding up.

I feel like they should continue the carpet, and possibly have a loose-fitting piece go from the seat back to the heel of the platform they sit on. It would cover the conduit, stickers, seat material, etc. Seems completely unfinished as it is.

Reactions: M0DEL³
I feel like they should continue the carpet, and possibly have a loose-fitting piece go from the seat back to the heel of the platform they sit on. It would cover the conduit, stickers, seat material, etc. Seems completely unfinished as it is.
I don't disagree. There are definitely some head scratcher finishing touches that Tesla does that other car manufacturers have clearly figured out a LONG time ago.

OHMMAN - Well I'll be danged. Until I read your post, I didn't know the cargo tray had a lower position! Just went out to the garage check it out. I've just used it tilted up and in the flush position. But, now the seat hardware is exposed in the lower position and I'm not a fan of the finish in that area.

In fact, I think the cable with the tag hanging off of it is tacky, and some better treatment of the "revealed" area (in your photo, tray in lower position) would be expected. The exposed rusty-looking metal parts are unattractive as well.

I wouldn't have third-row seats except I've got a Sig.

Also, do any of you regret in any way getting the "upgraded" third row seats? Some have complained about the build quality. My replacement is scheduled in early June - beginning to have doubts now.

Until I read your post, I didn't know the cargo tray had a lower position! Just went out to the garage check it out. I've just used it tilted up and in the flush position. But, now the seat hardware is exposed in the lower position and I'm not a fan of the finish in that area.
That lower location is my preferred location for carrying things with the seats folded. It creates a nice depression so that whatever I'm carrying doesn't come flying up to the front seat. Having the seat material exposed negates that somewhat. Yesterday I picked up a bunch of plants from the garden store. Putting them on the flat configuration would have meant having them tip and spill. Putting them in the depressed configuration was better, but I risked having one tip over and dump soil into my Ultra White seats. It's unfinished.
Also, do any of you regret in any way getting the "upgraded" third row seats? Some have complained about the build quality. My replacement is scheduled in early June - beginning to have doubts now.
I haven't noticed any difference. In fact, one of the head rests in my previous seat back had a weird bulge from the stitching. The replacements are much more evenly made.

That lower location is my preferred location for carrying things with the seats folded. It creates a nice depression so that whatever I'm carrying doesn't come flying up to the front seat. Having the seat material exposed negates that somewhat. Yesterday I picked up a bunch of plants from the garden store. Putting them on the flat configuration would have meant having them tip and spill. Putting them in the depressed configuration was better, but I risked having one tip over and dump soil into my Ultra White seats. It's unfinished.

I haven't noticed any difference. In fact, one of the head rests in my previous seat back had a weird bulge from the stitching. The replacements are much more evenly made.

I usually tilt the cargo tray up and use the full depth for carrying groceries and plants. It makes a nice shield to keep things in place. Of course, the crgo is piled on top of the accessories I keep there (tire pump, mobile charger, 30' extension), but that's not much of an issue.

Agree totally that the seat bottoms are unfinished.

Thanks again for the tip.