Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Bent Rims - 20" - Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Digging up an old thread here. I recently had a tire go low on me. Its losing about 5PSI every 24 hours. Just got back from the tire shop. They said they couldn't find a leak but my rim is bent. Said it might be coming from that as I drive.

I got home and parked. Noticed a hissing sound from my bent wheel (its raining out so its easy to hear through the water). Tracked it down the the inner bead so it is in fact leaking from the bent rim. Not very happy as I have only 7500 miles. I had this same issue with the 21s on my old Model S.

Seems like Tesla will not replace these under warranty even though they obviously are weak. Ive never had bent rims until owning Teslas.

Will some forged wheels fix this issue? I am willing to make a large 1 time purchase if I never have to deal with bent rims again. Not to mention I can go smaller and lighter to get some of my range back.

Digging up an old thread here. I recently had a tire go low on me. Its losing about 5PSI every 24 hours. Just got back from the tire shop. They said they couldn't find a leak but my rim is bent. Said it might be coming from that as I drive.

I got home and parked. Noticed a hissing sound from my bent wheel (its raining out so its easy to hear through the water). Tracked it down the the inner bead so it is in fact leaking from the bent rim. Not very happy as I have only 7500 miles. I had this same issue with the 21s on my old Model S.

Seems like Tesla will not replace these under warranty even though they obviously are weak. Ive never had bent rims until owning Teslas.

Will some forged wheels fix this issue? I am willing to make a large 1 time purchase if I never have to deal with bent rims again. Not to mention I can go smaller and lighter to get some of my range back.

You may not need to go all the way to forged. The “flow formed” ones (rolled barrel) are said to come close in terms of barrell strength but do not have the really thin spokes (which would look like crap on a Model 3 anyway, i.m.o.).

I’m looking at some BBS options myself, they are said to have a very good strength to weight ratio. They’re not the lightest for the size and are fairly expensive, but they’re said to be rock-solid. If you like the style, TSW makes a few relatively light flow-formed wheels that are far better priced.

Reactions: silentsnow31802
You may not need to go all the way to forged. The “flow formed” ones (rolled barrel) are said to come close in terms of barrell strength but do not have the really thin spokes (which would look like crap on a Model 3 anyway, i.m.o.).

I’m looking at some BBS options myself, they are said to have a very good strength to weight ratio. They’re not the lightest for the size and are fairly expensive, but they’re said to be rock-solid. If you like the style, TSW makes a few relatively light flow-formed wheels that are far better priced.

I agree about the thin spokes. Not a big fan. I will look into what options are out there for flow formed. I am a fan of BBS. Im a fan of 80s cars and BBS was the thing to have back then. Thank you for the info.

I agree about the thin spokes. Not a big fan. I will look into what options are out there for flow formed. I am a fan of BBS. Im a fan of 80s cars and BBS was the thing to have back then. Thank you for the info.

if you’re a kid of the 80s, then the BBS CH-R might be to your taste. They also come with this steel rim protection ring, which you can replace at $60 a pop, should you curb a wheel. Check the BBS USA site for available sizes; for some reason places like the Tire Rack do not list all of them as compatible.

if you’re a kid of the 80s, then the BBS CH-R might be to your taste. They also come with this steel rim protection ring, which you can replace at $60 a pop, should you curb a wheel. Check the BBS USA site for available sizes; for some reason places like the Tire Rack do not list all of them as compatible.

That is just the style I was looking for actually. Great suggestion. Hopefully I can get some that fit.

Hello All,
I had a shake in the car and brought it in for service. Just got a call saying it's 4 bent rims, all of them are bent and that will be $3,090.

Obviously my jaw dropped. The car was picked up end of September, has sat for about 2 weeks, and been driven a bit over 6k miles. Not one flat or damage to rims. I am blown away by this and have to ask if anyone else with the 20" have bent rims?

As background, I am an extremely cautious driver to avoid pot holes. And I realize 20" is more prone to damage, but not this much this quick. My Audi with the sport rims has 1 bent rim in over 100k miles. And as reference, I am accustomed to large rims with low profiles tires...

Thanks all!

I had 1 bent rim here in Chicago last week.

I'm blessed to live in Chicago where there are hundreds of shops that unbend rims for $50. I stood there and watched them heat up my Tesla 20" rim and straighten it out. Its been a week with no leaks.

Reactions: Type 5
I am officially dumping my OEM 20s and getting the tsportline 18s for winter.

Looking at the M3115 for summer setup. I just got another flat with these 20s and my winter tires.

I also had the BBS CH-R on my bmw 340, but due to the weight I think the 20” setups from tsportline might be better especially for range. I’ll keep the 8.5” squares again looks are important but as is range on this vehicle.

There should be a class action lawsuit on tesla for making such a poor setup.

Beyond frustrating.

Looking at the M3115 for summer setup. I just got another flat with these 20s and my winter tires.

I also had the BBS CH-R on my bmw 340, but due to the weight I think the 20” setups from tsportline might be better especially for range. I’ll keep the 8.5” squares again looks are important but as is range on this vehicle.

Beyond frustrating.

Maybe there should be a class action suit against tattoo companies for making them permanent.

The side effects of large wheels and low profile tires are pretty well understood: worse range, worse comfort, worse tire life, higher likelihood of wheel damage, higher likelihood of tire damage. Furthermore, the performance tires should never ever ever ever ever be exposed to snow or near-freezing temps.

Unless you think Tesla should be making people sign a document acknowledging these things? That wouldn’t surprise me in today’s litigious society composed of people who don’t do one iota of research.

Reactions: wenkan
Maybe there should be a class action suit against tattoo companies for making them permanent.

The side effects of large wheels and low profile tires are pretty well understood: worse range, worse comfort, worse tire life, higher likelihood of wheel damage, higher likelihood of tire damage. Furthermore, the performance tires should never ever ever ever ever be exposed to snow or near-freezing temps.

Unless you think Tesla should be making people sign a document acknowledging these things? That wouldn’t surprise me in today’s litigious society composed of people who don’t do one iota of research.
Clearly you being in the San Francisco Bay area would not be able to relate to the issues we have in winter months. That is a silly response regarding tattoo artist. All I am saying is there should be a different alternative aside from going to third-party manufacturers for an 18 or 19 inch wheel to fit the performance series especially in winter months.

Clearly you being in the San Francisco Bay area would not be able to relate to the issues we have in winter months. That is a silly response regarding tattoo artist. All I am saying is there should be a different alternative aside from going to third-party manufacturers for an 18 or 19 inch wheel to fit the performance series especially in winter months.

My location has nothing to do with it. I bought a second set of wheels to handle winter needs and I put snow tires on those, just like I do with every car.

Nobody made you buy a car with 20 inch wheels and big brakes.

Beyond frustrating.

@Musclez,

Nail or pothole damage to tire?

Ski