Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4/18 Invites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, if you mean they predetermined they were going to send some number of truckloads of Model 3 to Canada and needed to make sure every car on it had a buyer.

Otherwise, there are people within 30m of the Fremont factory whose configurations are on the way to Canada for people who configured last week.
I think it has to deal with the overall cost of shipping. The larger amount of cars they ship by rail the better rate they get, in addition to customs paperwork and what not. I just guess but I assume that is why a large shipment is headed that way.

Agreed! I actually sold my car thinking I'm almost there. Now I'm in borrowed time and vehicle.
I had my car sold to a dealership, and I was going to turn it in this weekend. I figured I would have a VIN by now. I was going to drive my classic car for a week or two, but I am glad I didn't sell. I am going to wait until I get a VIN to organize my loan and potentially sell my car. I am going to hold off hoping my car doesn't lose much more value waiting since I already have some negative equity in it.

We're still not even at 3 weeks so far. There is no indication that we all won't have are cars in the next 3 weeks and 3 days. Everything else is pure baseless speculation. We have no idea how close/far Tesla is to 200k. We have no idea if they're actually willing to hold off if they are really close. This concept of everything going to Canada for a while is very silly, aren't nearly enough RWD order up there to make more than 1 weeks difference. Maybe they'll start shipping overseas or to Mexico, but I think we would have gotten some evidence of that. Until we have reason to suspect otherwise, everyone who was given a 3-6 week delivery window should plan on that window being honored.

We're still not even at 3 weeks so far. There is no indication that we all won't have are cars in the next 3 weeks and 3 days. Everything else is pure baseless speculation. We have no idea how close/far Tesla is to 200k. We have no idea if they're actually willing to hold off if they are really close. This concept of everything going to Canada for a while is very silly, aren't nearly enough RWD order up there to make more than 1 weeks difference. Maybe they'll start shipping overseas or to Mexico, but I think we would have gotten some evidence of that. Until we have reason to suspect otherwise, everyone who was given a 3-6 week delivery window should plan on that window being honored.

This is not completely honest since the 3 to 6 weeks includes delivery not just VIN. There are 23 days until 6 weeks and many states historically exceed that with VIN to delivery according to spreadsheet.

I think it has to deal with the overall cost of shipping. The larger amount of cars they ship by rail the better rate they get, in addition to customs paperwork and what not. I just guess but I assume that is why a large shipment is headed that way.

My guess is that towards the end of Q1 they started sending cars to Canada, thinking that Q2 would be when the 200,000 M3 would be sold. That was assuming that the production rate would be approaching 5,000 per week. That didn't happen so now Tesla will, with two pauses in Q2, slip the 200,000th unit into Q3. Just my guess, but last time I looked at the spreadsheet, Canada shipments were 41 units out of the last 100.

You are likely right but I think cause and effect is reversed.

Cause 1: Tesla has many Canada orders to fulfill
Effect 1: Tesla sends a big batch to Canada

Cause 2: Tesla wants to send a big batch to Canada
Effect 2: Tesla finds orders to fulfill

Since Canada configurations from only a week ago are being fulfilled I am inclined to think #2 is accurate. Tesla purposefully ignored people waiting already past their 3 to 6 weeks so that they can send cars to Canada instead.

You are likely right but I think cause and effect is reversed.

Cause 1: Tesla has many Canada orders to fulfill
Effect 1: Tesla sends a big batch to Canada

Cause 2: Tesla wants to send a big batch to Canada
Effect 2: Tesla finds orders to fulfill

Since Canada configurations from only a week ago are being fulfilled I am inclined to think #2 is accurate. Tesla purposefully ignored people waiting already past their 3 to 6 weeks so that they can send cars to Canada instead.

And for clarity one is what a consumer friendly company would do and other is a shitty thing :)

Reactions: Aellinsar
And for clarity one is what a consumer friendly company would do and other is...

I configured on 4/18 and I have yet to receive my VIN, but I certainly don't mind waiting a few more weeks if Tesla wishes to maximize cost benefit to its customer base as a whole while getting a few more EV's on the road and increasing shareholder return for the long term.

I’ve been debating to change my Midnight Silver to Blue too! But I don’t want a reset.

Please post back if you get a vin.
I just called Tesla and I spoke with a rep. He said that my Configuration date still shows April 19th after I made the change. I asked if by changing my color would reset the clock for me and he said unlikely since I do not have a VIN. He then said maybe a week or two delay if I would have had a VIN already. I will let you know when I get a VIN.

I configured on 4/18 and I have yet to receive my VIN, but I certainly don't mind waiting a few more weeks if Tesla wishes to maximize cost benefit to its customer base as a whole while getting a few more EV's on the road and increasing shareholder return for the long term.

And a publicly worded statement to that effect would go a long way. Taking $2500, then not communicating at all is poor customer service.

Funny, based on what some people have been posting you wouldn't think this was in the Purchase Agreement they supposedly read before configuring and submitting the $2500 payment:

The estimated delivery date of your Vehicle indicated in this Agreement is an estimate only and is not a guarantee of when your Vehicle will actually be delivered.

In a paragraph all its own at the bottom of page 2.
:rolleyes:

I understand that last weeks of waiting seem to be the hardest, as even after two years it is for me, too. I was seriously considering an options delay into July, but once you click that big red button (my 10 year old son enjoyed doing it for me, actually! :D) the fever really sets in! I get it-but I refuse to let delays, impatience, or Tesla shuffling the deck to hit the 200k number in July to take away from something I've waited over two years for since the reveal and almost four years since that first ride in a Model S!

Last edited:
Reactions: MissyMcBee
Gents. I think they will fulfill our orders, they just won’t send any more invites for deliveries this Q. I also suspect the factory retooling from last week may add a week or 2. That’s fine w me as I image that retooling will further improve quality.
Invite 4/13
Configured 4/19

Gents. I think they will fulfill our orders, they just won’t send any more invites for deliveries this Q. I also suspect the factory retooling from last week may add a week or 2. That’s fine w me as I image that retooling will further improve quality.
Invite 4/13
Configured 4/19

Tesla will definitely fulfill any orders they have received this quarter. They have slowed down invites but will probably do one or two more rounds this quarter. I believe they have another planned shutdown before the end of the quarter.