Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Bent Rims - 20" - Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They WILL have alternatives very soon, the new forged performance wheels come out in the summer so you might want to wait for those. Also there are plenty of other wheel options in addition to Tsportline so you can always get something else that suits you better.
Yes I ordered the 18” TST but I just really think a manufacturer should have wheel alternatives if they sell the car in areas that have colder climates. Bmw, Audi, Porsche, VW Everyone has alternatives for even their largest and highest performance models. My Cayenne I had 21s for summer and 18s for winter. My BMWs I always had 2 sets. They all make them so it should be a standard for Tesla also. Is all I’m saying here.

I also think I shouldn’t have 2 Michelin’s Alpin blow out in a matter of 6 weeks, I’ve never had issues like this and I don’t hit holes typically at all. If I do I think these tires and wheels should be able to withstand minor holes.

Hello All,
I had a shake in the car and brought it in for service. Just got a call saying it's 4 bent rims, all of them are bent and that will be $3,090.

Obviously my jaw dropped. The car was picked up end of September, has sat for about 2 weeks, and been driven a bit over 6k miles. Not one flat or damage to rims. I am blown away by this and have to ask if anyone else with the 20" have bent rims?

As background, I am an extremely cautious driver to avoid pot holes. And I realize 20" is more prone to damage, but not this much this quick. My Audi with the sport rims has 1 bent rim in over 100k miles. And as reference, I am accustomed to large rims with low profiles tires...

Thanks all!
I had to replace two bent rims on my model s. The tire dealer told me that there has been lawsuits against BMW in the past for defective wheels. You can definitely get a better price on replacing them if you do a little research. it cost me about 750 dollars to replace the 21" wheels that I had. Good luck. I understand your frustration.

Reactions: ECCtechguy
I have had that happen in mine and family members cars. Totally stinks! But if that happened, I would understand. I cannot believe 4 bent rims, bent enough for very noticable shake, and not one flat....

I am very weary of the quality of the rims if I have 4 bent rims with under 6500 miles on them, no flats, no visual damage, and it's not even winter pothole season!

Thank you all!

This happens all the time. Wheels get bent some times. It happens. I've had it happen with multiple cars, motorcycles, etc. Sometimes you hit something and don't realize it. Just get the wheels fixed and move on.

I hit a pothole on the I-680 freeway that bent the rim of my front right tire. Plan on filing a claim with CalTrans, the road authority. They are obligated to pay for car damage caused by a pothole on roads they're responsible for maintaining. Most people don't know that though.

I hit a pothole on the I-680 freeway that bent the rim of my front right tire. Plan on filing a claim with CalTrans, the road authority. They are obligated to pay for car damage caused by a pothole on roads they're responsible for maintaining. Most people don't know that though.

I most likely had the same thing happen. I commute on 680 5 days a week and it was also my front right.

I knew about the city having to pay for damage but how do you prove it?

They WILL have alternatives very soon, the new forged performance wheels come out in the summer so you might want to wait for those. Also there are plenty of other wheel options in addition to Tsportline so you can always get something else that suits you better.

@kbecks13,

I thought these were ‘referral’ rewards.....will they be available to the general public to purchase (i.e. the Tesla shop)?

Ski

I thought these were ‘referral’ rewards.....will they be available to the general public to purchase (i.e. the Tesla shop)?

They haven't officially confirmed that they'd be available for purchase, but i think its highly likely. I doubt they would source/manufacture an entirely new wheel design for such a popular car and then not offer it to the public for a small profit and/or as part of a new Performance package.

I most likely had the same thing happen. I commute on 680 5 days a week and it was also my front right.

I knew about the city having to pay for damage but how do you prove it?
To that, I don't know. I'm just gonna file the claim and see where it goes. Today, I estimate it. It's the #3 lane (starting with HOV) about 1.5 miles north of Crow Canyon on the southbound side.

If you see me, I'm the red P3D with the P3D emblem on the bottom right of my trunk. Feel free to wave!

Clearly you being in the San Francisco Bay area would not be able to relate to the issues we have in winter months. That is a silly response regarding tattoo artist. All I am saying is there should be a different alternative aside from going to third-party manufacturers for an 18 or 19 inch wheel to fit the performance series especially in winter months.
He's probably just mad that he is on his 3rd smash and grab window repair and taking out his frustrations on you, haha!

• Funny
Reactions: ECCtechguy
With the death of the referral program I suspect they will be offering the forged wheels for the 3 as well. I don't expect them to be cheap probably in the $5-6k range.
They won't sell too many at that price! You can get some very nice aftermarket forged wheels for that price. Hopefully they start offering the forged variant as the 20" option like they should have since the beginning.

Reactions: Callawayc7